Author Topic: So like, I dunno how many people here are into payphones and phreaking, etc...  (Read 481 times)

Kitsunexus

...but this is big news regardless. THEY ARE REMOVING PAY PHONES. FOR GOOD.

Read AT&T's statement here.

While I understand the business logic behind the idea, the practical logic just doesn't add up. Yes, I have a cellphone (prepaid) but what if I were in an emergency and had either

1. No signal?

2. No units?

3. No battery power?

Plus, I mean, damn. These things are a cultural icon! EVERYBODY knows what a payphone is! Even though they totally annihilated redboxing like two years ago and removed the anonymity way before that, they are still a big part of phone freak culture as well.   

If you are going to miss payphones as well, check this out. I get lucky since it ships from Texas.  :dance:

Joe Redifer

I'm not in to payphones.  I'm in to videogames instead.  I am also not into "phreaking".  Is that some weird new dipshit thing the kids these days do for fun?  What is "redboxing"?

Still, it'd be awesome to have one of those payphones.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TR0N

Sucks to be me then since i don't have a cell phone.

Then again i thought AT&T was doing that all ready by,phaseing out payphones.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Kitsunexus

I'm not in to payphones.  I'm in to videogames instead.  I am also not into "phreaking".  Is that some weird new dipshit thing the kids these days do for fun?  What is "redboxing"?

www.phonelosers.org

Then again i thought AT&T was doing that all ready by,phaseing out payphones.

That's what this is about.

Keranu

That does suck :( . I absolutely love the look of payphones, especially the sleek black (sometimes grey, which is even cooler!) plastic and the awesome steel cord.

I too don't have a cellular telephone and I actually had to use a payphone a couple months ago!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Kitsunexus

www.phonelosers.org

Sorry, I'm not in to the whole "prank calls" thing.  Counting the dingleberries stuck in my asshairs is more entertaining... and funnier!

ceti alpha

Counting the dingleberries stuck in my asshairs is more entertaining... and funnier!

...so much for my midmorning snack.  :-&

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

MissaFX

I hate cell phones!  I wish we had pay phones here that took cards like in Japan. 
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
While I understand the business logic behind the idea, the practical logic just doesn't add up.

Since AT&T is a for profit business, there practical logic is the same as there business logic.  They don't give a tin shit if you are inconvenienced once every blue moon.

Anyways, I don't have a cellphone, yet I haven't used a pay phone in years and don't care a bit that they're going the way of the dodo bird.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

I have a cell phone and it bugs the crap out of me. All it does is give my friends the opportunity to bug me any time they want to. They also get mad when I miss their calls. They leave me voice mails like; David, why don't you pick up the phooooone. Damn you technology  :x

ceti alpha

I have a cell phone and it bugs the crap out of me. All it does is give my friends the opportunity to bug me any time they want to. They also get mad when I miss their calls. They leave me voice mails like; David, why don't you pick up the phooooone. Damn you technology  Mad

I agree. They are a pain in the ass in that way. Even worse is work is able to get a hold of you whenever they want.  [-(

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Hobo Xiphas

Screw you AT&T.

I don't have a cell phone and I have no intention of getting one either.

nat

I am also not into "phreaking".  Is that some weird new dipshit thing the kids these days do for fun? 

Hahaha, phone phreaking is so f*cking oldschool. I first learned of it in the late '80s when I called a lot of BBSes. It might be even older than that, though. I haven't heard that term in like 15 years.

Joe Redifer

I have a cell phone, but people know to only call me when they have something substantial to say.