Author Topic: Ys Book 1 & 2 - GamePro review (and other stuff from old magazines)  (Read 2184 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: Ys Book 1 & 2 - GamePro review
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 12:46:59 PM »
Quote from: rag-time4

Joe, did you notice that the last paragraph of the second review begins by saying that Y's plays like any other RPG

Yeah, both reviews suck.  But at least the EGM one is somewhat entertaining to read.

Black___Tiger, I scoured my old issues of EGM and I could not find an Ys review, nor could I find reviews for anything else in this mag.  Perhaps this issue substituted for a regular issue that year. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:48:50 PM by Joe Redifer »

Black Tiger

Re: Ys Book 1 & 2 - GamePro review (and other stuff from old magazines)
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 12:54:07 PM »
I still have the memory of a standard verticle scored review in EGM, but since it was 20 years ago, I may be wrong.

It may have originated in another Buyer's Guide, since the 1992 issue reprinted the scores vertically as they originally appeared.

While checking google for old EGM scans, I came across this review of Ys I & II on imdb.com.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:57:43 PM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 01:01:36 PM »
Here's the Ninja Spirit review in that same issue:

Up next... maybe the ENTIRE PAGE they dedicated to the TG-16 console itself? 

I think Super Monaco GP on the Genesis was the first game in EGM to ever score a 10.  That game sucked ass!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 01:03:40 PM by Joe Redifer »

nat

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 01:10:32 PM »

While checking google for old EGM scans, I came across this review of Ys I & II on imdb.com.

The best part about that review is that it's four years old, and in those four years, only "1 of 1" people has found it "useful."

OldTurboBastard

Re: Ys Book 1 & 2 - GamePro review
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 02:56:33 PM »
Quote from: rag-time4
Perhaps this issue substituted for a regular issue that year. 

Pretty sure that was the case for this one. Props on posting the reviews for both games. "Sushi-x" - I remember when he showed up - "Who's this f@ckin' guy???".

"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

Keranu

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 03:22:13 PM »

Hahahaha, oh boy!  :mrgreen: At least you didn't post my old GameFAQs reviews I wrote in middle school... those were just embarassing to the max! :D  8)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 04:45:26 PM »
Due to the many, many posts here in this thread demanding to see more, I am forced to oblige!  But since I am going to post 3 whole pages for your viewing pleasure, I am going to post them as clickable links instead of images!  That's right, all you have to do is click on the text that looks a bit different from the rest of the text below and a whole new screen will open with a page from EGM!  This truly is the future... who needs flying cars?  Be careful not to let your browser shrink-to-fit the image or it may be hard to read.

EGM dedicates an ENTIRE PAGE to discuss the TurboGrafx-16 Entertainment Supersystem!!

EGM also did a similar thing for the TurboExpress Portable Supersystem.
(Love how their specs are almost completely different than the TurboGrafx-16 Entertainment Supersystem specs they gave)

EGM spends their own money to dedicate an ENTIRE PAGE to the SuperGrafx-16 Entertainment Supersystem!!!

ceti alpha

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 04:46:26 PM »
I totally remember these reviews.  :lol: I'm almost positive that I bought Ninja Spirit because of that review. However, I wasn't disappointed in the least. It is a sweet game and I would have given it the same scores.

Just amazing though. Thanks for posting those Joe. Memory lane.  :)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Joe Redifer

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
EGM always made sure their information was 100% accurate at all times.

nat

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 05:12:30 PM »
EGM always made sure their information was 100% accurate at all times.

It's funny you mention that.

Look at the "specs" given for the SuperGrafx system. Maximum resolution 160x146? Maximum colors on screen 128? All this after an article touting the SuperGrafx as NEC's next generation console! The specs they list are inferior to the specs they list for the TurboGrafx! I'm in awe that this misinformation actually made it to publication.

Keranu

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
HAHAHAHHAA! Thanks so much for those hilarious scans, Joe! That's just too, too, way too funny!

Quote from: nat
Look at the "specs" given for the SuperGrafx system. Maximum resolution 160x146? Maximum colors on screen 128? All this after an article touting the SuperGrafx as NEC's next generation console! The specs they list are inferior to the specs they list for the TurboGrafx! I'm in awe that this misinformation actually made it to publication.
I know! I was thinking the same thing! They're making the newer system look worse! And like Joe said, it's funny how different the Turbo Express specs are than the TurboGrafx-16 Entertainment Supersystem! I think I can understand EGM fooling someone with the Turbo Express specs, but the Super Grafx spec list was just downright stupid!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ceti alpha

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 06:05:53 PM »
Look at the "specs" given for the SuperGrafx system. Maximum resolution 160x146? Maximum colors on screen 128?

OMG... That is just ridiculous. I guess these magazines thought that they could lie to their readers because they were "too young" to understand.  =; Or it could be just lazy writing. Probably both.  [-X

Joe Redifer

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 06:16:39 PM »
EGM checks and rechecks their facts to make sure their information is 100% correct.  If published specs for a system you own change from one issue to the next, the innards of your machine actually change to reflect what is published in EGM. 

Did anyone notice that the SuperGrafx uses the NES processor?  On the SMS page, they listed it having 256 colors with 52 onscreen at once.  For the GameBoy, the resolution is listed as 320x224.  All pure awesomeness.

OK, now for the numbered reviews of each system... actual ratings!  How do you think the mighty SuperGrafx compared to the wimpy NeoGeo?
Click here to find out!

Quite a large image, so it's just a link.

ceti alpha

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 06:23:46 PM »
EGM checks and rechecks their facts to make sure their information is 100% correct.  If published specs for a system you own change from one issue to the next, the innards of your machine actually change to reflect what is published in EGM.

hahaha!! Joe, I bet you don't even know when your being sarcastic or not anymore.  :lol:

Your use of sarcasm is, as Darth Vader would say, "Most impressive".

I just can't believe that the Supergrafx was able to muster so much out of the NES processor. Simply amazing. That NEC - always pulling rabbits out of their hats. i.e. Johnny Turbo.  :P

ccovell

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 06:38:20 PM »
Ahh, good old EGM.  That buyer's guide was one of their best issues.  Super Famicom Preview, a couple of 10s for Turbo games in one issue...  oh, and massively incorrect tech specs.

But I wouldn't take EGM to task about the CPUs for the TG and NES: they are essentially 6502s.  The TG's has several great instructions added in, and the NES' has a few taken away, but they are very code-compatible with your average 6502 program.