Author Topic: There is no reason to buy a PS3.  (Read 1405 times)

termis

Re: There is no reason to buy a PS3.
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 12:23:48 PM »
XBox 360 is starting to look better and better... Hmmmmm...

Gran Tursimo series was a lot of fun. It struck a good balance of making it a (pseudo) simulation without making it so damn difficult so that an average Joe can't enjoy it.  I do agree that there's some truth to it being a "shopping simulator" though.  On the other extreme, I recall F355 - holy shit, that game is hard, but it's a solid, solid "sim".  I couldn't get in to it as easily as GT because of the difficulty curve (and no way you can do good times on the shitty standard analog pad).

I can't say much about Forza (or any post Dreamcast sims...), but it does look friggin great.

All that said, I can't imagine that real track driving is ANYTHING like video game driving.  It sure ain't for motorbikes -- that's why I never even bother playing bike sims, I know it'll be nowhere _near_ the real thing. 

I'll play a good ol' game of excitebike, though!  :D

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 01:44:06 PM »
XBox 360 is starting to look better and better... Hmmmmm...

Gran Tursimo series was a lot of fun. It struck a good balance of making it a (pseudo) simulation without making it so damn difficult so that an average Joe can't enjoy it.  I do agree that there's some truth to it being a "shopping simulator" though.  On the other extreme, I recall F355 - holy shit, that game is hard, but it's a solid, solid "sim".  I couldn't get in to it as easily as GT because of the difficulty curve (and no way you can do good times on the shitty standard analog pad).

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of F355, but a wheel is required. Not just for good times, but just to stay on the track. Daytona is even harder to play on a standard pad, but thats due totally to bad programming. The DC's biggest flaw, IMO, is that you need to use some other controller for virtually everything other than RPGs and sports games do to the stock one being so super shitty.

All that said, I can't imagine that real track driving is ANYTHING like video game driving.  It sure ain't for motorbikes -- that's why I never even bother playing bike sims, I know it'll be nowhere _near_ the real thing. 

I'll play a good ol' game of excitebike, though!  :D

Riding a bike is harder to adapt to a game because you ride a bike with your whole body. A car is controlled by just siting there and...well, using buttons and wheels, pretty much like a game.

I played a game for the original XBox, I think it was called Moto GP (not the Namco one on PS2), that did an OK job at being a bike sim. Riding a bike is pretty f*cking complex though, and I've never driven one at the limit, so I'm not qualified to comment.

MotoRoaderMike

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »
The PS3 sucks anyway! There's one that me and my brother share, and I like haven't bought ANY games for it. All the exclusives look bad, and plus all the games on it that aren't exclusives look better on other systems.  :mrgreen:

Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

TR0N

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 07:43:44 PM »
The PS3 sucks anyway! There's one that me and my brother share, and I like haven't bought ANY games for it. All the exclusives look bad, and plus all the games on it that aren't exclusives look better on other systems.  :mrgreen:
LOL the,only thing i see it good for at this point is to watch bluray disc.

Other..then that sony will be playing catch up during this generation.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

guyjin

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 07:46:43 PM »
Bluray is a dead format. It has lost the format war; Sony just hasn't realized this yet.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:48:38 PM by guyjin »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Turbo D

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 08:03:29 PM »
It will not be a dead format. It might lose the battle for the popular movie format, but it will be around for data on the pc. Well, until someone comes out with something better  :lol:

nodtveidt

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 06:27:17 AM »
Do you have to be a martial artist to make a fighting game?
It helps. A lot.

GUTS

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 05:17:11 PM »
How is Blu Ray dead?  I thought the movies were outselling HD DVD by like 4 to 1 or something.  I hope it doesn't die, Netflix has a ton of blu ray movies and I like them a lot better than regular DVDs.  I don't know why anyone buys movies anyway, what a huge waste of money, renting is a billion times better unless you have kids or something who watch movies 1000 times.

Turbo D

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 05:36:07 PM »
seriously! If you rent regular dvds, you can easily copy them. If you have a good printer you can stomp a label on your copies and send them back while keeping the original for yourself  :mrgreen:

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 06:01:25 PM »
Obviously you guys are huge film buffs...

guyjin

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 08:13:29 PM by guyjin »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Turbo D

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 07:30:03 PM »
I wouldn't buy an hd-dvd player. Its the beta of the present generation, lol.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 07:31:42 PM »
Am I the only one who:

A. Is happy with normal DVDs

and

B. thinks DVDs should AT LEAST have as long of a lifespan as VHS did?

Turbo D

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 07:33:33 PM »
I'm happy with normal dvds; they're the only ones I can pirate right now  :wink: I just happened to score a blu-ray player in that ps3 someone gave me for my b-day.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2007, 08:25:38 PM »
I don't pirate movies, I buy them. Mainly because sci-fi blockbusters, action movies, and crime flicks (pretty much the only genres I watch) are cheap at TA, and there's nothing better then coming home with a 44oz Dr. Pepper, a BIG cookie, and Escape From New York.