Author Topic: Third-Party Developer Matchup!!!  (Read 1550 times)

nat

Third-Party Developer Matchup!!!
« on: October 06, 2007, 10:01:56 PM »
Tough call here.

Naxat brought us titles such as Coryoon, Psychosis, the Crush pinball series, W-Ring: The Double Rings, and the elusive Motteke Tamago.

IREM's library boasts such classics as R-Type, Mr. Heli, Ninja Spirit, and the infamous Vigilante.

This is a tough matchup because, in my opinion, both developers were very strong on the platform and each had an almost equal number of great games. In my eye, Naxat games always seemed to have a more "polished" feel to them. Apparently Naxat employed some very talented graphic programmers. On the other hand, IREM games all had subliminally similar qualities to each other, both graphically and musically. For me, there is something almost magical about the feel of an IREM game that just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Despite a virtual KO by Naxat in the technical superiority department, IREM wins the round on playability and fun factor alone. Not to mention there is something peculiarly charming about the light "tinkly" sound that all of IREM's library seems to share. Even Vigilante, despite being not too exciting to look at and overly easy, is still a shitload of fun to play. Don't get me wrong, Naxat titles such as the aforementioned Crush series and Psychosis are some of my favorite Turbo games to pop in on a rainy day. But nothing beats a Sunday afternoon run through Ninja Spirit.

Turbo D

Re: Third-Party Developer Matchup!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 10:07:02 PM »
Man this is a tough one dude  :-k Irem made some of the most bad-ass games, but so did Naxat. I guess I'll have to go with Irem since I play games by them more.

ceti alpha

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 02:11:21 AM »
Yeah, this is a really tough call. I know what you mean Nat about the "warm and fuzzy" feeling you get from IREM games. The light and tinkly sound on IREM games is great.  :) But then you have games like Nexzr and Psychosis. However, I'll have to go with IREM regardless at the moment. It probably just depends on my mood at the time, but Ninja Spirit and R-Type are arcade classics done to almost perfection for the TurboGrafx.  8)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

ccovell

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 04:06:15 AM »
The question is flawed.  IREM is a developer.  Naxat is a publisher.  Naxat published games for several smaller developers like Compile.  IREM also didn't port R-Type, Hudson did.

But as far as better releases go, Naxat had more and better games overall.

ceti alpha

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 05:09:39 AM »
The question is flawed.  IREM is a developer.  Naxat is a publisher.  Naxat published games for several smaller developers like Compile.  IREM also didn't port R-Type, Hudson did.

But as far as better releases go, Naxat had more and better games overall.

Hmmm...OK that is interesting. Well, that changes things a little. I think I'm going to have to say Naxat since I actually haven't voted yet.  :)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:20:25 AM »
I am going to stick with Irem,as far as the company itself goes,if it was not for Irem,Hudson would not have had any R-Type to port to begin with.

You can add that with other nice titles like Ninja Spirit and Vigilante and their other arcade ports.

I liked the stuff Naxat Soft placed on the table for sure,but I know I could never live without the Irem titles. Back in the day thats what compelled me to get a TG16. Those and Bloody Wolf that is.

rolins

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 06:53:53 AM »
I love Irem's Image Fight and Ninja Spirit, but Nexzr is just too good. Naxat Soft for the win.

nat

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 07:38:37 AM »
The question is flawed.  IREM is a developer.  Naxat is a publisher.  Naxat published games for several smaller developers like Compile.

Well excuse me. But come on, you know what I mean.

IREM also didn't port R-Type, Hudson did.

My copy of R-Type Complete CD makes no mention of Hudson anywhere in the game, in the manual, or on the case. "(C) 1991 IREM" is the only mention of a developer you'll find.

ccovell

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »
My copy of R-Type Complete CD makes no mention of Hudson anywhere in the game, in the manual, or on the case. "(C) 1991 IREM" is the only mention of a developer you'll find.

You're switching games mid-way through the discussion, and you know it.

Black Tiger

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 02:10:09 PM »
It looks like R-Type Complete might've been put out by Irem, even though its a rehash of Hudson's port.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 03:04:50 PM »

You're switching games mid-way through the discussion, and you know it.

And you're being excessively anally retentive.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 03:07:23 PM by nat »

nodtveidt

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 03:14:08 PM »
My vote is with IREM.

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 03:20:52 PM »
I was expecting this thread to be more about which company helped the system more but it looks like it's more about our own preference. In terms of which helped sales more and such, I think Irem did since R-Type can be considered as a system seller back then and Ninja Spirit was a really good follow up. In terms of which I prefer, I initially wanted to say Naxat Soft right away, but I'm not so sure and I do agree with Nat a lot about Irem's warm fuzzy feeling.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
Since we really aren't talking about the TG-16 here (seriously, IREM was better in arcades), I will go with Naxat Soft.

They gave us Jaki Crush and Twisted Tales Of Spike McFang.

TR0N

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 03:50:39 PM »
I love Irem's Image Fight and Ninja Spirit, but Nexzr is just too good. Naxat Soft for the win.
Agreed beside naxat soft gave me coryoon and nexzer.

Far as irem go's i just enjoyed them for,R-type,Ninja Spirit and Image Fight 1&2.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 03:52:10 PM by TRON »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec