Author Topic: wii VC control problem  (Read 1466 times)

nat

wii VC control problem
« on: October 18, 2007, 03:55:55 PM »
I've been playing VC games with my Wii remote.

For some reason sometimes the software will treat the remote as if all buttons (including the D-pad) have turbo switches set to maximum. This causes unwanted effects such as in platformers your character "slides" across the screen instead of walk. In shooters, holding down the fire button causes you to fire rapidly rather than build up a charge (such as in R-Type).

I can't seem to figure out why this is happening. There are no settings for this on the Wii side. This behavior seems to start and cease of it's own free will, sometimes even in the middle of a game.

What is going on? Is there some kind of flaw with the emulation?

FWIW, I've noticed this happening most with Genesis VC games.

I have 3 Wii remotes and have tried them all. They all do the same thing, so the problem is not the controller. They all have full batteries.

I only seem to have started noticing this since the latest Wii OS update (released a few days ago). It's possible it was happening before that and I just didn't notice.

Turbo D

Re: wii VC control problem
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »
Looks like that update may have screw attacked the emulation. I was going to suggest batteries until I further read the post.  :-k

nat

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 04:56:31 PM »
Ten bucks at least two more people respond and at least one of them tells me to try new batteries or a different controller.

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »
haha, seriously. I don't want to lose money on that bet  :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 02:36:19 AM »
Try another remote and/or new batteries.  One down and one to go.  :twisted:

Is it pulling this shit with a classic controller or a 'cube controller?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 03:33:29 AM »
Neither. I'm using the regular Wii remotes (tried all 3).

I don't have a Classic controller (and I don't intend to buy one). I suppose I could try one of my GameCube controllers, but since the Wii is wireless and because I'm strapped for space with all my consoles, the Wii is in a spot far away from my couch where a GameCube controller cord isn't long enough to reach. I'd literally have to stand up in the middle of the room to play a game with the GC controller.

guyjin

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 05:38:23 AM »
i would try using the GC controllers and see if the effect persists. (use wired ones if you have 'em, in case the cause is RF interference.)

failing that, try using a different wiimote or change your batteries.  :-"
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

nat

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 06:01:52 AM »

failing that, try using a different wiimote or change your batteries.  :-"

You're treading dangerous water, my friend.

Odonadon

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 07:18:08 AM »
I've been playing VC games with my Wii remote.

For some reason sometimes the software will treat the remote as if all buttons (including the D-pad) have turbo switches set to maximum. This causes unwanted effects such as in platformers your character "slides" across the screen instead of walk. In shooters, holding down the fire button causes you to fire rapidly rather than build up a charge (such as in R-Type).

I can't seem to figure out why this is happening. There are no settings for this on the Wii side. This behavior seems to start and cease of it's own free will, sometimes even in the middle of a game.

What is going on? Is there some kind of flaw with the emulation?

FWIW, I've noticed this happening most with Genesis VC games.

I have 3 Wii remotes and have tried them all. They all do the same thing, so the problem is not the controller. They all have full batteries.

I only seem to have started noticing this since the latest Wii OS update (released a few days ago). It's possible it was happening before that and I just didn't notice.

I ran into a similar problem, then realized it was me hitting the "B" trigger button with my left hand.  I've stopped using the Wiimote altogether now, and instead am using the Classic controller.  Haven't seen it happen to any other buttons though, that's kinda weird.  Sounds like a Nintendo support question.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:10:55 AM »
If you are serious about VC, just spend the extra cash and get the classic controller since it will control everything VC offers now, and in the future.  the only thing I don't like about it is the height of the analog stick buttons but meh.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

TR0N

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 03:48:37 PM »
If you are serious about VC, just spend the extra cash and get the classic controller since it will control everything VC offers now, and in the future.  the only thing I don't like about it is the height of the analog stick buttons but meh.

Agreed or get the joystick by hori.

Heck i tried useing the wii remote for vc titles and it didn't feel right.

I ended up,going back to my gc wavebird and i had easier time afther that.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

nat

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »

I buckled and bought one an hour or two ago. I'll get back to everyone on whether or not I have the same problems.

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 05:08:46 PM »

I buckled and bought one an hour or two ago. I'll get back to everyone on whether or not I have the same problems.
That would be funny if it ends up working because Nintendo forces people to buy all of their products.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 08:23:13 PM »

That would be funny if it ends up working because Nintendo forces people to buy all of their products.

Well then I am going to assume you are laughing right now, because the classic controller does work perfectly. I played three hours of VC games yesterday and another three hours today and none of that funky shit.

Although, I think it is extremely f*cked up that the Wii-mote has these issues with VC games. I'm wondering if this was deliberate on Nintendo's part. I actually like playing VC games with the Wii-mote because it's shape and layout is ever so slightly reminiscent of the classic NES controller. But the problems I was having... that just doesn't fly with me.

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 09:05:51 PM »
HAHAHAHA!  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).