Author Topic: 360 Death Thread  (Read 1570 times)

Pcenginefx

Re: 360 Death Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 04:36:13 AM »
The only time my 360 scratched discs was during the week or two I played the console standing up. I'll never stand up any disc based console again.

I hear ya, but what about a PC-FX?  Do you recommend laying it down too?  :lol:

I have my Wii, PS3 and 360's upright and had no issues with the disk scratching.  The only thing to remember is to make sure to NOT move the system with a disk inside of it.  Moving a console (and when I say move, I mean moving horizontal to upright and vice versa) with a disk inside (even if the game is not playing!!!) could damage the disk.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

guyjin

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 06:57:55 AM »
Is the Xbox360 standing up sideways on it's side?

it's horizontal.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Pcenginefx

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 10:13:40 AM »
Good news, my 360 has been fixed and is now being shipped from the TX repair center....the time at the repair center was only a few days.....should be back in time for Ace Combat 6 next week! :dance:
//Aaron

Digi.k

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 05:44:27 PM »
I dont think I'm ever gonna get the red light of death on my 360 ..  The air blowing out the back of those vent holes just isnt that hot anymore since MS installed the extra heatpipe/sink on the GPU. 

I'm certain that if I'm ever gonna have my 360 fail on me again it's most likely the DVD drive will fail..

Soooo can't wait for VF5!!! Love that demo and I'm sooo desperate for Lost Odyssey now too :P

Turbo D

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 10:27:46 PM »
thats good to hear. I think that someone should make a water cooling kit for the 360. Now that would be bad-ass  8)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007, 05:53:09 AM »
I dont think I'm ever gonna get the red light of death on my 360 ..  The air blowing out the back of those vent holes just isnt that hot anymore since MS installed the extra heatpipe/sink on the GPU. 

That sounds counterintuitive.  Shouldn't it be venting more heat out the back with the improved heat sink moving more heat away from the GPU?  :-k
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Pcenginefx

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 06:38:50 AM »
After playing some Halo 3 and my current favorite, Project Sylpheed for a good while this last weekend, it seems the heat out of my repaired 360 is even more than ever before....

I'm certain that if I'm ever gonna have my 360 fail on me again it's most likely the DVD drive will fail..

Soooo can't wait for VF5!!! Love that demo and I'm sooo desperate for Lost Odyssey now too :P

I also tried the VF5 demo - I was a huge VF1 and 2 fan on the Saturn back in the day.  Pretty much played exactly like I remember it...with even worse voice acting :\

Lost Odyssey looks VERY good from the trailer.  I'm not huge into RPG games but with enough action in it I'm game.  On my list to buy for the rest of the year:

10.23.07 - Ace Combat 6 (360)
10.23.07 - Eye of Judgement (PS3)
10.23.07 - Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
11.5.07 - Call of Duty 4 (PC)
11.12.07 - Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
11.20.07 - Mass Effect (360-this game will own me for life)
11.20.07 - time Crisis 4 (PS3-love them gun games)

Everything else I'll gamefly if there is time, but this should keep me way more than busy for a while.  I also just finished Heavenly Sword...if you have a PS3, rent it and beat it...just don't buy it.
//Aaron

FM-77

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 01:20:53 PM »
I have 36 of them. 0 are working.

Digi.k

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 10:11:05 AM »
That sounds counterintuitive.  Shouldn't it be venting more heat out the back with the improved heat sink moving more heat away from the GPU?  :-k

well this is a pic of the 360's innards as it was since its launch (I cant believe how close the dvd drive is sitting just ontop of the GPU and look how small the GPU heat sink is compared to the CPU's)   :

and these are hopefully what recent 360's (that have been sent in for repair) should have installed in their new refurbished 360's ( i know this is true for european 360 owners)

I got that installed when my 360 got sent back this september and its running much cooler especially at the air extracted at the back of the machine..

This pic is very crude.. but thats taken near the front of the 360 at the sides and trying to poke the camera as close to the vent holes and that amber eye thing is the tip of the newly installed heat pipe.

even on the weekends leaving the machine running for 12+ hours the air extracted never feels like its any higher than 37~40 celcius and this is from playing between oblivion IV, Ninety Nine Nights, Phantasy Star Universe and VF5 or any of my HD DVD movies (almost) back to back..   plus the discs don't feel as hot when you take them out (after long play times) like they used to.. and yes this includes 8 hour campaign run with 3 other ppl on Halo 3

Before I had that heatpipe installed the air extracted was HOT enough to heat up my room during the winter period .. seriously >.>
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:45:38 PM by Digi.k »

nodtveidt

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 05:52:22 PM »
I also tried the VF5 demo - I was a huge VF1 and 2 fan on the Saturn back in the day.  Pretty much played exactly like I remember it...with even worse voice acting :\
I had the chance to try the VF5 demo at a Gamestop down here a couple of weeks ago. It was pathetically easy and I utterly annihilated every character in the game (all four of them) with ease, and I'm not even a VF fan (actually, I always thought the games sucked). I found the Rey Mysterio wannabe character amusing though, but not enough to warrant buying the game + system.

Turbo D

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2007, 06:36:03 PM »
haha, that dude does look like rey mysterio  :lol:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2007, 04:08:45 AM »
@ Digi.k

I have no doubt that the heat sink improvements have helped keep the 360's innards cool, but the CPU and GPU are still generating the same amount of heat (unless MS has made some processor modifications that I'm unaware of).  I'm betting that the air coming out the back feels cooler because the fan was modified to increase the volume of air moved (by increasing the fan speed or better blade design).  Either that, or MS has changed the CPU and/or GPU to let them lower their voltage (speed) when full tilt processing power isn't required (less voltage = less heat).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Digi.k

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2007, 11:12:13 AM »
well theres also the possibility of new 360's featuring a new smaller chipsets which are 65nanometer in size but then I've also heard that in 2008 MS will also bring out an even smaller chipset of 45nm running even more cooler and energy efficient..  ah rumours rumours  :^o

but ya.. the fans at the back of the 360 dont make as much racket as they used to either.. they still noisy tho.. just not that loud anymore

Does anyone else do this too?  when you finish playing a game and the 360 is warm,  exit back to the 360 dashboard take out the game and just leave the machine on for a few minutes before switching off to let it gradually cool down rather than cool down quickly?  I dunno if this is a good idea but its what someone suggested to me and I've done ever since then..

and as for VF5 oh my gosh its really purrrtty....  and everything is just sooo shiny (actual game is harder than the demo.. besides theres always ramping up the difficulty or battling online) :O

Other thing I wanna point out is people using component cables the contrast and colour is quite vivid but its waaay too dark for my tastes.. I'm using VGA cables and its much brighter although the contrast isnt as strong
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:19:29 AM by Digi.k »

Turbo D

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2007, 01:13:16 PM »
It looks great and clear on my ps3.