Author Topic: The share your game room thread!  (Read 399 times)

Golgo13

The share your game room thread!
« on: November 10, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »
I thought maybe it would be interesting to see the different gaming environments people have on this board.  It may be cool to get some new ideas from you guys on how your game rooms are set up, even if its not so spectacular.  To start it off, I thought I would share my Current gaming setup:

I just recently moved, and plan to move again soon because this new apartment sucks, but for now I had to come up with a quick solution for my gaming needs, one that involves a lack of furniture, so currently I have these elements to my setup.

A Samsung 26 inch LCD HDTV
A Japanese Turbo Duo with Avenue 6 pad
A Toshiba P15-S479 Laptop withe media center edition windows XP
USB adaptors for original controllers:
- Super Smart Joy SNES to USB
- Retrozone Genesis to USB adaptor
- Retrozone NES to USB adaptor
- Playstation to USB adaptor with Neo Geo Stick 2

Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse for bluetooth.

With this setup I basically can use the internet, play games, and watch DVDs while laying around in bed, also as you can see in the picture above, I keep a PC Engine GT laying around with a few old EGM magazines too.

Across from the bed is what you see above, I normally do not keep everything out at once, but for the photo I just thought I would showcase it.  I have the Laptop hooked up underneath the Duo to the PC port on the back of the Samsung, so I run the emulators through the TV with the corresponding controllers for each, NES, Genesis, SNES, Neo Geo games all running through this one laptop. 

I do own the actual consoles with the exception of Neo Geo, but since the other stuff is in boxes and I dont feel like taking it out and having to switch back and forth between the systems, running these games through the emulators on the HDTV looks better than running the consoles directly on the TV I realize, these old systems just don't look to great on a new TV like this.  Anyway once I move and get into a better apartment, im going to get an old CRT with S-video and run the games through that to get them even more close to the originals.  When that happens I will be sure and post it here.

feel free to post comments but please for the love of god dont flame me about the evils of emulation, and please feel free to post some pics of your game rooms, no matter how they look im curious.

Turbo D

Re: The share your game room thread!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 07:36:24 PM »
I'd show my room, but..er... its really messy. I can't even see the carpet anymore  :oops:

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 07:50:29 PM »
Don't we have one of these threads somewhere?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 08:28:06 PM »
I'd show you my room, but this picture is just as effective:

Yeah, it gets expensive but it beats having to clean it myself!  :dance:

WoodyXP

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 11:13:32 PM »

Here's what I have going tonight:

On the Rack:  Neo-Geo, DUO-RX, "Frankenstein" Skeleton Saturn, Dreamcast

On the floor:  Megadrive 2 w/ CD, Arcade Stick

Under the TV:  Panasonic Q

On the table:  Laptop, MSX2, Famicom w/ Disk, DUO-tap, Fighting Stick-PC, XE-1pro stick and HORI Famicom stick.

Audio/Video:  46' Hitachi Plasma/Sony Dreamtheater 5.1

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 11:17:05 PM by WoodyXP »

nat

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 06:18:46 AM »
From left, to right, starting at the bottom:

[ul][li]TurboDuo, bottom left[/li][li]SuperGrafx one level up, connected to a CD-ROM^2 drive above it[/li][li]Nintendo Wii, top center[/li][li]SEGA Dreamcast to the right of the TV[/li][li]Right middle features a GameCube, and NES (NEX to be exact)[/li][li]Next level down you'll find a PC-FX and Nintendo 64[/li][/ul]
On top of the JVC flatscreen you'll find a switcher that makes having all 8 system hooked up simultaneously possible.

On top of the left speaker you'll notice the receiver for the SuperGrafx's wireless controllers.

Top center of the whole setup is my beefy Kenwood receiver/amplifier for the ultimate thumping stereo-gaming experience!

I also have a SNES, another (toaster-style) NES, and another TurboGrafx hooked up in a different room since I couldn't possibly hook up any more systems out here. Also, my awesomely massive game collection wasn't feeling photogenic today and requested I not take any pictures this morning.

Golgo13

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 07:48:54 AM »
You rule Nat, you got one hell of a turbo collection there, I hope one day when I acquire more money and power, I too can get a supergrafx.

rolins

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 08:40:54 AM »
Excuse the pictures, my digital camera was acting funny lately which why it's purplish around the borders. This my current setup, its going to change in a couple weeks though when I move out this apartment.

These are the 2 monitors I pickup for free back in september. The one the left is hookup to my laptop for emulation. Currently I'm running Double Dragon Extreme on this. Beat'em up fans must play this, it's awesome! The monitor on the right is setup primarily for playing vertical shmups on my PS2, Saturn, and my laptop via Mame. Right now, I have my Saturn playing Batsugun on this monitor. The 2 spindles of CD/DVDs are my collection of Saturn & PS2 backups. I got no original games anymore, I've sold them all.

EDIT: the RGB monitors are NEC Multisync 4PG.

Here's a shot of my laptop connected to my monitor. The two joysticks: XE-1PRO and XE-1ST2 are my primary sticks, they're connected by usb adaptors provided by Retrousb. I also use saturn, genesis, and nes gamepads on my laptop via Retrousb adaptors. Soon, I'll be getting a HRAP2 joystick and seimitsu parts in the mail, I can't wait to get my grubby hands on that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:48:29 AM by rolins »

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 03:19:20 PM »
Haha, I love this part of nat's set up:

"SuperGrafx one level up, connected to a CD-ROM^2 drive above it"

That hunk of video game equipment requires TWO shelves!  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

bust3dstr8

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 05:09:19 PM »
We play cash games once a week or a poker tournament now and then,
and sometimes a little bit of spades and whist
The last tourney was a Omaha 8 hi/low..... #-o that was one big crap shoot.
Most of the time it's me and Trocki continuing our blood feud at Neo Turf Masters.

Clowns Suck

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 05:14:44 PM »
Awesome!  I don't care much for the cabinet on the right (seems foreign, and I do not approve of foreigners or anything different from my own preconceived ideals), but at least it is running Neo Turf Masters.  The cabinet on the left is the REAL HOT DOG, not a weenie.

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 05:30:38 PM »
I think the real hot dog is on that couch

I've played those wood paneled Neo cabinets before, they are a real pain in the ass with the monitor getting all up in your face like that

Turbo D

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 06:36:53 PM »
I like that cab; its an official neogeo gold cab!

D-Lite

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 06:32:50 AM »
Ah, nice cabs.  You'd think for such a Neo freak I'd have a cab.  But that's why we do the supergun thingy... :-({|=
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

guyjin

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 09:16:08 AM »
Have you trained the dog to play Neo Geo yet?  :)
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin