Author Topic: eBay scam. Sale hijacked.  (Read 487 times)

ceti alpha

eBay scam. Sale hijacked.
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:08:50 AM »
This story came out yesterday, but I thought I'd share it with you guys/girls since we're forced, as Turbo/PCE fans, to deal with eBay. The "Local Girls of Hawaii" also reminded me.  :P

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/12/03/ebay-hijack.html

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: eBay scam. Sale hijacked.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:09:43 AM »
Some questions:

Doesn't ebay's vehicle protection thingy cover this guy, or is it not available in Canada?
To whom and where did this dude wire his money?
Why didn't this clown have the vehicle inspected?

It seems that some people actually want to lose their cash.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 03:35:05 AM »
Doesn't ebay's vehicle protection thingy cover this guy, or is it not available in Canada?
To whom and where did this dude wire his money?

It seems that some people actually want to lose their cash.

I'll ask my brother about eBay's vehicle protection thing. He bought a '69 Ford Maverick from Santa Monica. He had it shipped to Boston and drove down with a friend to pick it up. No problems. My brother got the car inspected as well I think.

I feel bad for the guy, but it just seems that he didn't do enough checking before wiring the money.

As for eBay, they are not handling this situation very well at all. Not saying a word about it to the press just makes things worse. That one article alone wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement for eBay and there will sure to be more.

Sinistron

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 04:51:05 AM »

Clown is perhaps my favorite word.  I LOVE calling others clowns.  Thought it was just a Queens thing.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

ceti alpha

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 06:30:52 AM »
Clown is perhaps my favorite word.  I LOVE calling others clowns.  Thought it was just a Queens thing.

haha. Yah. It's pretty popular up here too. I'm also a fan of "dink" and "knob".  :)

Turbo D

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 08:26:05 AM »
that sux for that kosovo bastard, haha.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 07:08:31 PM »
BREAKING NEWS: Terrorists hijack 2 eBay auctions and crash them into a JPG of the World Trade Center, over 4000 pixels dead. More at 11:00.

rag-time4

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 08:59:01 AM »
My thoughts on this are that ebay should be treated as any other marketplace, even though ebay does make a lot of money for hosting the marketplace.

People should be responsible for the transactions that they make.

I myself have thought (dreamed) of buying my dream car on ebay, but I wouldn't complete the sale unless I could actually see the car in person.

A 10 dollar video game I can afford to be more trusting. A $10,000+ automobile I'm gonna want to be as safe and secure in the transaction as I could possibly be.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 09:01:39 AM »
My thoughts on this are that ebay should be treated as any other marketplace, even though ebay does make a lot of money for hosting the marketplace.

People should be responsible for the transactions that they make.

I myself have thought (dreamed) of buying my dream car on ebay, but I wouldn't complete the sale unless I could actually see the car in person.

A 10 dollar video game I can afford to be more trusting. A $10,000+ automobile I'm gonna want to be as safe and secure in the transaction as I could possibly be.

That reminds me, how do they get the car down to you? Do they actually DRIVE IT? Who wants it after all thsoe extra miles were put on it? What if they had an accident? Would you get your money back?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 09:33:19 AM »

Agreed.  If I absolutely couldn't see the car in person (and it was rare enough), then I'd hire a reputable company to do it for me.  If I'm not mistaken, ebay's vehicle purchase protection thing doesn't cover anything that would have been discovered in a routine inspection, even if it isn't in the auction description, so only a fool would buy a car sight unseen.

That reminds me, how do they get the car down to you? Do they actually DRIVE IT? Who wants it after all thsoe extra miles were put on it? What if they had an accident? Would you get your money back?

Generally speaking, you either go and get it yourself and drive/trailer it home, or you pay a fully bonded and insured transport service.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 09:58:44 AM »
There is a service for a couple hundred that delivers the car. I've thought of buying a car on ebay, but the prices are pretty high.

ceti alpha

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:29:28 AM »
That reminds me, how do they get the car down to you? Do they actually DRIVE IT?

My brother bought a '69 Maverick on eBay from Santa Monica, CA. The seller had it inspected after the sale. The company that was shipping it to Boston wouldn't load it until something was fixed with the transmission or something. I forget exactly what it was. Anyway, my brother lucked into a good deal. He had just totaled his other Maverick that he had just put almost 10 000 into.  #-o An 18 wheeler ran him off the road and the driver didn't even know. He just kept on driving (or he saw what happened and just kept driving.). The mechanic who saw the car said to my brother, "This is a dead man's car". Anyway, for a couple hundred or whatever it was, the car was shipped to Boston.

rag-time4

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 11:06:11 AM »

ceti alpha

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 01:54:48 PM »
Damn! Haha, yeah that's awesome. There's one here in Halifax you can see driving around during the summer months. Pretty sweet. But the plutonium would be hard to come by...that assuming you can construct a flux capacitor.  8)

guyjin

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 05:22:36 PM »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin