Author Topic: Why play Fighting Street when you can play Gate of Thunder?  (Read 534 times)

Black Tiger

Why play Fighting Street when you can play Gate of Thunder?
« on: October 02, 2007, 04:11:43 AM »
I like how whenever kotaku posts something Turbo/PCE related, they act like they're biggest diehard PC Engine fans around and go out on a limb throwing out references that aren't necessarily directly related to the story, basically just to brag about how down with the Turbographics-Duo they are. And they always get them wrong. :clap:

Hudson Entertainment updated its Virtual Console release list today, giving us a preview of the game's the company will be releasing for the Wii in October. Two of those titles happen to be the first games originally released on the TurboGrafx-CD platform, Super Air Zonk and Gate of Thunder.

Its one thing that the Turby-Duel came packed with GoT, but Super Air Zonk was one of the very last CD games released. And although you might think that they believe that the TurboGrafx-CD is the name of the TurboDuo, they regularly refer to PC Engine games as TurboDuo games.

Play magazine does this kind of thing all the time, tossing around not-so obscure references to try d hardcore. Like their recent list of the best Genesis games which noted how the Genesis was powered by the mighty Z80. 8)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:24:56 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Why play Fighting Street when you can play Gate of Thunder?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:57:53 AM »
They're so f-ing l33t!  They know everything about everything.  I want to blow them.

PS - So that's where the Blast ProcessingTM came from: the ol' Zilog.  Duh!  It's so obvious now - thanks Play magazine.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 08:35:52 AM »
Kotaku is just another fine game example of poor gaming journalism. And people wonder why gaming isn;t taken seriously. :roll:

Actually, I don't want gaming to be taken seriously at all, I would just like idiots like this to stop representing it, and also I would like people to stop trying to recognize video games as art. We don't need pretentiousness.

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 12:08:11 PM »
Great find, BT!

I like how whenever kotaku posts something Turbo/PCE related, they act like they're biggest diehard PC Engine fans around and go out on a limb throwing out references that aren't necessarily directly related to the story, basically just to brag about how down with the Turbographics-Duo they are. And they always get them wrong. :clap:

HAHAHA, this is 100% true! It really makes me cringe whenever I see them discuss Turbo!

Quote from: Kotaku
The former, a sequel to shooter Air Zonk, features a CD-quality soundtrack loaded with rockabilly tunes...

Ehh not quite, Kotaku guys - more like an "update". Not to mention it's HuCard version is already available on the VC, so nothing to get too excited there guys :P .

I don't know about you, but I'm ready to start overturning cars and setting them alight based on this exciting news.

Ohh I'm sure you are ;) !
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 12:47:17 PM »
I remember when I got my TurboGrafx-CD-ROM as a graduation present in 1991.  I got the first two games ever released for the system, Gate of Thunder (which featured the yet-to-be-programmed Bonk's Revenge) and Super Air Zonk.  I was upset because I couldn't play the games.  I called NEC to ask why they wouldn't work and they said it was because they hadn't invented the Super System Card yet.  I asked them when they'd do that, and they said when someone in Japan gets the idea to perhaps add more memory to CD games and stuff.

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »
Wow, so the Air Zonk sequel come out before the prequel!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 01:20:21 PM »
No.  The original Air Zonk was one of the first two games released on the HuCard format.  Duh.

TR0N

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 03:37:17 PM »

Hudson Entertainment updated its Virtual Console release list today, giving us a preview of the game's the company will be releasing for the Wii in October. Two of those titles happen to be the first games originally released on the TurboGrafx-CD platform, Super Air Zonk and Gate of Thunder.

Its one thing that the Turby-Duel came packed with GoT, but Super Air Zonk was one of the very last CD games released. And although you might think that they believe that the TurboGrafx-CD is the name of the TurboDuo, they regularly refer to PC Engine games as TurboDuo games.

Play magazine does this kind of thing all the time, tossing around not-so obscure references to try d hardcore. Like their recent list of the best Genesis games which noted how the Genesis was powered by the mighty Z80. 8)

LOL and some more on that far as them being off on there facts.

It's sad when ppl who run these sites were not around for,TG16 all of a sudden think there the expert on it.

Again i'll never understand why these people can't do some "research at least so they have there facts right.

That's like when i link that video for what killed the arcades,and the people in it didn't have a clue.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

nat

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 04:30:51 PM »

The former, a sequel to shooter Air Zonk, features a CD-quality soundtrack loaded with rockabilly tunes...
Ehh not quite, Kotaku guys - more like an "update". Not to mention it's HuCard version is already available on the VC, so nothing to get too excited there guys :P .

Really?

Is it just me, or is Super Air Zonk a completely different game? I always thought of it as a sequel.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »
It's a completely different game and it doesn't have any parallax scrolling.

nat

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 06:08:42 PM »

Yeah, I know. That's my point.

Keranu said it's not a sequel, but an "update". Wouldn't an update indicate that it was the same game with modifications for the better? Super Air Zonk is a completely different game, therefor a sequel in the same manner Bonk's Revenge is a sequel to Bonk's Adventure.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 06:31:23 PM »
Well I haven't really gotten into the hugely complex and meticulously crafted storyline that is the basis of the Air Zonk series of games, so I don't know if it is a true sequel in that it continues the epic story arch and character development started in the first game or not.  But all of the stages are completely different and many of the power-ups seem different, too.  The thing that it has most in common with the first one is that it is a crappy game.  Air Zonk was never great.

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 08:36:26 PM »

Yeah, I know. That's my point.

Keranu said it's not a sequel, but an "update". Wouldn't an update indicate that it was the same game with modifications for the better? Super Air Zonk is a completely different game, therefor a sequel in the same manner Bonk's Revenge is a sequel to Bonk's Adventure.
I haven't played Super Air Zonk, but I've always been told it was more of an update if anything. CD music plus extra stages and for some weird reason, lack of parallax.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 08:53:23 PM »
I can't believe even for a second that there is a game for the PC Engine/TurboGrafx that you haven't played.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 11:53:28 PM »
I think this is just a case of bad writing skills. I think what they mean so say is that these are the first TG-16 CD games (as opposed to HuCard) released for the VC (in the US).

Unless other CD games have already been released (I haven't been checking), then they are just hacks, I guess.

Well, either way they are hacks.