Author Topic: Third-Party Developer Matchup!!!  (Read 1534 times)

runinruder

Re: Third-Party Developer Matchup!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 04:10:38 PM »
Naxat had its name on a lot of good games: the Crushes, Psychosis, Spriggan, Nexzr, Kaze Kiri, Faussete Amour, Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom), Mahjong Sword, etc.  The only Irem entry I care much for at this point is Ninja Spirit. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

cho_aniki

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 04:21:52 PM »

I really like both Naxat and Irem games, however Photograph Boy tips the scale in favour of Irem for me, as it is one of the five games I most enjoy on
 the Pc-engine. 

Kitsunexus

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 04:23:39 PM »
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom)

Wasn't Naxat just the publisher on that? I know Technos made the NES version, did Naxat handle the TG-16 port?

runinruder

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 04:27:25 PM »
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom)

Wasn't Naxat just the publisher on that? I know Technos made the NES version, did Naxat handle the TG-16 port?

I thought it was established we were just going by releases.  I don't know what the hell Naxat "developed" on their own, I just noted some releases with their name on it.  I assume that was Nat's original intention with the poll since he cited the Crushes in the first post and everyone seems to say these days that Compile developed those.     

Kitsunexus

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 04:29:03 PM »
Well shit dude, I see your point but you don't have to jump on me for it!  :roll:

Keranu

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 06:15:44 PM »
Yeah I agree and think that all Naxat games, developed or published, should be counted (same with Irem).
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 06:48:40 PM »
Yeah I agree and think that all Naxat games, developed or published, should be counted (same with Irem).

Absolutely.

This poll is supposed to be a fun comparison of games from two different sources, not a forum for arguing semantics of the term "developer."

Runinruder hit the nail on the head with his last comment:

I thought it was established we were just going by releases.  I don't know what the hell Naxat "developed" on their own, I just noted some releases with their name on it. 

Also...

I really like both Naxat and Irem games, however Photograph Boy tips the scale in favour of Irem for me, as it is one of the five games I most enjoy on
 the Pc-engine. 

I never noticed IREM's name on Photograph Boy. I had no idea!

I was expecting this thread to be more about which company helped the system more but it looks like it's more about our own preference.

It can be either, or both. It's all opinion! Although my initial question was intended more to hear everyone's personal preference.

In terms of which I prefer, I initially wanted to say Naxat Soft right away, but I'm not so sure and I do agree with Nat a lot about Irem's warm fuzzy feeling.

I can often times tell an IREM game right off the bat my first time playing it, even if I ignore the title screen. I remember the first time I played Legend of Hero Tonma, no more than 30 seconds into it I realized it had to be IREM.

I thought this was a good matchup because it's so easy to go either way with it. For me, at least.

The only Irem entry I care much for at this point is Ninja Spirit. 

You're a shooter fan, like me. Have you done Mr. Heli yet?

ccovell

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 06:52:48 PM »
Have you done Mr. Heli yet?

No: DO YOU PLAY MR. HELI?             :D :D :D

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 07:25:43 PM »
Since we really aren't talking about the TG-16 here (seriously, IREM was better in arcades), I will go with Naxat Soft.

They gave us Jaki Crush and Twisted Tales Of Spike McFang.

I thought it was established we were just going by releases.  I don't know what the hell Naxat "developed" on their own, I just noted some releases with their name on it.  I assume that was Nat's original intention with the poll since he cited the Crushes in the first post and everyone seems to say these days that Compile developed those.     

If we judge by all these rules then pretty much,and can count titles across all platforms,then I will add these 2 links for your reading pleasure,and to maintain that Irem stays on top.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/irem/irem.htm

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/rtype/rtype.htm

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 08:22:33 PM »
I can often times tell an IREM game right off the bat my first time playing it, even if I ignore the title screen. I remember the first time I played Legend of Hero Tonma, no more than 30 seconds into it I realized it had to be IREM.
Yeah IREM games are extremely identifiable, at least to me as well. Especially their TG16/PCE games! I think it's really the sound quality that does it, but there is a graphic distinction as well.

Mr. Heli rocks!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2007, 08:24:16 PM »
OOOOOOH it's EVEN!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2007, 09:37:34 PM »
Naxat brought alot to the table publishing wise........so

Kitsunexus

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2007, 09:41:22 PM »
IN YOUR FACE, IREM!

runinruder

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 01:45:20 AM »
You're a shooter fan, like me. Have you done Mr. Heli yet?

Not yet.  I still need to play Image Fight, too.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »
This one is indeed a toughy.  My vote's for Naxat, since I've wasted more time playing Alien Crush and Devil's Crush than anything in Irem's library (though Ninja Spirit is close).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles