Author Topic: Halo 3 Launch event...  (Read 716 times)

Pcenginefx

Halo 3 Launch event...
« on: September 24, 2007, 12:17:31 PM »
So just a FYI, I will be at Redmond Town Center from 7PM-whenever for their Halo 3 launch festivities filming for an online gaming magazine.  I'm not a HUGE Halo fan, but will be picking this up just because it is an AAA title.

On a side note, I think Sony really needs to step up their game with the PS3.  Lair and Heavenly Sword both got lower scores than expected and those were two of their "AAA" titles for the holiday...
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Joe Redifer

Re: Halo 3 Launch event...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:45:46 PM »
Sony made a mistake by not having faulty hardware this go-round.  They did for the PS1 and PS2 and they were smashing successes.  The NES didn't have the most reliable hardware even when it was new, and it won with ease.  The Xbox360 has awful hardware stability and life and therefore it is winning.  Even my Wii failed on me and Nintendo had to replace it.

Lesson: If you want to sell lots of consoles, make crappy hardware.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:04:42 PM »
For all we know, the PS3 is every bit as crappy as the other Playstation systems. Once they make some decent games and people start using it as more than just a BluRay movie player we might begin to hear about them crapping out all over the place. :P

I'm picking up Halo 3 at midnight tonight at a local store that is giving away Fantastic 4 RotSS for Xbox 360 with every Halo 3 purchase. After playing it for 45 minutes I hope to get up to 4 hours of sleep before getting up to go to work. :dance:
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 03:05:09 PM »
Sony made a mistake by not having faulty hardware this go-round.  They did for the PS1 and PS2 and they were smashing successes.  The NES didn't have the most reliable hardware even when it was new, and it won with ease.  The Xbox360 has awful hardware stability and life and therefore it is winning.  Even my Wii failed on me and Nintendo had to replace it.

Lesson: If you want to sell lots of consoles, make crappy hardware.
Rofl rofl  :lol:

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 05:37:43 PM »
The NES didn't have the most reliable hardware even when it was new, and it won with ease.
I don't really remember NES having bad hardware, unless you're talking about the difficulty of getting the game to boot correctly because of the 74 pin connector.

While I like your theory Joe, I think it might be a bit flawed. The Genesis and SNES were huge successes and both had reliable hardware, at least their original models. Same goes with Atari 2600 and probably some other systems.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 07:40:15 PM »
Too bad [EDIT: SPOILER REMOVED]. Oh well, Halo launch will still be cool I guess.  :lol:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:08:46 PM »
Quote from: Keranu

I don't really remember NES having bad hardware, unless you're talking about the difficulty of getting the game to boot correctly because of the 74 pin connector.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

While I like your theory Joe, I think it might be a bit flawed. The Genesis and SNES were huge successes and both had reliable hardware, at least their original models. Same goes with Atari 2600 and probably some other systems.

Look what happened with the Genesis and the SNES.  Two reliable hardware platforms, no clear victor for the majority of those console's generation.  Sony came in with a new plan and look what happened.  Complete and utter victoly!

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 12:18:30 AM »
Funny, Halo 3 came out today and I wasn't even aware. The lady at EB was like, "So you here for it right?" I looked at her funny, since she really wasn't that hot. Then went, "Oh Halo 2 the remake, no thanks!". So I bought Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon after trading in some newer, not so fun anymore, but got good money, 360 games.....since I am going through RPG withdrawals and the fact that I don't own one on my 360.

They are OK and all with great cell shading graphics, but I still enjoy Dragon Quest 8 more. Maybe they will get a little more fun. Eternal Sonata is a little too easy, and Blue Dragon just seems kinda mediocre battle wise right now.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 06:22:47 AM »
So I got back from the launch event (event video should be up over at http://www.emaglive.com).  It was crazy...the EB Games there had 1,000 pre-orders, and the festivities started around 9pm.  We had Halo trivia going on with people and had prizes and everything.  Then at 11:45pm 3 tour buses full of Bungie employees came running out and all hell broke loose.  People were yelling and screaming, taking photos, signing autographs...it was crazy.  We got great interviews with high-up Bungie people which was more than what we though we would get....got done at 1am this morning and finished the interviews by 4am.  I kinda regret not buying the super-uber legendary edition of Halo so that I could get my own Master Chief helmet signed by the Bungie peeps (oh well).

I'm now at work with 3 hours of sleep...wheeeee.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 10:18:23 AM »

Look what happened with the Genesis and the SNES.  Two reliable hardware platforms, no clear victor for the majority of those console's generation.  Sony came in with a new plan and look what happened.  Complete and utter victoly!
Hmm, good point. Does this apply to portable systems as well? I don't know of any problems with various Gameboy hardware and they're always on top, same with DS.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 11:36:03 AM »
So I got back from the launch event (event video should be up over at http://www.emaglive.com).  It was crazy...the EB Games there had 1,000 pre-orders, and the festivities started around 9pm.  We had Halo trivia going on with people and had prizes and everything.  Then at 11:45pm 3 tour buses full of Bungie employees came running out and all hell broke loose.  People were yelling and screaming, taking photos, signing autographs...it was crazy.  We got great interviews with high-up Bungie people which was more than what we though we would get....got done at 1am this morning and finished the interviews by 4am.  I kinda regret not buying the super-uber legendary edition of Halo so that I could get my own Master Chief helmet signed by the Bungie peeps (oh well).

lol, you are a NERD, my good sir!  :lol:  J/K, glad you had fun.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 12:25:46 PM »
Quote from: Pcenginefx

We had Halo trivia going on

Oh dear god.

Quote from: Pcenginefx
Then at 11:45pm 3 tour buses full of Bungie employees came running out and all hell broke loose.  People were yelling and screaming, taking photos, signing autographs...it was crazy.

I am a nerd, sure, but even this is waaay past where I draw the line.  Bungie employees aren't rock stars.  I don't even go apeshit over real rock stars and celebrities.  I talk to them like normal people.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 12:47:32 PM »
Bungie employees aren't rock stars.

Well no shit.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 01:24:19 PM »
LOL!  Touché.   

Tablet

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 02:27:24 AM »
I just got my copy today, damned limited edition tin ones both discs have scratches (not so much on the game than the extra disc) but both seem to play fine for now, gonna play some co-op later with my mates should be a laugh