Author Topic: Anybody here love Wes Anderson movies?  (Read 483 times)

kid_rondeau

Anybody here love Wes Anderson movies?
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:49:07 PM »
Wes Anderson is easily my favorite director...I just saw "The Darjeeling Limited" about a month ago, and it was the best new film I've seen in over a year. But I love all of his films...Bottle Rocket, Rushmore (probably my favorite of all time), The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and of course, Darjeeling.

In an era where it seems like 95% of new movies are completely stupid, it's nice that I've found a director who really speaks to me.

If you are a fan, then you know just what I'm talking about. My parents, however, think his movies are lousy. It takes all kinds, I guess.

Tatsujin

Re: Anybody here love Wes Anderson movies?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:08:40 PM »
love is in da air!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Kitsunexus

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:36:19 PM »
Paul W.S. Anderson > Wes Anderson.

AVP2 WILL BE OUT IN 20 DAYS!!!  :dance: :dance:

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »
ya, I can't wait either  :D

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 11:13:08 PM »
I totally love Rushmore, Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic. I haven't seen the others though. I actually pretty much hate about %80 of all movies made in the last 35 years, but this guy seems to entertain me.

Sinistron

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 01:27:52 AM »
I have all of the Wes Anderson DVDs- not a big fan of Bottle Rocket though besides James Caan's performance.  Haven't seen Darjeeling Limited.  Paul W.S. Anderson is in no way a better director- I don't take that seriously- however I might be inclined to agree that Paul THOMAS Anderson is the greater director.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

nat

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 03:38:04 AM »
I totally love Rushmore, Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic. I haven't seen the others though. I actually pretty much hate about %80 of all movies made in the last 35 years, but this guy seems to entertain me.

Those movies are all f*cking weird. I don't know what my feelings are about them. I guess it goes to follow they are all done by the same guy-- I never really cared enough to look into that.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 05:46:43 AM »
I saw Darjeeling Limited with the GF.  Here is my review of that thing:

This is a comedy which will appeal to artsy-fartsy "high brow" individuals.  There isn't a whole lot that is funny about it, but there are a few scenes which might make you think about smiling.  The characters are all pretty lame, which might be why they all smoke.  Smoking = lameness, that is fact.  The story was pretty boring as well.  Never did I care why the characters were doing what they were doing.  Whoever wrote and directed this movie is pretty uninteresting I imagine.  Bill Murray is in it for NO REASON and so is Natalie Portman.  Their appearances have nothing to do with the story or even logic for that matter.  They're just there.  I suppose the viewer is supposed to go "OMG ITZ NATALEE PORTMAN OMG THIS MOVIE IS GREAT LOL!!!1!"  The characters are all idiots and deserve to die.  No wonder their mom hates them.  I'd run away to a foreign country and become a nun if I pooped out such imbecilic offspring as well.

Spoiler
That whole scene with the dead kid and his 3rd world village could have and should have been removed from the movie.  It had no reason to be there.  I suppose it was in there so Adrien "Emo" Brody could finally discover that he likes kids and then go back to his bitch wife and actually enjoy the little thing she is about to have.  Nobody cares.  Also Nobody cares about Ringo Starr's ex girlfriend whom he keeps checking the messages of as well.  And nobody cares about Owen Wilson... not even Owen Wilson as he clearly felt the world would be better off without him.  Another scene that should have been removed was them trying to get the car started at the shop for NO REASON to go to their dad's funeral when they were already on their way just fine.  a$$holes.

Sinistron

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 06:04:21 AM »
yeah it looks just the way you describe it.  probably why I haven't run to the theatre to see it- and I've seen a few in theatres recently- Elizabeth II (Love me some Blanchett), No Country for Old Men (Incredible), Beowulf 3-D (like a Disney ride), The Mist (huge step backwards in CGI)...  ANYWAY back to Anderson- I feel Bottle Rocket was lame- Rushmore was his finest, Tenebaums great, Life Aquatic having good parts but ultimately boring.  Anderson tries to get quirkier and quirkier for quirk's sake and relies too heavily on perfectly symmetrical and colorful cinematography that looks pleasant while quirky soundtracks more in league with Sofia Coppola's movies ring out.  It's also obvious that Murray is his saving grace. I found him (Anderson) great at one point- but let's see what else he can do.  He's got Jared Hess imitating his whole shit- sometimes to greater effect.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 07:13:30 AM »
I enjoyed Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic, but they weren't anything special.  I've yet to see Bottle Rocket or Darjeeling, and with these glowing reviews, I don't care if I ever see them.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 07:42:33 AM »
while quirky soundtracks more in league with Sofia Coppola's movies ring out.

It's because old DEVO frontman Mark Mothersbaugh makes most of Anderson's scores. That dude has scored everything from movies and cartoons like Rugrats to games like Crash Bandicoot.

Sinistron

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 08:00:03 AM »
Yeah I was just watching VH1 Classic's 100 One Hit Wonders of All-Time or whatever it was- and on the inevitable Devo segment they showed his company and him behind a computer.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 10:32:21 AM »
Crash Bandicoot had a very bad and unmemorable soundtrack.  Granted I have only played the first game on the Playstation.  It was so bad that I never dared touch another Crash game again.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 10:46:17 AM »
Yeah I was just watching VH1 Classic's 100 One Hit Wonders of All-Time or whatever it was- and on the inevitable Devo segment they showed his company and him behind a computer.

I love how VH1 considers Devo a one hit wonder. I mean, not only did they have multiple charting singles but also quite a large library of stuff over all. If you are one of those jack-asses that only listens to radio and still think stuff like AC/DC or Michael Bolton are cool, then you'll actually think of Devo has a one hit wonder. Those have have something more than total contempt for music and art in general (ie: not VH1) know better

Which reminds me of this article which is really insightful, IMO.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 04:05:43 PM »
Crash Bandicoot had a very bad and unmemorable soundtrack.  Granted I have only played the first game on the Playstation.  It was so bad that I never dared touch another Crash game again.

The only Crash Bandicoot soundtracks I like are Crash: Warped and Crash Team Racing. Same guy though.