Author Topic: 360 Death Thread  (Read 1571 times)

Pcenginefx

360 Death Thread
« on: September 28, 2007, 07:09:27 AM »
What is a gaming forum without a 360 death thread?  I'll start.

Had my premium 360 now since March of 2006.  In June 2007 the optical drive stopped reading, and I was lucky because I was a few days out of warranty and they still took it back.  Got the system back in a week or so and everything has been fine...

...a few months ago I bought the HD-DVD add-on and have been having good times with it.  One day the system stopped booting past the splash screen and I found out that the USB port in the back of the console "burned out" (this is where I had the HD-DVD player plugged into).  No problem...just started using one of the front ports.  Now, last night as I went to charge one of my controllers, the system once again wouldn't boot past the splash screen.  The juice went dead in the USB port and I got the 3 red ring of death.  Now I have a console with two burned out USB ports and the RRoD issue.

On the bright side, Microsoft has a 3 year replacement policy for the RRoD issue and they finally have an online repair request form (no more calling support).  Bad side, it will take up to 4 weeks to get it fixed and no Halo 3 for me.  That is my story.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

GUTS

Re: 360 Death Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 08:01:56 AM »
I've owned 4 different 360 systems and never had a single problem, other than selling them when I need money for a car payment or something.  Fortunately I can get them back relatively cheap so I never lose money on the deals.  I think I deserve this luck though after paying $300 for an original playstation that stopped working 6 months later, and $300 for a ps2 that did the same thing.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 08:08:03 AM »
And this is another reason why I am holding out for a 360 that does not contain South-Of-The-Border™ build quality.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 08:13:01 AM »
Having mine break down was something I have been expecting...it's like riding a motorcycle - sooner or later you WILL fall off.

I've been working for the Xbox team for many, many years now, so I'm closer to this stuff than most people...I was happy that mine lasted as long as it did.  At least I won't need to shell out any $ to get it fixed.
//Aaron

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 08:42:23 AM »
Luckily, none of my friends have had any troubles with their 360s.  They've logged many, many hours, so it's just a matter of time.  It's sad that MS has had so many problems with the 360.  Excessive heat seems to be the main culprit, yet heat is the easiest thing to anticipate and alleviate.  Maybe they'll learn from their mistakes and their third console won't be designed by the bean counters and built by blind, syphilitic squirrels.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »
It really is sad, because if it didn't have this many hardware problems, the 360 would be sort of like the "U.S. Saturn done right".

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 09:00:31 AM »
I've owned 4 different 360 systems and never had a single problem, other than selling them when I need money for a car payment or something.  Fortunately I can get them back relatively cheap so I never lose money on the deals.  I think I deserve this luck though after paying $300 for an original playstation that stopped working 6 months later, and $300 for a ps2 that did the same thing.
Playstation systems are horrible, my bro has been through so many various Playstation systems. Has there been any similar reported problems with PS3's hardware yet?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 10:29:25 AM »
Who needs quality these days?  Nobody takes pride in their workmanship any more.

nodtveidt

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 12:15:23 PM »
Playstation systems are horrible, my bro has been through so many various Playstation systems. Has there been any similar reported problems with PS3's hardware yet?
I don't think anyone has owned or played one long enough to notice any problems. Hard to play a console for very long if there's nothing to play on it, and it's not very attractive to buy if it costs more than your mortgage payment.

Turbo D

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 01:07:21 AM »
I've never had any problems with my psx and or my ps2. Maybe I got lucky  :) They have both been kicked and stepped on a few times as well  :lol: The only console I ever had problems with was the Atari Jaguar, haha. Whenever I hear of the 360's hardware problems, I think of the shitty Jag hardware, lol. I guess there are crappy consoles in every generation  :wink:

nodtveidt

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 03:43:21 AM »
I've never had a problem with the original Playstation, but my PS2 has had problems with the laser sled rails needing lubrication. In fact, I've got to open it up and fix it soon, as it's getting cranky again. Even after I fixed it the first time, I can't get it to play Parasite Eve properly anymore, which sucks because it's one of my favorite PS1 games. :(

Joe Redifer

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 11:01:19 AM »
The motherboard on my Sega CD model 1 died recently.  Fortunately I had a spare CD unit, but it had a crusty drive.  So I swapped out the motherboards and now it works fine.

Turbo D

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 02:18:37 PM »
 :o wow, thats cool; I didn't know that it could be done  :)

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 04:41:11 AM »
I've never had a problem with the original Playstation, but my PS2 has had problems with the laser sled rails needing lubrication. In fact, I've got to open it up and fix it soon, as it's getting cranky again. Even after I fixed it the first time, I can't get it to play Parasite Eve properly anymore, which sucks because it's one of my favorite PS1 games. :(

Best way to get the PS2 working well again is to 1) do the plastic white gear adjustment, but doesn't work on all systems the same and you might not even need to do it all anyway. 2) take the lens apart completely so you can clean the lens mirror inside and the bottom of the lens. 3) of course, greasing the rails helps a lot as well.

I did numbers 2 and 3, my PS2 works almost 100% now. Still takes a little bit of time to boot past the splash screen with DVD ROM PS2 games. It used to not load some up, take longer to boot and really hated PS1 games on loading up. My PS2 is exactly 7 years old now as of this October minus some days. I can't believe it has been out that long already. I feel damn old now.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 05:53:20 AM »
Let's try to not get too far off topic here guys....thanks :wink:
//Aaron