Author Topic: Strange networking/internet issue  (Read 354 times)

MissaFX

Strange networking/internet issue
« on: December 12, 2007, 06:47:57 AM »
For some reason ever since 3 days ago my PC will loose the ability to communicate overports 23 and 80 after running for an hour or two.  It also looses the ability to communicate over other ports, FTP being one of the only things I can do when it does this.

I have to reboot to fix the problem for another hour to two.  I have had to remove my switch/gateway because I would only get a few minutes of internet/network use connected to it (I have been using it for over 7 years).  With my PC directly connected to the DSL modem through an networking cable (not usb) I get the hour to two of use, but cannot talk to anything else on the network, nor can the other PC use the internet (because the internet is no longer connected to the network when it is plugged into my PC) so this isn't a very good fix.  Trend Micro says I have no viruses, I also do not have any visable spyware.

Any ideas?  My only thought right now is maybe something is going wrong with the built in 1G/100/10 internal networking chip?

I'm kinda out of ideas and do not want to start replacing hardware until I have to.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

ceti alpha

Re: Strange networking/internet issue
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 07:19:23 AM »
Yeah, I'm having networking issues as well. But rather with my SMB file sharing.  ](*,) It works over hardwire, but the wireless is not working. It would be nice if I actually did something to affect the wireless, but I didn't do a thing.

It's frustrating. My conclusion is that wireless is sketchy at best.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

MissaFX

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 07:23:03 AM »
I find WiFi it totally unsuitable for games so I don't use it cept for my PSP.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

ceti alpha

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 07:38:57 AM »
PSP?!! You don't use a Turbo Express?!!  :P

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

MissaFX

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:08:36 AM »
PSP?!! You don't use a Turbo Express?!!  :P

That Turbo Express WiFi mod sounds complicated to me. :P

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:14:16 AM »
I doubt that the problem lies with your on-board network card, but it wouldn't hurt to uninstall it and reinstall it with your MB's latest drivers.  Do you have a router or firewall enabled?

That Turbo Express WiFi mod sounds complicated to me. :P

:lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MissaFX

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 08:22:30 AM »
I doubt that the problem lies with your on-board network card, but it wouldn't hurt to uninstall it and reinstall it with your MB's latest drivers.  Do you have a router or firewall enabled?

I don't use new drivers for anything anymore because the ones that ship with the hardware always seem the most tested.  I have tried to re-install the origional drivers which have been working for years and it's the same.  Atm the switch/gateway/firewall is unhooked.  I am in win2k, using no software firewall and no hardware one right now, a direct connection to the DSL modem.  The DSL modem is a high quality replacement too and under a year old.  It's working great.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 06:28:27 PM »
How would you actually go about enabling a Turbo Express for Wi-Fi? It shouldn't have to actually interface with the game software just the TGEXP itself. Couldn't you just take one of those USB Wi-Fi dongles, supply power to it, and make it send the link cable data to another Wi-Fi modded TGEXP? I know it's more complictaed to that, but it doesn't seem MUCH more complicated.

Can somebody please come up with an in-depth theory on how this COULD work?

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 06:55:34 PM »
Uh, it couldn't?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 07:04:22 PM »
That tells me jack shit, Ernie. Could a BASIC Stamp handle the necessary Wi-Fi processing needed to run? After all, we aren't shooting for 320-bit WEP encryption, we just need TGEXP 1 to talk to TGEXP 2 and share data.

nodtveidt

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 12:58:34 AM »
Missa, it sounds like your NIC is starting to fail and needs replacing. Since it's onboard, it could easily be caused by excess heat from dust collected on the motherboard. Disable your onboard NIC in the BIOS and get a normal PCI-based one (about $10US). If the problem doesn't go away, repackage the NIC you just bought and send it back because the problem is highly likely to be an OS issue that no amount of new hardware is going to fix. For some reason, network devices are the first things to flake out when using Windows.

MissaFX

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 08:53:58 AM »
I finally tracked down the problem.  Some bastard program installed mrosa.sys, hldrrr.exe and wintems.exe into my system32 folder!!!  I had to delete the files in DOS and then remove the Reg items which made them load on boot and presto-fixo, my PC is healed :clap:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 09:11:32 AM »
Those files were made by a Mitglieder or Bagle trojan variant.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MissaFX

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »
Those files were made by a Mitglieder or Bagle trojan variant.

Well whatever made them has been pissing me off for weeks to no end.

I do have another strange issue though, my PC won't boot into Safe mode, it tells me "Inaccessable Boot Device".  My OS is even on the C drive, which is hooked up to the internal controller on my motherboard.  Now I have to figure out what it causing that.