Author Topic: Interest Check- new manufacture DUO replacement AC adapters  (Read 554 times)

omnedon

Interest Check- new manufacture DUO replacement AC adapters
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:15:58 AM »
OSG has an opportunity to have a run of AC adapters made. The number one request we get, that we cannot fill, is for Turbo DUO and PC Engine DUO replacement AC adapters.

I have to make a minimum run of 1000 AC adapters. That quantity I cannot change, and for a business the size of OSG, it's a pretty serious commitment.

What I need to know, is how many people (if any!) would be interested in buying these.

OSG would likely be retailing these at about $19 per AC adapter. Shipping would be an extra $6 anywhere in North America.

I'm considering doing a pre order, if enough interest exists. If I did do that, you would need to put down a refundable $5 deposit on the pre-order of the AC adapter. (it would be refundable if the delivery fell through on our end for any reason). I would be also willing to offer a $5 discount to those who went with the pre-order, so the total for pre-ordered customers would be $20 shipped.

This is NOT a pre-order call. This is OSG sticking it's toe in the water to see if pursuing getting these made is wise, or foolish. Your feedback (pro and con) is appreciated, as opinions both ways will help me decide how to proceed if at all. Why not make it a poll?

Comments welcome!
Contact chop5 for any NEC console services.

nat

Re: Interest Check- new manufacture DUO replacement AC adapters
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 05:20:06 AM »
Great idea, if you ask me. Assuming they are of high build quality.

If so, I would definitely buy one. Maybe two.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 05:55:38 AM »
Not a bad idea, but my original is still working dandy.  If it died, I'd buy one in a heartbeat - or I might just buy one anyway for 'safety'.  Perhaps OSG could forge a deal with TZD to split an order and get Canada and the good ol' US of A to unite in support of turbo goodness.  :)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

vestcoat

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:51:40 AM »
Sweet, I bet this would make my Radioshack replacement obsolete (and therefore a valuable piece of vintage Turbo gear I could resell on ebay!  )
 :wink:

....Yeah, I'd buy one.
It might be worth it to also do an interest check on the AC for the US CD-rom player; those are frigging impossible to find and I heard that the CD attachment even mis-labeled the kind of supply it requires, further confusing the replacement process.

Turbo D

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:24:59 AM »
I think its a good Idea, I'd pick one up for my spare duo. There have been a lot of people coming on here looking for them.

It might be worth it to also do an interest check on the AC for the US CD-rom player; those are frigging impossible to find and I heard that the CD attachment even mis-labeled the kind of supply it requires, further confusing the replacement process.

I would definitely buy one of those!

TR0N

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:46:51 PM »
Not a bad idea if you need a spare i say do it.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 01:16:27 AM »
I would buy at least two.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »
I think it's a great idea! I think you should also consider producing AC adapters for TGCD/PCE CD systems because those seem to be rare.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rag-time4

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 11:56:42 AM »
My vote explained:

Interesting idea. Once you had them available, I'd consider possibly ordering one. ~ Right now, my original official AC adapter is working fine (US Duo). However, if it ever went out, I would like to buy an original/official one, so if yours are identical, I would be interested.

omnedon

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »
No, these would be third party, properly rated with the correct tip.

I'm asking on a lot of forums. It's looking so far like these will continue to be hard to find, unless I get a lot of capital I can use in a speculative fashion that is not needed elsewhere.

Regardless, the feedback is valuable, and valued, those interested, and those not. Thanks!

Arjak

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 07:00:40 AM »
If I get a Duo, I would definitely consider getting a spare from you, as long as they work well.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

omnedon

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 11:59:15 AM »
Thanks everybody for the input. Right now, there just isn't enough interest to justify the expense. I will back burner this for now, but who knows how things will pan out in the future.

Regardless, OSG is committed to classic gaming, and will continue to look for ways to service the needs of all gamers.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 01:09:07 PM »
I would buy this and I don't even HAVE a Duo!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 01:16:16 PM »
The 273-1771 I got from Radio Shack is completely and totally perfect for my Duo R, so I wouldn't be interested.

nat

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Way to necropost!