Author Topic: Did anyone else have Widget Workshop back then?  (Read 722 times)

Michael Helgeson

Re: Did anyone else have Widget Workshop back then?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 06:58:02 PM »
Hmmm.... it's from Maxis, eh?  That's usually a good sign.

If you are Michael Helgeson, do not click this link, click this one.

Mwuhahaha!  Games are more fun when you buy them.  Somehow the code is 23% less awesome every time it gets copied.  :roll:

Actually to me I have very little fun owning stacks of cd-rs,even for pc games. Id rather have real copies,and esp when it comes to pc games ,because I usually like the packages. Part of the experience is actually owning it,going around game shops or arcade vendors,hitting ebay,not just downloading it and burning it off. The art work on the label,in the booklets,box ect is stuff I like also. I also would much rather dedicate my shelf space to real carts,game boards,cds,ect...not a bunch of copied stuff nabbed off the net.

I tell you what though,since you feel that way,any of you taking up for Kits justifying all his download garbage ,why don't you trade Kits your real copies of stuff for his roms and cd-rs? From your point of view it doesn't sound like you need the stuff either. You would be just fine with a collection of dvd-rs of roms and isos too I am guessing?

Yea,I didn't think so.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »
Too bad Kitsunexus doesn't live in Seattle. I'd take him down to Pink Godzilla with me, buy him a CoreGrafx (or even a SuperGrafx if they had one in stock) and force him to buy a few of the "essentials."

I honestly think that would solve alot of his problems. He would have more experiences to talk about then just what he has downloaded as of late or his latest Wal-Mart run. He seriously needs to get into collecting the real stuff.
If he is really dead set about just covering what he can nab off the net,roms,ect,then he should jump into the emu forums instead. The majority of people here own and play real hardware and games across the board,Sega,Nec,SNK,Nintendo,ect... You def learn to appreciate it all more too,and its a better experience as a whole.

Its alot more fun playing the stuff on real hardware on your tv then on your computer on a monitor with a USB pad.

nat

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 07:34:12 PM »
Hmmm.... it's from Maxis, eh?  That's usually a good sign.

If you are Michael Helgeson, do not click this link, click this one.

Mwuhahaha!  Games are more fun when you buy them.  Somehow the code is 23% less awesome every time it gets copied.  :roll:

Actually to me I have very little fun owning stacks of cd-rs,even for pc games. Id rather have real copies,and esp when it comes to pc games ,because I usually like the packages. Part of the experience is actually owning it,going around game shops or arcade vendors,hitting ebay,not just downloading it and burning it off. The art work on the label,in the booklets,box ect is stuff I like also. I also would much rather dedicate my shelf space to real carts,game boards,cds,ect...not a bunch of copied stuff nabbed off the net.

I agree 100%... Having the package to hold, and the artwork to look at is a huge part of what makes gaming so fun. Whether you're talking dreadful US TG-16 artwork or killer anime Japanese artwork, it's all part of the experience. I only have about three burned games, and they are all Turbo games, and it's only because my friend gave them to me a while back. Actually, four, since I burned a copy of the translated version of Ys IV. But I own the [real] Japanese version already and keep the CD-R in it's case.  :dance:

I appreciate emulation in a try-before-you-buy type aspect, but I could never use it as my only means of gaming.

Even with the Nintendo VC, which I am learning to like (especially for some of those Neo Geo games I could never afford to own), you lose a bit of the unique experience of playing games on their native consoles, in their true form.

Turbo D

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2007, 09:09:52 PM »
I like emulation for the try before you buy aspect that Nat mentioned. Also to play hombrew roms. Its also handy to play while you are on a trip or at work, haha. But for home I love having the real thing. Holding it in your hand, admiring the artwork. Nothing can beat the real thing. To me, emulation is like jacking of and having real consoles and games is like sex.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »

Good for you.  I don't particularly enjoy shopping, so that part of the 'experience' counts for very little in my book.  Simply owning a pile of original games doesn't really turn my crank either, but I have loads of fun playing them.  It may sound strange to you, but for me the most important part of gaming, is playing games.  You obviously have great pride in your game collection and have boasted of your collecting prowess before (which I don't have a problem with, considering this is a gaming forum), but I'm not impressed.  If the case, manual, box, and disc/cartridge are of paramount importance, then you are less of a 'gamer' and more of a 'collector'.

I tell you what though,since you feel that way,any of you taking up for Kits justifying all his download garbage ,why don't you trade Kits your real copies of stuff for his roms and cd-rs? From your point of view it doesn't sound like you need the stuff either. You would be just fine with a collection of dvd-rs of roms and isos too I am guessing?

Yea,I didn't think so.

Way to read extra meaning into my post, chief.  I just found it funny that Kitsune posted two links.  One for people interested in test driving the game, and one for you (and anyone else that can only enjoy the real deal).

So sorry, but I'm not interested in bashing others simply because they download a game or use an emulator.  If you (and others) find all of Kitsune's threads to be such a waste of time, then why in the hell do you read them?  The lure of making a few negative posts and personal attacks must be too great to resist.

U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 09:11:56 AM »
Just to clarify: I don't find Kitsunexus's threads annoying. I was just commenting on my agreement with Michael as far as game collecting goes. I personally don't hold emulation in high regard, but that's another story. I definitely don't think less of someone if they like to emulate, but I do strongly suggest they get a real console and a real copy of a game to fully enjoy the "experience" of gaming.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 12:07:27 PM »

Good for you.  I don't particularly enjoy shopping, so that part of the 'experience' counts for very little in my book.  Simply owning a pile of original games doesn't really turn my crank either, but I have loads of fun playing them.  It may sound strange to you, but for me the most important part of gaming, is playing games.  You obviously have great pride in your game collection and have boasted of your collecting prowess before (which I don't have a problem with, considering this is a gaming forum), but I'm not impressed.  If the case, manual, box, and disc/cartridge are of paramount importance, then you are less of a 'gamer' and more of a 'collector'.

Way to read extra meaning into my post, chief.  I just found it funny that Kitsune posted two links.  One for people interested in test driving the game, and one for you (and anyone else that can only enjoy the real deal).

So sorry, but I'm not interested in bashing others simply because they download a game or use an emulator.  If you (and others) find all of Kitsune's threads to be such a waste of time, then why in the hell do you read them?  The lure of making a few negative posts and personal attacks must be too great to resist.

I actually spend more time playing games,but I typically hit local shops once a week if possible,and constantly hit ebay. Every now and then I will do the long distance trips to other shops farther away that I like visiting as I know they tend to carry good stuff.

I tend to spend about 3 hours a week on shopping for stuff. Actual play time I usually get in about 8-12 hours a week if I'm not busy with other things. You have to keep in mind,I am a single parent,and am taking care of 2 kids,so sometimes I don't get free time for a few days if they have alot of home work. I enjoy the total aspect,not just the collecting,or just the gaming. I also am not so sure of my boasting,I don't usually post detailed list of my collection here...... I have not posted  a complete collection list here in full details in a very very long time,nor boasted of any such list for all our systems here...... If it is of something neat then yea I will post pics,who doesn't like pics of games,esp arcade hardware????

How I ended up on this thread was actually because I was informed by others that he decided to mention me. I was un-aware of the details or this thread until I signed onto yahoo messenger yesterday evening,but as I can see,its pretty blatant it was a snide remark directed towards me,with or without links. This is why others felt the need to inform me in the first place. The only amazing thing was that he managed to not use profanity this time around.

And I am truly sorry you thought this,but I gathered no extra meaning from your post. I simply issued you a challenge. Since you clearly stated with smart ass sarcasm that
Mwuhahaha!  Games are more fun when you buy them.  Somehow the code is 23% less awesome every time it gets copied.   :roll:
it was pretty obvious as to what you meant. I just don't think you expected a retort like mine about giving your real stuff away to Kits then is all.

It read clear as day that you felt it was perfectly fine to just own the roms,why bother with real hard copies of the stuff then. So I mean,if your going to say that,then why not trade whatever legitimate copies you have of stuff to Kits for his cd-rs? Back up your words and all??? Unless of coarse you were simply lying in a manner of speaking,and just trying to help defend Kits,which is understandable.

If all you care about is playing the games then this should be a perfectly fine deal to you then. This is based on the assumption you have  a collection to part with to Kits for his cd-rs. For all I know your in the same boat as he,with everything either iso images,rips,and roms.

And as I said before,there is no way playing the stuff on emus competes with owning real hardware and real copies and playing then on a nice tv with a good audio system.  That is the best way to go if you want the full experience. There is no arguing about that.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 12:09:52 PM by Michael Helgeson »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 06:32:00 AM »
I actually spend more time playing games,but I typically hit local shops once a week if possible,and constantly hit ebay. Every now and then I will do the long distance trips to other shops farther away that I like visiting as I know they tend to carry good stuff.

I tend to spend about 3 hours a week on shopping for stuff. Actual play time I usually get in about 8-12 hours a week if I'm not busy with other things. You have to keep in mind,I am a single parent,and am taking care of 2 kids,so sometimes I don't get free time for a few days if they have alot of home work. I enjoy the total aspect,not just the collecting,or just the gaming. I also am not so sure of my boasting,I don't usually post detailed list of my collection here...... I have not posted  a complete collection list here in full details in a very very long time,nor boasted of any such list for all our systems here...... If it is of something neat then yea I will post pics,who doesn't like pics of games,esp arcade hardware????

Try reading my post again.  The time spent on shopping for games vs. that spent playing games is not important.  I'll say it again - I value actually playing games far more than simply owning games.  For me, the gaming experience is 90% playing games and only 10% collecting.

How I ended up on this thread was actually because I was informed by others that he decided to mention me. I was un-aware of the details or this thread until I signed onto yahoo messenger yesterday evening,but as I can see,its pretty blatant it was a snide remark directed towards me,with or without links. This is why others felt the need to inform me in the first place. The only amazing thing was that he managed to not use profanity this time around.

Wow, you're sensitive!  The mere mention of your name is not an insult, nor is a sentence that instructs you not to click on a game download link (which you've expressed your disdain for multiple times) and instead directs you to a reputable reseller.  As far as profanity goes... well, you know what they say about those in glass houses.

And I am truly sorry you thought this,but I gathered no extra meaning from your post. I simply issued you a challenge. Since you clearly stated with smart ass sarcasm that
Mwuhahaha!  Games are more fun when you buy them.  Somehow the code is 23% less awesome every time it gets copied.   :roll:
it was pretty obvious as to what you meant. I just don't think you expected a retort like mine about giving your real stuff away to Kits then is all.

It read clear as day that you felt it was perfectly fine to just own the roms, why bother with real hard copies of the stuff then. So I mean,if your going to say that,then why not trade whatever legitimate copies you have of stuff to Kits for his cd-rs? Back up your words and all??? Unless of coarse you were simply lying in a manner of speaking,and just trying to help defend Kits,which is understandable.

If all you care about is playing the games then this should be a perfectly fine deal to you then. This is based on the assumption you have  a collection to part with to Kits for his cd-rs. For all I know your in the same boat as he,with everything either iso images,rips,and roms.

It's clear as day that your reading comprehension skills are lacking.  That sarcastic comment was only meant to show that games are equally enjoyable in any form, whether it is an original cartridge/disc or a rom/iso.  No part of that post can be interpreted to mean that 'real games are ghey and romz/isoz are awesome'.  My subsequent post made it abundantly clear that I enjoy playing games far more than I do collecting them.  Your reasoning that I should give away my games is illogical and a bit foolish; if I didn't value my meager game collection, then I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

And as I said before,there is no way playing the stuff on emus competes with owning real hardware and real copies and playing then on a nice tv with a good audio system.  That is the best way to go if you want the full experience. There is no arguing about that.

This is your opinion.  When I play on an emulator, I'm using the exact same television and stereo that my Duo is hooked to, and if I thought that the Duo controllers were the penultimate examples of controller perfection, then I would buy one of those USB converted Duo controllers.  Considering the accuracy of the emulators out there, I seriously doubt that many people could guess whether they were playing off of my computer or off of my Duo.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 08:39:36 AM »
Wow, you're sensitive!  The mere mention of your name is not an insult, nor is a sentence that instructs you not to click on a game download link (which you've expressed your disdain for multiple times) and instead directs you to a reputable reseller.  As far as profanity goes... well, you know what they say about those in glass houses.

Well if thats how you feel then you def wont mind if I say this:
ADULTS AND NEOGEO FANS ONLY PLEASE ! (not that we even have any under 18 members here anyway...)

If you are as awesome as Necromancer, do not click this link or click this link, but if you are then click this NGF link,or click this gay ass one instead.

After all,you know what they say about those in glass houses......Yea,right then....
In other words I would never want my name involved in any link promoting Widget Workshop,real copy or even pirated,either way it doesn't matter,same as you would not want your name associated with some of the above links I'm sure.

It's clear as day that your reading comprehension skills are lacking.  That sarcastic comment was only meant to show that games are equally enjoyable in any form, whether it is an original cartridge/disc or a rom/iso.  No part of that post can be interpreted to mean that 'real games are ghey and romz/isoz are awesome'.  My subsequent post made it abundantly clear that I enjoy playing games far more than I do collecting them.  Your reasoning that I should give away my games is illogical and a bit foolish; if I didn't value my meager game collection, then I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

My answer to all that is partly your own words.
The time spent on shopping for games vs. that spent playing games is not important.  I'll say it again - I value actually playing games far more than simply owning games.  For me, the gaming experience is 90% playing games and only 10% collecting.

Good for you.  I don't particularly enjoy shopping, so that part of the 'experience' counts for very little in my book.  Simply owning a pile of original games doesn't really turn my crank either
If the case, manual, box, and disc/cartridge are of paramount importance, then you are less of a 'gamer' and more of a 'collector'.

If this is the case then you shouldn't even really value your meager collection. Collecting the roms and isos should more then make up the 10 percent you spoke of. So again,why not offer up your meager collection to Kits. Which is it,seriously,because each of your answers contradict themselves,and your also starting to sound like a broken record that some how manages to play 2 different tracks over and over again.
Track 1. I value my meager collection and would never part with it.
Track 2. I see no point in collecting,it doesn't turn my crank,I'm a awesome gamer just because I can play roms,thats all that matters.

You cant even make up your mind on which one you are it sounds like.

Seriously,if your going to stick to the Track 2 attitude,then as I said,trade Kits your real stuff for his roms and ISO collections. In other words,practice what you preach.

This is your opinion.  When I play on an emulator, I'm using the exact same television and stereo that my Duo is hooked to, and if I thought that the Duo controllers were the penultimate examples of controller perfection, then I would buy one of those USB converted Duo controllers.  Considering the accuracy of the emulators out there, I seriously doubt that many people could guess whether they were playing off of my computer or off of my Duo.

Thats weird you say that. Even my 9 year old daughter can tell the difference when my bedrooms tv computer is connected to my tv via s-video using a Radeon 9600 on ANY emulator..... Most people I know infact can,picture and sound wise.

No matter how many times you contradict yourself,or try to change your own view around to win the debate,you can't. I don't care which way you spin it,your still pretty much wrong and full of bullshit.
Any more replies from me to your nonsense is  a waste of my time,and keeps getting this useless thread bumped,so I am moving on. Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 08:44:51 AM by Michael Helgeson »

Kitsunexus

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 12:03:34 PM »
Hey hey hey, now, I don't burn CDs. Like I said, I don't have any roms for ANY MODERN system , basically I only have up to Sega CD, I don't even have CD-I or 3DO ISOs. My Sega CD games reside on my HD, if they have to be loaded, they are mounted as a virtual drive.

I didn't even burn a CD for Daggerfall, it's also a virtual mount.

Basically, I stopped burning CDs when MP3 players came with hard drives.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 05:52:01 PM »
Well if thats how you feel then you def wont mind if I say this:
ADULTS AND NEOGEO FANS ONLY PLEASE ! (not that we even have any under 18 members here anyway...)

If you are as awesome as Necromancer, do not click this link or click this link, but if you are then click this NGF link,or click this gay ass one instead.

After all,you know what they say about those in glass houses......Yea,right then....
In other words I would never want my name involved in any link promoting Widget Workshop,real copy or even pirated,either way it doesn't matter,same as you would not want your name associated with some of the above links I'm sure.

You got me.  Having your name appear in a sentence along with links to a game you don't like is extremely insulting and analogous to being linked to gay porn.  :roll:

My answer to all that is partly your own words.
The time spent on shopping for games vs. that spent playing games is not important.  I'll say it again - I value actually playing games far more than simply owning games.  For me, the gaming experience is 90% playing games and only 10% collecting.

Good for you.  I don't particularly enjoy shopping, so that part of the 'experience' counts for very little in my book.  Simply owning a pile of original games doesn't really turn my crank either
If the case, manual, box, and disc/cartridge are of paramount importance, then you are less of a 'gamer' and more of a 'collector'.

If this is the case then you shouldn't even really value your meager collection. Collecting the roms and isos should more then make up the 10 percent you spoke of. So again,why not offer up your meager collection to Kits. Which is it,seriously,because each of your answers contradict themselves,and your also starting to sound like a broken record that some how manages to play 2 different tracks over and over again.
Track 1. I value my meager collection and would never part with it.
Track 2. I see no point in collecting,it doesn't turn my crank,I'm a awesome gamer just because I can play roms,thats all that matters.

You cant even make up your mind on which one you are it sounds like.

Seriously,if your going to stick to the Track 2 attitude,then as I said,trade Kits your real stuff for his roms and ISO collections. In other words,practice what you preach.

Try reading those quotes again.  Every single one of them states that I believe that the most important part (not the only part) of gaming is actually playing games.  Please point out where I implied that "I see no point in collecting".  I just don't see why it is so hard for you to understand that I enjoy playing a downloaded game just as much as I enjoy playing an original.

Thats weird you say that. Even my 9 year old daughter can tell the difference when my bedrooms tv computer is connected to my tv via s-video using a Radeon 9600 on ANY emulator..... Most people I know infact can,picture and sound wise.

Fair enough.  Perhaps I'm just lucky with my particular video card and television combo, or maybe my eyes aren't critical enough.  Either way, I wouldn't let slightly incorrect coloring get in the way of enjoying a game.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 07:34:41 PM »
You know what's hilarious?

Read the post Necromancer wrote, that Michael responded to.

He was agreeing with your philosophy, Michael. At least that's the way I took it, I took it as he was saying 'copying is not as good as the originals".

No need to fight him, man.  He's on your team.  :wink: