Author Topic: The similarity is ASTOUNDING.  (Read 859 times)

Kitsunexus

Re: The similarity is ASTOUNDING.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 08:26:15 PM »
Actually, the PS1 works like normal for 1.5 years, then the internal sabotage timer goes off and you have to flip it over for another 1.5 years. Then the internal sabotage timer goes off again, and you can take it to the office and use it as a paperweight, or make a really odd bling-bling.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 12:01:57 AM »
I guess I'm the only person on the planet that had an FZ-1 3DO, because that model was slooooooow.  Loading up Crash and Burn took forever.  Road Rash was loooong as well.  The Saturn loads really fast on most games.  It blows the PS1 away in that regard.  The Wii is a really slow loader... anyone play Metroid Prime 3?

The 3DO really showed its weakness when it attempted to run Gex.  I was suddenly reminded of Ys 3 on the TurboGrafx in regards to the scrolling.  ;)  What a weak piece of dogshit.  I hope Trip Hawkins gets a severely bad case of diarrhea.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 12:04:03 AM by Joe Redifer »

Turbo D

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 01:01:52 AM »
I never had problems with my psx. I even had it chipped. It works to this day  :)

The 3DO really showed its weakness when it attempted to run Gex.  I was suddenly reminded of Ys 3 on the TurboGrafx in regards to the scrolling.  ;)  What a weak piece of dogshit.  I hope Trip Hawkins gets a severely bad case of diarrhea.

Gex is actually pretty good. The last boss had some good FX, you should check it out  :wink:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 01:03:51 AM »
My Playstation still works as well.

I did have Gex.  It was much too choppy for me.  The Saturn version is much smoother, but I only rented it.  I never cared enough about the game to buy it again.

esteban

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 01:12:16 AM »
I guess I'm the only person on the planet that had an FZ-1 3DO, because that model was slooooooow.  Loading up Crash and Burn took forever.  Road Rash was loooong as well.  The Saturn loads really fast on most games.  It blows the PS1 away in that regard.  The Wii is a really slow loader... anyone play Metroid Prime 3?

I think Trip has already had a bad case... many years ago. :)

I actually like a bunch of games for the 3DO, but it is much easier to appreciate something when you're not paying full-price. If I had owned the 3DO back in the day, I think I would have been pretty frustrated.
  |    | 

Turbo D

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 01:14:26 AM »
I actually like a bunch of games for the 3DO, but it is much easier to appreciate something when you're not paying full-price. If I had owned the 3DO back in the day, I think I would have been pretty frustrated.

Agreed, I couldn't see handing over all that cash back in the day  :lol:

esteban

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 03:47:12 AM »

Agreed, I couldn't see handing over all that cash back in the day  :lol:
I know. It was mind-boggling, since I didn't have a proper job. Oh wait, it would have still been expensive even if I had a proper job!

|    | 

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 12:14:44 PM »
Yeah I've never really had a problem with my 3DO's loading time, Saturn and Playstation seemed worse for that to me.

You haven't lived until you have tried to play Last Blade 2 or Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 on a Neo CD

SignOfZeta

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 01:19:49 PM »
The KOFs are way worse since they load three times as often. The Neo CD isn't as bad as people make it out to be. And no, I'm being one of these fools standing up for shit like 3DO or Jag when I say this. Seriously, Neo Geo CD isn't that bad. Its a bummer for KOF98 since often more time is spent loading than playing, but for stuff like Metal Slug 2, where the play time between loads is much longer, the Neo CD is a good alternative to expensive AES carts or even Saturn conversions. Of course MVS is the best choice, but most people just won't do that for some reason.

Honestly though, the thing with load times is that we get more and more used to them. Its amazing to think that people ever complained about load times on PC Engine, the vast majority of which are less than 5 seconds.

As time goes on people will seem to tolerate more and more. Test Drive Le Mans on PS2 loads just as long as any Neo CD title, where as the DC version only takes about half as long. Certain XBox games load like a mofo as well.

What I like is that most 1st party Nintendo games for GC, and what I've seen of Wii, have very little load times. I've never played Metroid Prime 3, but Wii Sports and Warioware basically don't have any load time. GC stuff like Mario Kart Double Dash, etc also has no load time, and I have to think that this is a conscious decision. I wish other developers/publishers would consider it.

What pisses me off is to see load times in PS2 conversions of 2D fighters like Neo Geo Battle Colosseum or Fist of the North Star since the same sorts of fighters from the same companies had zero load time on DC, and often even on the Saturn.

MSHvsSF on Saturn=zero load time. Fist of the North Star on PS2=I've forgotten which character I picked by the time its loaded.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 01:58:57 PM »
Quote from: SignOfZeta

Honestly though, the thing with load times is that we get more and more used to them. Its amazing to think that people ever complained about load times on PC Engine, the vast majority of which are less than 5 seconds.

I couldn't agree more.  The Turbo seems like it loads super fast since the PS1 and PS2 were the most popular consoles of their generations, and they loaded slower than glaciers on may occasions.  Of course Gate of Thunder's load times have always amazed me, especially when it was brand new.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 02:44:59 PM »
NeoCD would have rocked, if they would have just cut the redbook audio. Seriously, the Neo·Geo's soundchip is AMAZING, and they would have had enough room to keep all the animation frames if they had just cut the redbook.

I'm not saying I don't ENJOY the Redbook, I'm just saying that if they had cut it and kept the arcade experience, we might see SNK instead of Sony.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 03:22:23 PM »
NeoCD would have rocked, if they would have just cut the redbook audio. Seriously, the Neo·Geo's soundchip is AMAZING, and they would have had enough room to keep all the animation frames if they had just cut the redbook.

Most Neo CD games do have all the animation. The only ones that are cut, at least from what I recall, were the older pre-CD games that were all converted to CD in a mad rush post-facto. KOF98 is, from what I could tell, just about perfect plus load times.

If you are thinking maybe that the room on the CD couldn't contain all of both the redbook music, and the graphical data. This is not the case. The actual game data (not CD audio) is well under 100MB on almost any Neo CD game leaving the rest of the CD useless for anything but redbook. The reason animation in any 2D game on CD is cut is because of the RAM shortcomings of the system. This is one of the reasons why the PS1 has such an incredibly shitty port of KOF98, where as the Neo CD one is perfect (plus hella load) even though they both use the same sized media: The Neo CD has way more memory than a PS1

Either way having redbook music if anything would have saved memory (thus making more animation possible) since with the music coming from the CD, no memory is needed for the sample-heavy tunage they were using at the time.

I'm not saying I don't ENJOY the Redbook, I'm just saying that if they had cut it and kept the arcade experience, we might see SNK instead of Sony.

Um...no.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 06:16:58 PM »
Ps1 models up to Model number 5xxx tended to last no more then 6 months to a year if you played games often. My first 1xxx died after 2 months. This was back when the laser was placed close to the power supply area. Heat kills. They fixed the issue with the 7xxx on up. I owned a FZ1. I never had any complaints about the load times,and I only like the PC and 3DO ports of Need for Speed and Road Rash,along with Total Eclipse and Off World Interceptor and the Wing Commanders. I also liked Super SF 2 Turbo/X and Sam Sho 1 on 3DO more then on PS1.

I still feel like that Sam Shodown 1/2 port on PS1 is = to dog shit. And games like ShockWave 2 blew me away on that system. There are some really nice import titles on it too. The 3DO was just different. You either liked it alot or hated it. I still think its amazing it was the first system to have all the video jacks including S-Video,while both the Saturn and Ps1 on up still skimp on this to this very day.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
Having all of the video jacks was pretty nice.  Made it much more difficult to get anything better than s-video out of it, though.  Road Rash was indeed best on the 3DO.  Need for Speed... not so much.  The PS1 and Saturn versions took a very small bump in texture resolution on their versions, but they moved so much better and they had a whole bunch of other tracks that were worth playing as well.  The PS1 added extra texture warping to its version and some nice, dirty grain as well!  Those two extra touches are what made PS1 games the favorite of the world.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »
LOL when all the other consoles are in the locker room comparing Z-Buffer sizes, PS1 gets called a queer and gets beaten up.