Author Topic: How do you capture video from MAME?  (Read 265 times)

Kitsunexus

How do you capture video from MAME?
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:02:11 AM »
I want to make a quick video of Magical Cat Adventure, but MAME 32's video capture is not working. What program should I use?

Ninja Spirit

Re: How do you capture video from MAME?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 05:34:14 AM »
Normally people use FRAPS. I use ZD Soft Game Recorder.

www.zdsoft.com

FRAPS is the biggest piece of shit ever. The AVI files it puts out eats up your hard drive space in a matter of minutes. And videos come out real choppy. Plus it doesn't support all emulators, only ones in DirectX and OpenGL.

With ZD Game Recorder, you can use it with ALL emulators and you can select which AVI codec you can record videos with, which makes good size AVI files.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:38:36 AM by Ninja Spirit »

rolins

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 06:00:14 AM »
Another vote for ZD Soft Game Recorder. From experience it's a thousand times better than Camtasia and Fraps put together. Used it often to capture footage from emulators like Bluemsx, Unz, M88, Anex86, T98Next, XM7.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:01:21 AM »
Thank you, if this works I will buy it!

EDIT: My computer's too slow to capture, but this is the best program I've tried (and I agree FRAPS is shit).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 07:20:27 AM by Kitsunexus »

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 10:01:28 AM »
Thank you, if this works I will buy it!

EDIT: My computer's too slow to capture, but this is the best program I've tried (and I agree FRAPS is shit).

*coughcheckpmcough*

It may not be that the computer's too slow. This is how I work with it:

First off, set the audio system to "Stereo Mixer", otherwise your videos won't have sound.

There are three choices on the video portion, (full-size, half-size and custom size.)

To get the best recording, put the emulator in windowed mode and shrink it down to its smallest size, and record on full size. If you get headaches from playing emulators on small screen, you can casually make a emulator movie state on full screen, then shrink the window and replay the state and use the recorder.