Author Topic: Beyond Shadowgate - Worth my time?  (Read 1334 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Beyond Shadowgate - Worth my time?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »
I HIGHLY doubt that it is better than Slam City starring Scotty Pippen.

Nor can it touch Marky Mark: Make My Video.  Pure sex, that.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 05:00:54 PM »
or "white men can't jump" with included team tap. Do the Math!!!  8)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »
Don't shift consoles on me like that.  It makes my brain hurt (f*ck Tom and Jerry).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 12:33:48 PM »
Well I scored Beyond Shadowgate for $7.  I don't have it yet.  Might be a couple of weeks.  I also scored Lords of the Rising Sun, Cosmic Fantasy II and Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes from the same guy (in addition to Shining Force CD and the highly sought after Eternal Champions CD).  He raised the price for Cosmic Fantasy 2, but that's it.

Turbo D

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 12:49:22 PM »
thats great dude. I wish I knew people like that.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 01:15:52 AM »
Nice scores Joe.  If you have the manual for Beyond Shadowgate and want to make back some of that seven dollars, let me know.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 05:41:33 AM »
Maybe I will scan it for you.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 05:57:12 AM »
That would be much appreciated.

nat

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 05:59:42 AM »
I'd gladly accept  scan should a link for one happen to show up.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 10:26:16 AM »
Remind me in a few weeks.

geepee16

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 01:59:03 PM »
oh, this is definitely a rarity and a goody.  one of my all-time favorite Duo games.  i tihnk only 1,500 copies were run-off though i have heard 2,000 also.  if you want to know more, i wrote a feature on this for hudson a little over a year ago which you can find here:

http://hudsonent.com/feature.php?f=TOP_TURBO_GAMES__Beyond_Shadowgate&feature_id=%9E%A7%A2%A7%9D

nat

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 02:14:07 PM »
Only 1,500-2,000? Wow, that's a pretty slim run. I'd be interested to know what quantities were produced for any given Turbo game. I don't suppose numbers like that exist anymore...

Great feature, BTW.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 01:55:52 AM »
Nice article, geepee16.  Do you have any idea if any other titles had even lower print runs?

geepee16

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 04:37:05 AM »
thanks.  beyond shadowgate was low but it wasn't the lowest.  other low print runs for the turbo that i know of were (and you may not believe this):

Bonk III
Dungeon Explorer II
Might & Magic III
and Dynastic Hero - which is perhaps the rarest US release for the console after Bonk III.  It's a little confusing but here is what I remember:

DEII was something like 2,000 copies but Hudson Japan allowed TZD 500 more copies sometime in 93-94.  I believe it had to do with Hudson getting itself absolved of any TTI obligations (companies are required by law to provide service even to a discontinued product for a certain amount of time [seven years, i think]).  How NEC and Hudson divied up their post TTI responsibilities I can't exactly recall but NEC (also not wanting to have its hands tied with warranty service and parts) had an agreement with the TZD guys (it was more than a video game store then with lots more staff) too.  I think the extra 500 copies of DExII were for services to be rendered by TZD/NEC for Hudson who basically just wanted out.  The benefit being that TZD would easily be able to sell off and profit from such a high-demand game. I'll have to check this with Steve and the few others who are still around.  I believe Bonk III was not only a US exclusive but a TZD exclusive- again, likely in exchange for giving Hudson an easy out.

Might & Magic III and Dynastic Hero weren't so lucky and, from what I remember, only got 1,500 copies each.  It's kind of shocking about M&M III because it has lingered unbought for a long time. Dynastic Hero (try buying this one today) is particularly hard to come by because it sold out ages ago- years before the other SCDs.

In any case, I believe Terraforming and Godzilla also went under the 3,000 mark.  If anyone finds out before I get to post, please let me know and\or post it here.  For those of you not sure what these numbers really mean, let me give you three points of reference:

Ikaruga for the Dreamcast had 100,000 copies run
Radiant Silvergun for the Saturn had 5,000
Panzer Dragoon Saga (NA vers.) had 10,000 (and a second run of 4,000)

nat

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 05:50:18 AM »
When you speak of Bonk III, you are talking about the CD, correct? If so, yeah, that was a US/TZD exclusive. Do you know if the US HuCard run was also limited to smaller numbers? How about Magical Chase? Also, what was a typical run for some of the common games like, say, Bonk's Adventure?

An interesting fact about the TZD second run of DE II in 1994 was that they came with a black and white "copy" of the original manual.

The service contract between TTi/TZD and NEC was an odd arrangement but it worked out well for us... Until 2001. IIRC they supplied parts and whatnot while TZD performed the hardware repairs up until the contract expired. This was really a pretty sweet deal considering the system itself became obsolete in '94 or '95. I remember around that time there was a guy/group of people that called themselves "Retrogames" that did some refurbishments for Turbo hardware. Send in your old system plus a nominal fee, and they'd send you a refurbed deck. At some point they all but disappeared from the face of the planet even though their website remained up for some time.

I've mentioned this before, but TZD itself was a weird beast. Those who are new to the scene only know TZD as a werehouse that sells old Turbo stuff. TZD is actually the remnants of TTi. TTi was formed by a group of people from Hudson and a group of suits from NEC as the American arm of the company to handle domestic distribution of the console and games. When the console lost out to the Genesis and SNES in 94/95, and Hudson wanted out, they negotiated that contract with NEC that George mentioned. With the Hudson people out, what remained of TTi became TZD. As also mentioned, they were a "real" company in those early days with a full staff and lots going on. When the NEC contract was up they downsized again. As of today, Steve is the only remaining member of TTi handling TZD. That's a brief history as I remember it, anyway.