Author Topic: Time Gal - See the game  (Read 872 times)

MissaFX

Re: Time Gal - See the game
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 06:39:03 AM »
How about the fact that the video lags when you move the scrubber...which even I thought was something that faster CPUs would fix. 7 years later, same situation. Cue half way through the movie and you'll have sound only for several seconds before the video catches up. The proprietary player is a slow-ass piece of shit, and when the really crafty codecs/features are used the stuff won't play in VLC.

DRM is a negative, as you said, since DRM is inherently stupid. And it being made by MS, also a good enough reason.

Oh, and it crashes.

Huh??? 

I have a lot of experience with encoding using wmv for 1 reason: it encodes black and very dark scenes better than any other codec I have found.  WMV encodes dark footage as easly as most codecs encode light scenes.  Most of what I encode is dark video game footage.  The other advantage to WMP is that every PC in the world running windows and most MACs for the last few years can play the file without having to fuss with manual codec installs (unless the file has a large bitrate, like over 4000). 

Also, there should be 0 lag when you skip around in my wmv files.  The files with lag are encoded to save space in every place possible (within the limitations of the codec).  If you are using VLC you will get some lag, but that is VLC's fault, not the file's.  WMV also can handle 60 FPS.  Many codecs cannot. 

Most WMV files have no DRM, and the ones with DRM I can assure you, you can live without.  I would never put it in a file I made, so that's not a concern here either.

I hate to defend a MS product in any way, but there are plenty of worse codecs out there.

Quote from: guyjin
her 'coolest' death is the one where she shoots her own ancestor, and disintegrates.

I am soooo used to having to explain to people what happens then.  I'm glad someone else gets it.

My favorite deaths are in the Airplane level.  When I was first playing the game and noticed she would call out practically every family member on that level it was kinda funny.  I also love the "pray to god" time stop option which results in the angel death.  The airplanes chewing into her bum also always makes me laugh.

My next favorite death would be the Jaws one.  The shark is as big as a bus!

Quote from: Kitsunexus
Thanks for the MP4 version Missa, I am running Windows but I HATE WMV. I'll toss in my 2 cents when it's done downloading.

I hoped it would be a platformless enough format to make everyone else happy who didn't want to play a wmv file, while still having enough quality at a low bitrate.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:41:26 AM by Missa »
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 07:57:46 AM »
I cannot make QT files as I refuse to install QT.

Word.  QuickTime = junk.

My favorite death is when she gets squashed by the giant sea turtle, though the ass biting plane is easily the funniest one.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

spenoza

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 08:57:23 AM »
The problem with WMV is that, in addition to not being as good at compressing data while maintaining quality as many other mainstream codecs, it is less compatible than the competition as well.

And RealMedia's not so bad if all you've got's a 56k modem pipe, but beyond that, well, it sucks.

h.264 is best for quality, with the various DIVX-style codecs a close 2nd.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

nodtveidt

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 02:40:34 PM »
I don't think I've ever noticed any lag while seeking in a WMV file...at least not in a well-built one. And crashing? Not here. WMP is a pretty bad MMP though; playlists are rather unintuitive and the whole thing consumes more CPU time than is necessary.

Anyways, this is kind of neat. If I knew the game at all, I'd use this to do a DS port of the game, as I just created a new video format for the console. :D

Kitsunexus

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 07:27:47 PM »
This video was awesome and the game looks great, but it does bring up a glaring issue: It seems that Japanese girls do not comprehend the words SHUT or THE or f*ck or even UP.  Does EVERY action have to have 400 gibberish syllables trailing behind it? Even if I spoke Japanese that would be f*cking annoying. I swear to Goldfish that duct-tape needs to be the new Japanese schoolgirl fashion accessory, it would definitely go over well too considering how whacked out that country is.

Also the time stop music sounds like the beginning of the Valve logo theme from Half-Life:

http://gh.ffshrine.org/song/459/10
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 07:34:17 PM by Kitsunexus »

guyjin

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 07:52:09 PM »
the most post-happy person on the board is telling japanese girls to shut up... the irony.  :-#
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Kitsunexus

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 07:55:38 PM »
the most post-happy person on the board is telling japanese girls to shut up... the irony.  :-#

At only 8.492 posts a day, I wouldn't consider myself post happy. Also, you can understand me.

MissaFX

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 08:46:55 PM »
Since Time Gal doesn't have background music, I think they have her talking nearly any second there isn't a sound effect playing to keep the sound from sounding too hollow.  Plus, back in the 80's it was a lot cooler to have a video game saying more than a few words.  So I could see the programmers and animators wanting to take every advantage of the LD format (except using a 2nd side to make longer LD games :x).
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

Kitsunexus

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 08:52:13 PM »
Plus, back in the 80's it was a lot cooler to have a video game saying more than a few words.

The only talking 80's games I have ever really appreciated would be Sinistar (arcade) and Impossible Mission (C64).

MissaFX

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 10:58:03 PM »
The only talking 80's games I have ever really appreciated would be Sinistar (arcade) and Impossible Mission (C64).

What about the vector Star Wars and the vector Star Trek games?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 06:54:24 AM »

What about the vector Star Wars and the vector Star Trek games?

I'm not a Star Wars or Star Trek fan. The only vector games I like are Asteroids, Tempest and Battlezone.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 07:52:04 PM »

nat

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 03:03:45 PM »
 :clap:

Pcenginefx

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 05:17:12 AM »
Thank you Missa for the post!  It has been ages since I played Time Gal and would love to see all of the animation again...will d/l tonight.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com