Author Topic: 360 Death Thread  (Read 1577 times)

Keranu

Re: 360 Death Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 10:20:18 AM »
Let's try to not get too far off topic here guys....thanks :wink:
Haha, this discussion is actually a lot more relevent to the topic than many other threads we've had around here that have gotten derailed!  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Pcenginefx

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 11:13:57 AM »
I know.......and I've not enforced staying on-topic throughout the forum...but I need to start somewhere.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Joe Redifer

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 11:35:46 AM »
My 360 hasn't died yet, but a friend of mine has done a few fixes for his son's 360.  Since his is flashed to play illegally downloaded criminal games, he can't send it to Microsoft.  The red ring o' death usually is caused by the graphics hardware sagging due to gravity and heat.  Heat makes it loose, gravity makes it sag and certain solder connections become unstable.  One solution is to move to the International Space Station, another is to get an eraser cube and place it underneath the board that actually sags so that it can no longer deform.  Believe it or not, this works quite well!  Another thing you can do to prevent this from ever happening is to crank up the fans.  This is the part where my details get sketchy, but the idea I convey is 100% correct.  The internal fans are running on 5 volts, but the fans themselves are 15 volt fans (not sure about the voltage).  Anyway, somehow if you allow the fans to have more power, they will spin faster and keep the system MUCH cooler.  Yes, it's louder, but most people are probably already deaf from listening to the thing anyway.  :)

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 12:02:48 PM »
Wow,I didn't even know Aaron was still alive,let alone enforcing stay on topic rules. I thought the CIA,FBI,and ATF ran/ kept the show going these days in a extreme effort to crack down on illegal Sapphire copies being sold......

Seriously looks screwed up that the only one you'd start enforcing on is your own thread,but if you actually start doing it on as many as possible then its cool.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 12:13:24 PM »
Really one thing I have been doing to prevent my 360 from having this happen is to just keep the room really cool and not to play 5-10 hours straight. Good thing about the 360 is that I get tired of playing it for 2 or so hours, then I turn off, then turn on again to play it an hour or two later or something. I really don't care if my system gets the red rings this Christmas or so. That way I get a free 65nm Falcon chip set system instead of the doomed models. Apparently, the repaired models with heat sinks help a lot from what I have been hearing. I still got a 1 year and 9 month warranty on mine.

Digi.k

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 04:47:20 PM »
got 360 back in nov 2006.. started getting problems with the screen freezing up and getting strange pinkish pixels on the screen around feb.  Didn't have any RRoD though but MS repaired it and took 2 weeks then.

DVD drive started developing a fault back in august where it would constantly eject the drive and the disc was still spinning.. even when turning off the machine the drive would still eject...  got it repaired and took 4 weeks.. machine is much cooler now.. and i can see at the side through the holes that they added the extra heatpipe.

Love blue dragon now..

SignOfZeta

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2007, 04:56:11 AM »
I know.......and I've not enforced staying on-topic throughout the forum...but I need to start somewhere.

No, you don't.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 09:55:49 AM »
Finally got my shipping box and sent it out last Friday (after submitting an online repair request...YAY...no more calling support for a repair!).  Even though I have a PS3 and Wii, I really don't feel like playing them....hope I can get my box back before the 23rd so that I can get into Ace Combat 6.

...and speaking of Ace Combat 6, if you've not seen the new trailer, GO SEE IT!  It almost brought a tear to my eye (dialogue is kinda corny, but the presentation rocks and it's all REAL TIME graphics!)

//Aaron

Joe Redifer

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 12:26:46 PM »
Screw the trailer, download the playable demo!  It rocks!

guyjin

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 01:16:25 PM »
So my roomate bought a 360. I'm enjoying live arcade (mostly pac man CE and geometry wars) but for some reason my roomate insists on buying games on DVDs. which is a problem, because it scratches discs from time to time.

any ideas on what might cause it, and how to correct it?
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Joe Redifer

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 01:27:43 PM »
Is the Xbox360 standing up sideways on it's side?

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »

The only time my 360 scratched discs was during the week or two I played the console standing up. I'll never stand up any disc based console again.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 03:58:32 AM »

The only time my 360 scratched discs was during the week or two I played the console standing up. I'll never stand up any disc based console again.

I have my Wii standing upright. I wonder if I should lay it down? Haven't had any problems yet.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 04:31:56 AM »
Screw the trailer, download the playable demo!  It rocks!

Do that too!  I loved the demo...that's why I'm getting this one.
//Aaron

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 04:32:06 AM »

I hear ya, but what about a PC-FX?  Do you recommend laying it down too?  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles