Author Topic: Gremlins 2:The New Batch  (Read 382 times)

MotoRoaderMike

Gremlins 2:The New Batch
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:15:41 AM »

Still continuing my Sunsoft kick. One Sunsoft game I've been playing the shit out of lately is "Gremlins 2:The New Batch", and it even made me wanna buy the game, and also a DVD copy of the movie. Cute lil' Gizmo must escape from the building and stop the Gremlin menace! The game is very fun, but at the same time hard. I still haven't gotten past the second level yet. Featuring music by the great Naoki Kodaka, who also did music for other Sunsoft classics like Freedom Force, Metafight, Journey To Silius, and Batman:Return of The Joker.

Oh yeah, and the cutscenes in this game are simply amazing! They must've been done by the same guy at Sunsoft who did the intro to Freedom Force!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:28:52 AM by MotoRoaderMike »

Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

runinruder

Re: Gremlins 2:The New Batch
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:47:06 AM »
Speaking of good music and cutscenes, you should play PCE Batman while you're on your Sunsoft kick. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

nat

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 09:10:14 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

Also the Famicom version of SEGA's Fantasy Zone (reprogrammed for the Famicom by Sunsoft) is pretty good too. Very colorful, and very large sprites for the Famicom/NES. And believe it or not, but I almost prefer Sunsoft's renditions of the classic FZ tunes in this port over those on the Turbo port. The different "instruments" seem more pronounced and more interesting in Sunsoft's version.

The difficulty also seems to have been ramped up on the Sunsoft FZ so an auto-fire pad is a must. I can play all the way through the Turbo port but I haven't yet been able to beat this one.

BTW, this is not to be confused with a Famicom/NES port of Fantasy Zone by a different publisher which I have never played, but looks substantially crappier and less colorful.

My local game shop has a couple copies of the Famicom Fantasy Zone 2 complete in box, also ported by Sunsoft for like $15. After owning and playing into this one a bit, I am definitely picking one up next time I'm down there. The screenshots on the back of the box made it look even better than the SMS version, but we'll see.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 10:43:59 AM »
I like the Atari 500 version of Gremlins more, and the NES Batman's music more.

MotoRoaderMike

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:51:49 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

Also the Famicom version of SEGA's Fantasy Zone (reprogrammed for the Famicom by Sunsoft) is pretty good too.

It's the same thing as the domestic NES version by Tengen, only any mention of Sunsoft was removed in Tengen's version.

Turbo D

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:54:09 AM »
I like the Atari 500 version of Gremlins more, and the NES Batman's music more.

Nes Batman was pretty cool  :)

nat

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 02:00:49 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

Also the Famicom version of SEGA's Fantasy Zone (reprogrammed for the Famicom by Sunsoft) is pretty good too.

It's the same thing as the domestic NES version by Tengen, only any mention of Sunsoft was removed in Tengen's version.

No, it isn't. You are wrong. The Tengen version is the "other crappy port" I was referring to in my message. The Sunsoft version blows it away.

Witness:

NES "crappy" Tengen version -

Famicom "totally tubular" Sunsoft version -

Check out how much more colorful the Sunsoft version is. Also witness the larger sprites. Just look at Stumpy at the end of stage 1. In Tengen version he isn't even the right color! In the Sunsoft version he is much larger, correctly colored, and his projectiles are even animated!

Check out the differences on stage 2. They don't even look like the same game! Tengen has to change the pallete of the status box at the bottom every level. The Sunsoft version looks almost as good as the SMS version.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:08:57 PM by nat »

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 03:38:55 PM »
Yeah that Gremlins 2 game for NES was rad. There was this other creepy Gremlins game I used to play on a Tandy 1000, but don't remember much about it.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

guyjin

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 04:11:53 PM »
god damn sunsoft rocks.  :clap:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

MotoRoaderMike

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 06:52:38 PM »
Yes! Sunsoft is awesome! I must get "Super Spy Hunter" next!

Kitsunexus

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 07:02:52 PM »
Yes! Sunsoft is awesome! I must get "Super Spy Hunter" next!

Super Spy Hunter has a KICKASS soundtrack.

Funny story, I used to call Sunsoft crap because all I knew was that shit Speedy Gonzalez game for SNES. I even though Sunsoft was some backwater US company!  :lol:

Thankfully I eventually learned the truth.

grahf

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 10:03:53 PM »
I had and beat this game when I was young.. maybe 12. It was hard, but I just got on a roll and passes the last few levels without dying. Great game.