Author Topic: My stance on emulation - Please read before judging!  (Read 887 times)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Re: My stance on emulation - Please read before judging!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 02:13:59 PM »
lots of great points in this thread =)

I'm all for the 'renting' service that ROMS bring to the table, its nice to try that rare game out first for free before you throw a ton of money at it on the auction sites... (Wish I had discovered emulation before I slapped $45 on Batman for the PCE...YUCK)...lol

I can totally relate to where your at in life kid (lol I can call you kid kit as I'm about 10 years older than you =) ), --> working on getting your education/work career settled and transportation issues resolved is obviously the most important thing as of right now.  If your downloading/trying out ROMS of classics, and enjoying them- then its most likely when your rolling in the greenbacks in the future that you will be picking up all the games that you enjoyed the most. 

I say that you should do whatever the heck you want and don't worry about what people on this forum think.  At least you're actually playing these old games and enjoying them, as opposed to the clowns that pick up a classic, play it for five minutes, and declare "This stinks, Halo rulez!". 
That pretty much sums it up. 

One of my favorite things about emulation is getting to actually enjoy some of those long lost classics that never came out in the states.  Something like Terranigma is a prime example, I remember hearing about its amazing grafx and gameplay--->  Then I found out that someone actually translated it to complete english.  Such an amazing experience!!  And if it ever gets a release on Nintendo DS or on the Wii VC, you know I'll be the first in line!!

Just a word of advise, sometime us PC EngineFX'ers get a little cranky =)  If someone disagrees with you or throws a jab at ya, step away from your keyboard and take a deep breath - take a break - and then later respond.... I know its helped me on ' teh boardz'.

Peace

Tatsujin

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »
(Wish I had discovered emulation before I slapped $45 on Batman for the PCE...YUCK)...lol

but that isn't really the fault of the game itself (also it isn't such a bad game anyway), since it shouldn't go for more than $15 nowadays :)
or when did you bought that one?
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

termis

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 02:59:57 PM »
I simply don't use much emulators just because "it doesn't feel the same" as playing on the real thing. To each his own though -- I'd guess most people agree with that statement.

As far as pirating goes, I will burn a game here and there, but then again, I own more classic games than anyone else I personally know (I'd say about 150+ games for various systems).  I have a feeling a lot of us probably like that here.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 03:57:17 PM »
I like using emulators for screenshots mostly.  Love that shit.  I also use it for "try before you buy" type of stuff or when I'm just generally curious about a game I've never tried or even heard of.  I don't rely on emulators for accurate sound.  I play many arcade games via MAME since playing them at an arcade is, well, impossible.  Unfortunately the ANALog controls on games like Thunderblade and Super Hang-On etc don't work well with my Xbox360 pad.  I collect games for my real systems.  I'm not too fond of CD-Rs though I have used them out of curiosity and the such.  I've also used CD-Rs to play Japanese Mega CD games on my US Sega CD since I don't have a region-swap cart for it.

nat

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »
Joe brought up another big point about emulation I forgot to mention-- the sound issue. Music isn't emulated correctly by most popular emulators and the difference, at least to me, is significant.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 04:46:24 PM »
I consider the following emulators to have accurate if not perfect sound:

ZSNES - SNES
Kega Fusion - Sega Genesis
FCEUDX - NES

Except for FCEUDX, I've done A/B comparisons with them, and they are just like the original systems. (In fact, Sega Genesis Collection on PSP uses Steve Snake's core for the YM2612 because it's so accurate!)

Also I like the fact that you can mute channels and isolate the drums for remixes and stuff. You can't do that on actual hardware, unless you soldered a mixer in there or something.

Also, on the save state issue, they MADE a save state for the SNES hardware! I forgot exactly what it's called, but it was released in America, and it was at the pawn shop! It's huge, and it only has one state, but it's awesome!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 04:50:40 PM »
Kega Fusion is close, but not perfect.  You can run it through an EQ filter to get it close enough to where it would be near impossible to hear a difference, though.  I will agree that it has the best Genesis sound emulation.  However I hear that its PSGs aren't perfect though I've never really used that emulator very much.

Also I like the fact that you can mute channels and isolate the drums for remixes and stuff.
Wha?  Do your own mixes, don't steal music from another source.  Don't be a Vanilla Ice.  Use your own damn instruments.  I don't care for "remixes" which contain part or parts of the original sound anyway.

nat

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 04:52:04 PM »
I haven't heard a single Turbo emulator that has accurate sound emulation. Ever. They should get that Steve Trousersnake guy on it, stat.

I haven't used ZSNES since the 90's, and I've never touched the other two so I can't comment on how accurate they might be nowadays.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 04:57:14 PM »
Also I like the fact that you can mute channels and isolate the drums for remixes and stuff.
Wha?  Do your own mixes, don't steal music from another source.  Don't be a Vanilla Ice.  Use your own damn instruments.  I don't care for "remixes" which contain part or parts of the original sound anyway.
[/quote]

Joe, fire up some games like Jurassic Park or Doom Troopers, or Rise Of The Robots or just grab the SPCs.

Forget the melody, I never use that. But the games have awesome jungle loops in the background, stuff like the Amen and the Funky Drummer and even the Levee break! It's freaking awesome when it comes out of the SNES, because it gets all lo-fi and reverbed, so I only use the drum loops. I never use them to make remixes of the game either, and I never pass the beats off as I my own. I ain't no Timbaland.  :P

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 05:04:09 PM »
I don't know what a Timberland is.  Maybe you mean Justin Timberlake?  That must be it.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 05:05:24 PM »
I don't know what a Timberland is.  Maybe you mean Justin Timberlake?  That must be it.

Hell no fool! I mean the dude who ripped off that demoscene dude and Chrono Trigger!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Timbaland_plagiarism_controversy

Joe Redifer

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 05:08:33 PM »
He calls himself "Timbaland"?  TIMBALAND????  Dear god.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 08:53:39 PM »
Ya know, it's one thing to sample stuff & play around with it, when you're underground, but, when you're a money hungry platimun bastard such as Timbaland, play Square their damn money for what you ripped off......not to mention all the little guys he ripped off as well!  I play around & mix stuff up, even though I'll probably never release an album of my own, just don't have the time anymore, especially with doing original stuff for Frozen Utopia.  I love remixing stuff, finding some new way to play out a song, & add lyrics to it.  I grew up with that, but it also helped me to progress to originality.

As for emulation, it's a nice quick & dirty way to play my games, don't have to bust my consoles, I can use save states if I really get pissed, etc.  But, it's not the same as owning the real thing.  It's oh so nice to own it all, of which I own alot of.  But, my collecting days are pretty much over now.  I have to stop, aside from getting any new games occasionally, like Mindrec's stuff, & the very occasional PS2, PS3, PSP, or DS game, which, even then will be when they're at Greatest Hits prices.

Black Tiger

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2007, 12:42:12 AM »
Kega Fusion is close, but not perfect.  You can run it through an EQ filter to get it close enough to where it would be near impossible to hear a difference, though.  I will agree that it has the best Genesis sound emulation.  However I hear that its PSGs aren't perfect though I've never really used that emulator very much.

There won't be a Genesis emulator with perfect sound emulation until one comes with an option to switch to one of the dozens(?) of revisions/model numbers that all seem to sound a little different.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

guyjin

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 05:07:57 AM »
There won't be a Genesis emulator with perfect sound emulation until one comes with an option to switch to one of the dozens(?) of revisions/model numbers that all seem to sound a little different.

I keep meaning to hook up my genesis 3 and compare it to my model 1 with the stereo plugged in.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin