Author Topic: The similarity is ASTOUNDING.  (Read 854 times)

Kitsunexus

The similarity is ASTOUNDING.
« on: September 29, 2007, 06:53:04 AM »

This is the Panasonic 3D0 Realplayer. It looks like the Duo, but more importantly it looks like:

The Playstation 3.

You know what else they have in common? Both of them were insanely expensive when launched (This model of 3D0 was $1000), they both had the latest technology for their time inside of them, they both tried to be the center of the home entertainment system, and they both suck because they have lackluster games.

This is just an observation I've made.

Keranu

Re: The similarity is ASTOUNDING.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 07:49:07 AM »
I can never expect what these threads are about from reading their title names :D .

Keep in mind that the 3DO you posted is the FZ-10 model, which came later. The price and home entertainment part is right though.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Digi.k

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 07:56:10 AM »
looks more like a duo but ya it does look close to a ps3..

If you posted this on a sony fanboy forum you'll probably get lynched!

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 10:03:04 AM »
Not really  :?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 11:20:23 AM »
It also looks like an Amiga CD32, and one of the later models of of CD-I...also, like of like a Marty, but a different color. It also looks like the prototype system from Taito that was never released (which I'm pretty sure was a PC Engine in disguise)

A lot of consoles looked the same back then.

BTW, I don't think any model of 3D0 was $1000 at any point. Not even in Japan, and this is a later priced-down model. It was more like $700 which is, adjusted for inflation, about what a PS3 cost.

Of course, as shitty as the PS3 is, blind loyalty will keep the user base high, and eventually software worth playing will be released, the price will come down, and someday, probably, it will be a machine worth owning. It's hard to imagine, but this is exactly what happened to the PS2. That thing was f*cking worthless when it came out, but now it has the best software library of any currently supported system.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 11:29:38 AM by SignOfZeta »

Turbo D

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 11:49:53 AM »
Lol, great comparison Kitsu  :) The sad thing is that I own both those consoles  :(

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 12:23:28 PM »
You guys are also forgetting that it even looks kinda-sorta similar to the Wondermega and X'eye.

The 3DO was $699 when it originally launched.  I bought one on the day of its release.  I eventually got rid of it and never missed it.  The model in your picture cost $399 I think.  3DO never tried to be the center of home entertainment besides playing audio CDs and Photo CDs.  It could NOT play VideoCDs.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 12:26:46 PM by Joe Redifer »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 01:49:17 PM »
Depending on where you went the Fz-10 could be had for $299.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »
You guys are also forgetting that it even looks kinda-sorta similar to the Wondermega and X'eye.

The 3DO was $699 when it originally launched.  I bought one on the day of its release.  I eventually got rid of it and never missed it.  The model in your picture cost $399 I think.  3DO never tried to be the center of home entertainment besides playing audio CDs and Photo CDs.  It could NOT play VideoCDs.

It can if you have  a mpeg adapter. At least the 3DO has some nice games. It takes too much heat from people who never invested real quality time with it.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »
To my knowledge there was never an MPEG adapter, though I do remember one being talked about.  I never saw anything in the stores, and I don't think the FZ-1 even had anywhere to hook on external peripherals at all.  Kind of made that whole "M2" thing pretty silly.  Road Rash and Return Fire were the best games on the system.  I didn't feel those two games were worth keeping the system for since I could just get them on the PS.  Also, the 3DO was one of the slowest loading systems EVER.  Piece of shit.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 07:16:31 PM »
Wrongo, Joe.  Panasonic did sell mpeg adapters in Japan that attached to the AV expansion port.  If memory serves, Goldstar also sold an adapter along with a disc of Total Recall.  Anyway you look at it, the adapters were overpriced and sold like poo.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 07:23:47 PM »
Yea the Mpeg  was out there,but hard to get,and did not work on all models. My understanding is the Goldstar one only works on GoldStar units and the Panasonic one only worked on one of the Fz models,not both. 3DO direct sold the Panasonic one in limited numbers. The Goldstar one I saw alot in game stores,it included Total Recall in a pack in deal similar to the CD-I one that included Black Rain and Dances with Wolves.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 07:24:45 PM »
Wow,Necromancer,you and I both jumped on that one fast.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 07:27:52 PM »
Also,I always felt the 3DO loaded faster,depending on the game,compared to PS1,esp on the few fighters 3DO got. That and you didn't have to flip early model 3DO decks upside down in order to play the games.

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 07:33:22 PM »
Yeah I've never really had a problem with my 3DO's loading time, Saturn and Playstation seemed worse for that to me.

Quote from: Michael Helgeson
That and you didn't have to flip early model 3DO decks upside down in order to play the games.
True. I like how PS2's came with a vertical stand to make it "look" cool when in reality it was there because Sony was afraid it wouldn't work unless you tilted the system over just like the original ;) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).