Author Topic: River City Ransom TG-16 CD!  (Read 1158 times)

nat

Re: River City Ransom TG-16 CD!
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 11:10:47 AM »
I never knew before this thread that River City Ransom came out on the Turbo.

From the screenshots on the linked site, the graphics look waaaaay improved over the NES version.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it looks waaay improved

I would. :)

That's the page I looked at originally that gave me that impression. Graphics look crisper and 10x more colorful. What more could you ask for? They could've added more detail, but that would ruin the cartoony look of the game.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 12:34:10 PM »
I was never really able to get into this game.  I don't really see the appeal.  The best thing about the game is that the characters say BARF! all the time.

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 04:32:59 PM »
From the looks of it, the PCE version simply takes all the graphics from the NES version and splashes more color into them without changing the actual shape of things, which is pretty cool :) .

Also I didn't notice this until I saw the link Black_Tiger posted, but the Japanese versions show the characters with white pants while the All-American version gets blue jeans. SCORE FOR AMERICA!  8)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ccovell

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 05:57:27 PM »
Naxat/Technos did the same colourizing-without-redrawing-the-graphics thing with the Nekketsu sports game on the PCE.  I don't like that style, really, as it does look like a recoloured NES game.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 08:29:05 PM »
Also I didn't notice this until I saw the link Black_Tiger posted, but the Japanese versions show the characters with white pants while the All-American version gets blue jeans. SCORE FOR AMERICA!  8)

Yeah, the blue jeans look better than Chibi Tony Montana. :P

Gentlegamer

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 07:36:11 AM »
This confirms that the PC Engine was the greatest video game console ever.

Zeta-Gouki

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
Naxat/Technos did the same colourizing-without-redrawing-the-graphics thing with the Nekketsu sports game on the PCE.  I don't like that style, really, as it does look like a recoloured NES game.

Are we looking at the same pictures here? The graphics (especially backgrounds) look quite updated to me. The PCE version is indeed superior in every aspect compared to the NES/FC version imo.

And I'm really surprised so few people here knew of this game's existence. It always fetched a pretty penny in the early 90s on the old Turbolist BBS. Probably still does on eBay or Yahoo Japan.

ccovell

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 07:01:41 PM »
Right.  Well, maybe I should say resized/reimagined... anything but a more colourful version of the NES graphics at just about the same size.

Black Tiger

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2007, 08:09:42 AM »

Are we looking at the same pictures here? The graphics (especially backgrounds) look quite updated to me. The PCE version is indeed superior in every aspect compared to the NES/FC version imo.

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 10:53:02 AM »
Looking at those screenshots, I kinda prefer the graphics in the NES version of Jackie Chan.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Bonknuts

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 12:05:29 PM »
I think for the Downtown Nekketsu, the re-coloring of the tiles/sprites works without flaw. It has the closest feeling of the original, which I loved, but with better graphics and without losing style. Other games... maybe not so. The SFC one(s) has different art and totally ruins the game IMO.

GUTS

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 01:42:10 PM »
Damn, Double Dragon II looks awesome, I really need to get a copy of that.

Keranu

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 06:24:41 PM »
I think for the Downtown Nekketsu, the re-coloring of the tiles/sprites works without flaw. It has the closest feeling of the original, which I loved, but with better graphics and without losing style. Other games... maybe not so. The SFC one(s) has different art and totally ruins the game IMO.
Yeah I dig seeing 8-bit graphics recolored for 16-bit, it's very nice for keeping the original feel intact. Still on the other hand, it's sweet to see more details added, like in the Double Dragon II comparison (I wonder how the arcade graphics compare... SCREENSHOTS NOW!).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 06:35:22 AM »
I like aspects of both Jackie Chan art, just like how I like aspects of both music.

Black Tiger

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 07:37:03 AM »
Looking at those screenshots, I kinda prefer the graphics in the NES version of Jackie Chan.

Thats what makes real aesthetic remakes so great, you get two cool versions of the same game instead of just the same game twice.

I still like recolored ports and am glad that the PCE River City Ransom kept the art intact, but its not a huge leap in visuals by PCE standards and not nearly recolored as nice as it could've been.

Yeah I dig seeing 8-bit graphics recolored for 16-bit, it's very nice for keeping the original feel intact. Still on the other hand, it's sweet to see more details added, like in the Double Dragon II comparison (I wonder how the arcade graphics compare... SCREENSHOTS NOW!).

Years ago when I first found out that the PCE DDII wasn't a port of the arcade version I was disappointed(we never had the arcade in my hometown, I only tried it once in Shelbyville). But now I regret not trying it each time I see pics or clips of it.

I was still disappointed further to hear that the Megadrive DDII port is supposed to suck.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:05:27 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum