Author Topic: The AWESOME Digital comic/adventure game thread  (Read 1139 times)

Hobo Xiphas

Re: The AWESOME Digital comic/adventure game thread
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 04:23:25 PM »
Xiphas Hotel Dusk starts out really great, but never really goes anywhere.

That's pretty depressing.  I was looking forward to playing it.

You've played the Eve Burst Error games?  Zig is always raving about them, I have the PC versions in English but I just haven't bothered trying to play them yet.  I was thinking of installing Linux on my PS3 and using Wine to play them.

I had to play them using Windows, WINE didn't cut it on my actual factual Linux PC installation, so it'll probably crash and burn even worse on a PS3 bastardization.

I'm not surprised that Zig raves about them, but from what I've seen, we have, uhh, diverging tastes.

Does anyone know of any translated digital comics or upcoming translations other than Policenauts?  I remember one for famicom called Jesus or something, it was on a space station, it seemed cool but the sound effects were horrific so I quit playing.

A lot of TYPE-MOON stuff has been translated\is being translated, but that's PC stuff and not really digital comics per se.

Black Tiger

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 04:26:09 PM »
Ranma 1/2 #2 is really fun(and fiunny), easy for gaijins and very polished.

The Space Adventure Cobra Sega-CD(Cobra II on PCE) is one of my favorites. Its well done, fun and has a great Army of Darkness style cool-cheezy localization. Its fairly straight forward, but is closer to Snatcher than the Gunbusters.

Policenauts for Saturn. I love this game, although like Cobra II it feels kinda linear/connect-the-dots-ish compared to Snatcher. Its less 'cheap' in its difficulty than Snatcher and is designed better as a game, but the theme/art/characters/etc aren't nearly as cool and feel bland in comparison. Still a great digital comic on its own.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Turbo D

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 04:46:09 PM »
wine isn't compatible on ps3 because it uses ppc.

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 04:49:24 PM »

I should have remembered that.  #-o

Well, there goes that plan, GUTS, hahaha.

Tatsujin

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 04:50:46 PM »
Some great PCE comics: Cobra II, Ranma 1/2 2, Private Eye Dol, Sotsugyou Shashin. 

Some good PCE comics: 3x3 Eyes, Digital Angel, Kagami no Kuni no Legend, Snatcher. 

Some decent PCE comics: Cal II, Urusei Yatsura, Nadia.

Some bad PCE comics: Miki, Cal III, Yawara.

why snatcher isn't in the "Some great PCE comics" category? all i mean, does it goes any better than this one?
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 04:51:53 PM »
The Space Adventure Cobra Sega-CD(Cobra II on PCE) is one of my favorites. Its well done, fun and has a great Army of Darkness style cool-cheezy localization. Its fairly straight forward, but is closer to Snatcher than the Gunbusters.

I'm totally going to try this one, I can't believe I never came across it before.  Weird.

Turbo D

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 04:54:53 PM »

I should have remembered that.  #-o

Well, there goes that plan, GUTS, hahaha.

haha, i know, it sux. There is a ppc wine project, but I don't really have faith in it. I just wanted to run magic engine on xubuntu ps3. I asked in the magic engine forum but no one cared.

here is that ppc wine project:http://darwine.opendarwin.org/index.php

Joe Redifer

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 05:01:56 PM »
I have Policenauts for the Sega Saturn 32-bit Entertainment Powerhouse and I like to use my Saturn Stunner Light Gun with it to shoot things.  The first disc is super short for some reason, shorter than even a quick playthough of Castle of Illusion.  Then for NO REASON you go to space.  Well, there might be a reason, but I don't speak the MOON LANGUAGE this game tries to pass off as dialog.  I'd love a translation patch, but I fear it'd probably be for the PS version and not the Saturn.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 05:08:15 PM »
Well, there might be a reason, but I don't speak the MOON LANGUAGE this game tries to pass off as dialog.

I don't speak Japanese either.

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 05:24:40 PM »
it'd probably be for the PS version and not the Saturn.

You got it.  :-&

It's better than nothing.

Keranu

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 05:30:59 PM »
I'm really hoping for PC-98 and 3DO translations someday myself!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 09:01:12 PM »
Dammit, Wine doesn't work on PS3?  It worked on my Xbox, but the menus wouldn't work on Eve which was disappointing since everything worked great other than the menu problem.  Oh well.

Space Adventure Cobra was great, but WAY too easy to the point of being a little boring since the puzzles were all short-bus material and the story was funny and dumb but not cool enough to carry the lack of challenge.

runinruder

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 09:48:20 PM »
Some great PCE comics: Cobra II, Ranma 1/2 2, Private Eye Dol, Sotsugyou Shashin. 

Some good PCE comics: 3x3 Eyes, Digital Angel, Kagami no Kuni no Legend, Snatcher. 

Some decent PCE comics: Cal II, Urusei Yatsura, Nadia.

Some bad PCE comics: Miki, Cal III, Yawara.

why snatcher isn't in the "Some great PCE comics" category? all i mean, does it goes any better than this one?

Snatcher is cool, but I thought a few other comics (like Cobra II and Ranma 1/2 2) were much more entertaining.  And Snatcher's final act was forty-five of the most boring minutes I've ever spent with a PCE game. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SignOfZeta

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 11:12:02 PM »

Xiphas Hotel Dusk starts out really great, but never really goes anywhere.  The mystery isn't very good unfortunately in the long run.

I'm going to just mention here that I loved Hotel Dusk, and somebody else here did too.

guyjin

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 01:16:00 AM »
Dammit, Wine doesn't work on PS3?  It worked on my Xbox, but the menus wouldn't work on Eve which was disappointing since everything worked great other than the menu problem.  Oh well.

Wait, you mean a piece of Playstation3 software is an inferior port of the xbox version? SHOCK! GASP!
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin