Author Topic: Ys Book 1 & 2 - GamePro review (and other stuff from old magazines)  (Read 2182 times)

Joe Redifer

Scanned from GamePro's December 1990 issue.  Read it.  Just read it.

How much of the game do you think GamePro played in order to write their review?  0%?  Less than 0%?  Or did they just adapt NEC's press kit into a formal review?  I have always hated GamePro since I was older than the 6-10 year-old market it was clearly aimed at.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:05:38 PM by Joe Redifer »

Turbo D

Re: Ys Book 1 & 2 - GamePro review
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 06:37:39 PM »
 :-s omfg, I now hate gamepro  :x  I can't believe that they wrote that shit its all completely wrong.

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 08:19:47 PM »
"360 degree scrolling screens with an overhead perspective make for phenomenal 'you are there' role play action."  :mrgreen:

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this is a review or an advertisement.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 09:04:44 PM »
I like how the femesexual reviewer says that the whole point of the game is exactly the opposite of what it really is. Then it goes on to say how the game "sports standard roleplay interface", just like all that ram-slamming in Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior.

Its also logical to conclude that having two games on the same disc makes the adventuring twice as intense. Like if Sim Earth had included Sim City, then the management simulationing would also have been twice as intense.

And although I liked that the earlier GamePro TG-CD reviews included disc size, this genius actually makes a point of saying that the 500+ megs of size is all "gameplay data" instead of CD audio.

The best part is how at the very end its last two words contradict its very first two words, by making it appear that Ys is pronounced "eez".
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:12:47 PM »
The best part is how at the very end its last two words contradict its very first two words, by making it appear that Ys is pronounced "eez".
Haha, I got a kick out of that too.

When he says there is 20 minutes worth of animtaion sequences, I wonder if that's including the character portraits when speaking during the game? Because without those, I could only see about maybe eight minutes or so.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
Haha, I got a kick out of that too.

When he says there is 20 minutes worth of animation sequences, I wonder if that's including the character portraits when speaking during the game? Because without those, I could only see about maybe eight minutes or so.

Well, technically, the credits is kinda an animation sequence and the "The End" screen animates forever, so really the game has infinity minutes of animation sequences.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 09:50:34 PM »
My favorite part is when it says "you're pretty much a spectator to the onscreen action" in battles since it supports a standard role-play fighting sequences.  Nothing could be further from the truth, and that proves that didn't even turn the game on once.  I wonder if they got any letters about that, or if any TG-CD owners even bothered with GamePro.  Granted, I own the issue and a TurboCD unit, but I got the issue before I got a Turbo CD!

TR0N

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 10:56:28 PM »
Now where's that scan of egm with it's Ys 1&2 review.

I remember when they realy hyped the game and gave it a 10.

Wich urge me more back then to get a,TG16+Turbo CD just to play it  :oops:

Still if i would rate to it myself i don't think i give it that high of a score.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 11:39:49 PM »
My favorite part is when it says "you're pretty much a spectator to the onscreen action" in battles since it supports a standard role-play fighting sequences.  Nothing could be further from the truth, and that proves that didn't even turn the game on once.  I wonder if they got any letters about that, or if any TG-CD owners even bothered with GamePro.  Granted, I own the issue and a TurboCD unit, but I got the issue before I got a Turbo CD!

Same here, I didn't get the Turbo CD until a year or so later.

runinruder

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 01:52:21 AM »
When he says there is 20 minutes worth of animtaion sequences, I wonder if that's including the character portraits when speaking during the game? Because without those, I could only see about maybe eight minutes or so.

The numbers he used (24 minutes of voice, 14 bosses, 150 items, 43 music tracks, 20 minutes of animation) are ALL listed on the back of the box (and were probably mentioned in a press release as well).  Joe's notion of the reviewer playing little or none of the game is probably right on. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 05:40:41 AM »
Now where's that scan of egm with it's Ys 1&2 review.

I remember when they realy hyped the game and gave it a 10.

I remember that too. I think Ninja Spirit was given a 10 in the same issue, and at the time you never saw 10's in EGM. I was stoked!! looking back there was probably some bribery invloved in those reviews....although y's is certainly worthy of a 10

This review is pretty bad with all the flat out incorrect statements..did they even play the game???

"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 06:26:33 AM »
GamePoop demonstrates it's ineptitude once again.

Its also logical to conclude that having two games on the same disc makes the adventuring twice as intense. Like if Sim Earth had included Sim City, then the management simulationing would also have been twice as intense.

I too found this quite amusing.  Since I have Ys Book I and II, Ys III, and Ys IV, does that mean that the adventuring is four or eight times as intense?  Am I supposed to add or multiply?  I'm so confused.  :-k
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 12:03:27 PM »
Here is the EGM review from their 1991 Videogame Buyer's Guide.  I don't think it had an actual regular issue review.

I should post more interesting stuff from this issue.  They even rated the systems OMG!

rag-time4

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 12:21:03 PM »
Here is the EGM review from their 1991 Videogame Buyer's Guide.  I don't think it had an actual regular issue review.

I should post more interesting stuff from this issue.  They even rated the systems OMG!

Joe, did you notice that the last paragraph of the second review begins by saying that Y's plays like any other RPG

Both "reviews" are commercials.

Ah, the blessings of a "free press" ](*,)

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 12:34:29 PM »

I remember Ys I & II having a regular EGM issue review, my memory may be wrong, but I still remember what it looked like. :P