Author Topic: Golgo 13!  (Read 599 times)

MotoRoaderMike

Golgo 13!
« on: October 03, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »
Golgo 13 is so badass! I remember when I had first seen the NES game back in 1997 when I would look at the few screenshots of it in this old issue of Nintendo Power that was lying around, but never got to play the game until 1998, thanks to the wonderful miracle known as emulation. I remember constantly looking at those screenshots, and the game looked so AWESOME! I was so anxious to play it! And being really intrigued by the protagonist the game is named after:

I also remember my older brother tried to convince me the game was bad, and I was just like "Yeah, sure. Whatever.". That wasn't what I said, that was just like the attitude I had towards his comments. And when I played it, I really liked it alot! The first 10-15 times I played, I couldn't figure out what to do after Condor got killed, but when I did, I started to really like the game even more! And when I got to one of the 3D maze sequences, I was excited! Those 3D maze parts were so awesome! And really impressive for an 8-bit game! All those FPS games like Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, Halo, Half Life, etc. Those games don't exist without this game! I still like this game alot to this day and there are periods of time where I get really obsessed with it. It's one of the most innovative games on the NES with all those different types of gameplay involved, especially those badass maze sequences. To this day I still can't get passed the "Fangbacks Building" on Act 7, and I tried a walkthrough, but it was in-accurate. Anyway, they also did a sequel called "The Mafat Conspiracy" which is far superior in graphics and sound, but for some reason, I don't enjoy it as much as the original, but it's also a good game too. And there was also two anime movies made. The first one being 1983's "The Professional", featuring a great english dub directed by the great Carl Macek (Anime wouldn't be where it is in America today without him!), and I never got to see it until 2005, because back when I had become a fan of the NES game, I was too young to see it, and when I did see it, damn, it wasn't just one of the most violent animated films I've ever seen, but one of the most violent movies I've ever seen period! In fact I think it might be more violent than Scarface! Anyway, there was also another anime movie in 1998 called "Queen Bee", but I'm yet to see that one. There was supposed to be a new Golgo 13 game for the N64, but it got canned, and I was pissed when I heard it was! That game would've been awesome!

Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

rag-time4

Re: Golgo 13!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »
It always looked like a sweet game to me too!

I also remember seeing it in Nintendo Power... but to this day I have never played it! The stupid thing is that I own a copy of the original, along with the manual...

You probably won't forgive me for this, but I first saw it in Nintendo Power when the Nintendo Power just came out back in the 80s...

I have seen the movie, and I thought it was awesome too!

Duke Togo hasn't been heard from in too long... he needs another game!

MotoRoaderMike

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 05:18:40 PM »

Yeah, a new game on the Wii or 360 would be totally kick ass. I'm surprised that there's not some big fan-site hosted on its own URL with like loads of Golgo-related stuff.

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »
I've heard a lot about this game, I'll have to check it out  8)

TR0N

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 07:10:32 PM »
That's how i found about golo13 through the nes games.

DukeTogo is man the beside he has np getting the ladies.

Beside the anime ever read the manga motoroadermike ?

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

MotoRoaderMike

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 08:17:28 PM »

Negative, but yeah, Duke Togo is such a badass. And definately give him credit for easily being able to get chicks!

Kitsunexus

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »
Yeah because of Golgo 13 being such a great game, I found out it was a great anime as well.

The Professional is also a good live-action film starring Jean Reno, but that really has nothing to do with Golgo. ;)

rag-time4

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 03:59:43 PM »

Yeah, a new game on the Wii or 360 would be totally kick ass. I'm surprised that there's not some big fan-site hosted on its own URL with like loads of Golgo-related stuff.

In retrospect, it is rather interesting.... Nintendo Power gave the original Golgo 13 quite a bit of attention if I remember right...

Then again, maybe I remember it that way because the game looked so cool.

I really don't know why another game was never made, given the hype the first one got. Maybe the Mafat Conspiracy sequel for NES didn't sell very well????

TR0N

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »

Negative, but yeah, Duke Togo is such a badass. And definately give him credit for easily being able to get chicks!
Realy,you sould check out the manga then gives ya more of a complete story.

Check out amazon and other sites that sell it.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SignOfZeta

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 04:50:45 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if this series experienced some sort of revival ala Black Jack, or Fist of the North Star. The depressing mediocrity of most anime made in the last decade often leaves people yearning for the more soulful stuff from the 70s/80s.

rag-time4

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 07:55:37 PM »
Mike: Forgive the obviousness of this, but if you haven't already seen them, you'll probably get a big kick out of the wikipedia pages for Golgo 13:the character wiki, the first NES game, a very brief wiki for the second NES game, and finally a brief KLOV on the golgo 13 arcade game that sadly doesn't have any photos of the cabinet.

WoodyXP

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 12:41:34 AM »
I'll always associate Golgo13 with my tonsil operation.  It think it was back in '86... I was laying in the
hospital bed reading some video game magazine... and the featured game was Golgo13.  I thought
to myself.. 'damn that game is pimp'.

rag-time4

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 08:58:10 AM »

to myself.. 'damn that game is pimp'.

That's pretty much what I thought.... yet I've never taken the time to play it! (and I own it now!!)

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 12:54:18 PM »
I remember playing the first one on NES around 1989 or so when my neighbor brought it over. We got to the part where him and the lady hookup. Andrew went, "Dude they are having sex in this next scene!!". I went, "No Way!!!". Then there is just them in a room and the lights go out from a long shot of the building, haha.

I ended up buying Mafat Conspiracy around 94 from funcoland and played the hell out of it. I never knew that if you own the manual to these games you get the maps of the mazes. What big ass difference that made opposed to the trial by error dead ends and falling through floor traps. Anybody try out the Master System version??? Plays like cabal,  even though I only tried it for a little while, it did seem very basic.

rag-time4

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 02:54:42 PM »
I remember playing the first one on NES around 1989 or so when my neighbor brought it over. We got to the part where him and the lady hookup. Andrew went, "Dude they are having sex in this next scene!!". I went, "No Way!!!". Then there is just them in a room and the lights go out from a long shot of the building, haha.

I ended up buying Mafat Conspiracy around 94 from funcoland and played the hell out of it. I never knew that if you own the manual to these games you get the maps of the mazes. What big ass difference that made opposed to the trial by error dead ends and falling through floor traps. Anybody try out the Master System version??? Plays like cabal,  even though I only tried it for a little while, it did seem very basic.

Master System version?? That's not mentioned in the wiki article!