Author Topic: Has Apple Lost Its Way?  (Read 1709 times)

nat

Re: Has Apple Lost Its Way?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 05:12:53 PM »
OS X is based on an architecture developed in 1969; unix  :)

Yes and no.

It is developed from a modern version of a UNIX derivative. But nice try.

The only major Windows app I wish were on the Mac is Nero. 

Agreed-- that's the only Windows app I really use, and only to burn ISO/CUE sets. But since I took the time to install XP, I also installed copies of those kick-ass offline PCE catalogs. Someday someone will write an OS X app that can burn ISO/CUE sets and I can delete XP.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:16:21 PM by nat »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 05:23:46 PM »
OS X is based on an architecture developed in 1969; unix

Too bad it's not severely obsolete on many levels.

Turbo D

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »
Its a good thing that it isn't !

guyjin

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 05:32:43 PM »
OS X is based on an architecture developed in 1969; unix  :)

As everyone who uses this board should know, old is often better than new.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Turbo D

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
I like that most OSs' are 2-D  :) Damn you beryl for trying to ruin this for me  :x

Joe Redifer

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 05:51:30 PM »
One person on the Mac Forums suggested that the next Mac OS should be 3D.  He also made suggestions like "I want to talk to my Mac, I want to tell it to turn on, and then it would get to the 3D desktop and it would ask me what I wanted to do, and I'd tell it to launch a web browser and go to the Apple home page.  It'd be like having a real conversation with my computer!".  Gawd.  If it ever came to that, I'd give up computers and go back outside again.

Turbo D

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »
microsoft has beat your friend to the punch their with their new "sync" that they're installing in cars. Its some OS that you can talk to and make your bitch.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 06:39:02 PM »
microsoft has beat your friend to the punch their with their new "sync" that they're installing in cars. Its some OS that you can talk to and make your bitch.

A Microsoft OS in cars puts a new meaning to "crash"...

Turbo D

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »
lol

Kitsunexus

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 07:26:23 PM »
Yeah, in the future Microsoft is going to put that Sync crap in EVERYTHING, until the only thing they haven't put it in is the kitchen, because they don't want food on the hardware.

They use this to their advantage though, as their new marketing campaign will be "Everything but the kitchen Sync".

Joe Redifer

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 10:34:49 PM »
OK you were stretching with that one.   :P

FM-77

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 10:46:02 PM »
I used to use Mac OS, but switched to Windows when OS X came out.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
To some extent I think things have gotten a bit shoddier, but thats true of electronics in general. Electronics companies like Apple are not building virtually everything in China from day one, and the labor costs in these situations are basically zero. It costs about a penny to pay some poor woman to put together an iPod, but it costs several dollars just to advertise it. Since the customer will just run out and buy a new model when their stuff brakes,  Apple doesn't see it worth the financial investment to up the sub-slave wages they pay their workers, and we know their moral fiber isn't going to compel them.

This has also happened to Nintendo. Their handhelds are just not as reliable as they used to me. The DS Lite for example, as wonderful as it is, is also the most poorly built product Nintendo has ever made. It used to be that initial runs of Nintendo stuff was always built in Japan until they had the process perfected, then they'd move production overseas. The Wii was built %100 in China from day one.

Sony stuff seems to have actually gotten shittier, if that was at all possible.

As for Leopard costing too much...I don't know what that's about. Isn't it $129? The same price as 10.4, 10.3, 10.2, etc, and isn't that still far cheaper than Windows? Maybe I'm missing something. Until I get a 1TB drive I don't see the point in Leopard since Time Machine is the coolest feature, and that eats more HD space than Final Cut Pro, so I'm holding off.

Another thing about these anecdotal Apple complaints you have to consider is Apple has a lot of new customers, and I think a lot of them are just retarded noobs who don't know WTF they are doing complaining about shit that might not even be broken, they just don't know what's going on. Basically, Windows users. So now Apple has some Windows users using OSX, they are going to have Windows users complaints too.

All I can say is that I use OSX exclusively at home, and I love it. Nero would be nice, but since its only needed for pirating PCE games, I can't really count that as a strike against the machine/OS.

My only problems with Apple are the same they have been for ages; 1) they make software that obsolesces their hardware too often, 2) they remove features then make a big deal when they bring them back as if they were new or something (see iMovie).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 04:11:58 AM »
There's a reason there are 1.6 billion viruses out there that affect XP machines and 5 that affect OS X. Sure, the whole "less of a target" thing plays a role, but the simple fact is that it's just sooooo f*cking easy to program malware for an OS that basically has rape-you-in-the-ass capabilities built right in.

I won't claim that XP or Vista are secure, but they aren't nearly as far behind OS X as you think.

Total security advisories issued (from Secunia):
OS X - 108
XP - 194
Vista - 15

Take these with a grain of salt, as they sometimes will group related vulnerabilities into one advisory.  Head here for an interesting read on vulnerabilities found during the first six months after an OS release.

As for Leopard costing too much...I don't know what that's about. Isn't it $129? The same price as 10.4, 10.3, 10.2, etc, and isn't that still far cheaper than Windows?

Some peeps are bitching that they have to pay full price to upgrade a computer purchased as recently as  September 30th (more recent buyers get it for only $10), but they get no sympathy from me.  If they wanted Leopard for free, then they should have waited for its release.

Another thing about these anecdotal Apple complaints you have to consider is Apple has a lot of new customers, and I think a lot of them are just retarded noobs who don't know WTF they are doing complaining about shit that might not even be broken, they just don't know what's going on. Basically, Windows users. So now Apple has some Windows users using OSX, they are going to have Windows users complaints too.

Yeah, right.  Data loss and critical hardware errors are features, not faults.  Stupid noobs.  :roll:

I will agree that nobody should complain about the crappy displays.  It's a fact that TN panels are incapable of reproducing 24 bit color, and it's not uncommon for them to have uneven coloring.  If people have a problem with this, then they should buy a Mac mini (or Mac Pro) and higher quality display (Mac or otherwise).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 04:32:24 AM »
I've got a 2GHz Core^2 Duo mini with a nice ViewSonic flatpanel LCD. It's a dream.

I'm going to wait a while on Leopard unless someone gets it for me for Christmas or something. I'm usually an OS revision behind, at least. I just upgraded to 10.4 from 10.2.8 early this year.