Author Topic: Favorite HuCard Spine Scheme  (Read 317 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Favorite HuCard Spine Scheme
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:45:21 AM »
Here's my contribution to the pointless polls:  What's your favorite spine label scheme (font, layout, color, etc.) and why?  I'm not a big fan of the old school orange and black labels, but prefer the black bars with colored edges of later releases.  The best ones are purple - a nice calming shade that would make any royal family proud.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

Re: Favorite HuCard Spine Scheme
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:59:56 AM »
I like the original orange/black.

Second to that I like the purple/white scheme of the Super CD titles.

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 10:46:13 AM »
I'd have to say that the purple one on devil's crush is pretty bad-ass  :)

Sparky

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 02:31:24 PM »
Sidearms… nice bright red label and the spine font matches the manual cover, they should have done that more, i think.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:36:08 PM by Sparky »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 02:39:39 PM »
I like the PC Engine ones the best because I can't read them since they are written in moon language.

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 03:50:18 PM »
Gotta go with the classic Orange/Black cuz most of my games were the earlier ones..

I gotta find a new hobby....
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 05:34:50 PM »
Great poll. It's a really hard choice, but I think I prefer the newer ones with the color scheme actually and like Necromancer, I really like the purple tag. They all look pretty nice though.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rag-time4

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 07:25:43 AM »
The best one is the Keith Courage orange and black label.

Keith Courage's label actually has squared corners so it covers the whole spine, wheras all the other labels, including sidearms, have curved corners which leave ugly open spaces.

Keith Courage is the best game so naturally it made sense to give it the best label  :D

vestcoat

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 08:19:39 AM »
I like the later PCE hucards.  People bitch about the lack of a sturdy clip inside the case  but the fact that the PCE hucards actually got CD-style, back inserts rather than just stupid spines is a lot cooler.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 08:36:11 AM »
I like those too, vestcoat.  You just can't beat a full color back insert protected from dust bunnies and grubby fingers by a sheet of plastic.  I'd wouldn't mind getting a few of those suckers to house the few loose HuCards I have floating around, rather than leave them sitting out where any old hobo can grab 'em.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

vestcoat

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 09:43:03 AM »
Yep, I lost at least 3 loose hucards to hobos just this week.

I've been using standard jewel cases to house the turbochips that came without cases.  They work pretty well if you leave the black tray in and break off the CD clips in the center of the tray.  That way the hucard fits without too much moving around.  I noticed that the back panel on turbochip boxes would also work pretty well as a rear insert if you color-copied it and cut off the TurboGrafx bar at the top and the copyright crap on the bottom.  I've been meaning to bring my 92-93 turbochip boxes down to Kinkos and making some inserts.

nat

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »
Yep, I lost at least 3 loose hucards to hobos just this week.

I've been using standard jewel cases to house the turbochips that came without cases.  They work pretty well if you leave the black tray in and break off the CD clips in the center of the tray.  That way the hucard fits without too much moving around.  I noticed that the back panel on turbochip boxes would also work pretty well as a rear insert if you color-copied it and cut off the TurboGrafx bar at the top and the copyright crap on the bottom.  I've been meaning to bring my 92-93 turbochip boxes down to Kinkos and making some inserts.

Funny you mention this, that's exactly what I did with my Bonk 3 HuCard when I first bought it back in '95 from TZD. It's almost like they made them that way on purpose!

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 05:02:53 PM »
Actually I like the solid black backs of TG16 cases :S . It has really nice and smooth plastic.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).