Author Topic: stupid question about TG 16 CD  (Read 246 times)

MurderDate

stupid question about TG 16 CD
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:18:59 PM »

What's the difference between a  TG16 + CD component vs a Turbo Duo?   Are they about the same?
Would I favor getting one over the other ?

I thought I was going to avoid CD games entirely but I'm hooked ...
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Turbo D

Re: stupid question about TG 16 CD
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »
turbografx + cd is a turbografx with a cd player attached to its ass. Turboduo is both built into one beautiful console. Also, you don't need any system cards to play cd games on the Turboduo since it has the best one built in(well, unless you want to play arcade cd games, haha).

MurderDate

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:37:18 PM »
right, that's what I could gather.  but do the games play the same on both?  obviously the Duo is the cooler machine.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:46:55 PM »
Yes, they play the same and load just as fast/slow.  The graphics are identical in their presentation (re: one doesn't have a better video encoder than the other).  The TurboDuo seems to take up a bit more room because of the video cable which sprouts out of the side of the thing, making it so you can't put it in a tight space.  One nice thing about the TurboGrafx CD is that it has real AV jacks on it.  You don't need a lame proprietary cable.

nat

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 01:36:41 PM »
Aside from the similarities mentioned, one difference is that the laser mechanism in the TG-CD deck is LOUD. The Duo is quiet and purrs like a kitten. The TG-CD isn't Dreamcast loud, but it's up there.

Turbo D

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 01:44:57 PM »
right, that's what I could gather.  but do the games play the same on both?  obviously the Duo is the cooler machine.

Yes, the games play the same on both. I would definitely go with the cooler duo  8) ( plus the tg+cd is gargantous, lol) Another thing to think about is repair, the duo laser is easily replaceable while the tg+cd laser isn't ( it can be done but is  a big hassle) I've had more problems with the tg cd add on than on my duo. Your best bet would be to get a modded Duo-r, the games play the same on one of those too.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 02:24:29 PM »
Don't forget about the sound problem that is common to most US Duos.  CD sound goes away.  Why?  Because it's a Duo.  Also CD-Rs work much better in the Turbo CD than in the Duo, so all of your illegally pirated games will work perfectly!  The Duo uses a pussified laser that doesn't read CD-Rs very well.  The BIGGEST advantage of the Duo is that you don't need the (supposedly) hard-to-find Super System Card.

Turbo D

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 02:36:12 PM »
My US duo runs cd-r burned at 40x and is still using the original laser  8)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 02:38:53 PM »
Your Duo is special.