Author Topic: Dreamcast 2?  (Read 722 times)

nat

Dreamcast 2?
« on: December 06, 2007, 03:23:38 PM »

Bonknuts

Re: Dreamcast 2?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 03:36:50 PM »

Saw this topic over at the DP forums. Back in 2002-2003 I thought it would have been kick ass for Sega to come out with another console, but now... I'd be scare to buy it. Sega has had the crappiest track record with botched/poorly produced games, that I don't have faith in them anymore. I really regret not buying the Dreamcast when it first came out. I was holding out until the price of the unit dropped and then they go and cancel the system when I do buy it. Argh.

But yeah, the old Sega with a new system would kick ass.

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 03:40:52 PM »
I love the dreamcast and would probably buy a dreamcast2. I don't know if it would be any good though. The sega of today kinda sux. Sonic the Hedgehog on ps3 was a joke.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
As much as I love the Dreamcast and SEGA, I could not stand behind another one of their consoles. I'm a SEGA fan, not an idiot.

guyjin

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 04:16:43 PM »
maybe someday, but not today. The Dreamcast software was awesome; their software lately has been sucky.

maybe they'll make a portable someday.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 05:17:44 PM »
I would think it's too soon for Sega to jump back in.  People wouldn't trust them as you can see by the posts here.  I'd buy it without hesitation, of course.

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 05:26:39 PM »
This is the second time in two years I have seen stupid "Sega is making a new console!" reports.

The Sega of your childhood is dead, deal with it.  Only AM2 is worth talking about anymore.

nat

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 05:38:12 PM »
Yeah, I don't think there is anything to it, really. But I had to post it.

And I agree with Joe-- it's too soon.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 07:41:37 PM »
Sega likely plans on releasing Dreamcast games for the Virtual Console.  Whoops, VC cannnot handle that.  I meant Xbox Live Arcade and PS3 Home Nonsense.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 07:44:04 PM »
Sega likely plans on releasing Dreamcast games for the Virtual Console.  Whoops, VC cannnot handle that.  I meant Xbox Live Arcade and PS3 Home Nonsense.

VC can handle Dreamcast, I mean, hell, Gamecube was able to handle Dreamcast and isn't the Wii just a Gamecube with a sleeker look, rip-off emulator and gimmicky controller?

Turbo D

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 07:52:58 PM »
Gamecube ripped off dreamcasts disk format. High rpm compression. The only difference was that the gamecube used a pussy sized disk so that you couldn't play music on the console. I think that the dreamcast had better grafx than the gamecube aswell.

WoodyXP

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »
Word.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »
Quote from: Kitsunexus

VC can handle Dreamcast

No it can't.  There is only 512 MB of storage on the internal memory, and the Wii can only (slowly) copy to and from a connected SD card, not read and run things directly from it.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 11:20:09 PM »
Oh WTF. This is such a stupid, poorly produced article based on the flimsiest of logic.

"While most of the devices listed could easily relate to the original Dreamcast, flash memory cards and floor mats were never a part of the company's machine. Could Sega be quietly getting ready to re-enter the console business?"

Yes. Yes they were, dumb-ass. Leave it to Kotaku to paraphrase the same idiotic theory in the original idiotic article.

VMUs most definitely were flash memory cards. I don't know what kind of a tool you have to be to think otherwise. Also, the controller that came packed with DDR 2nd Mix was certainly a floor mat.

Anyway, nobody has the money to launch a new system these days exact maybe General Motors or Phizer or something. Its so expensive and the initial losses won't turn into profits for a decade or more. Instead of developing the Xbox MS could have just developed a new cutting edge cruise missile technology, bought a small fleet of B2s and bombed every Sony and Nintendo building on the world because it would have been *cheaper* that the plan they actually chose. Only European courts would have had the balls to prosecute, and who cares about them?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 12:13:51 AM »
Well of course it's stupid, Zeta. It's Kotaku, one of the dumbest blogs on the Internet. (The dumbest is BoingBoing.)