Author Topic: The AWESOME Digital comic/adventure game thread  (Read 1138 times)

GUTS

The AWESOME Digital comic/adventure game thread
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:17:49 AM »
This is for listing all the greatest Snatcher style games you've played, and only Snatcher style games (hybrids are ok too as long as part of the game is a digital comic).  Xiphas and his annual playthrough of Snatcher got me thinking how awesome a good digital comic is so I thought it would be fun to see what everyone's favorites are.  Mine-

Snatcher (Sega CD)- My personal favorite.  The Blade Runner rip-off story, violence, and adult atmosphere made this one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences ever for me.  The voice acting was even decent enough to not ruin anything, even though I saw the Random Hajile thing coming as soon as I first read his name.

Famicom Detective Club 2 (SNES)- This is a very, very close second.  The story was amazing and moved at such a great clip that I finished the whole game in one sitting.  I loved the graphics too, very clean and anime inspired but with a realistic touch that kept things serious while not losing the feel of a Nintendo game.  In fact I'd rank this as high as Snatcher if it had voice acting and some animated bits to flesh it out, I really wish Nintendo would update the game or produce a sequel, that would easily get me to buy a Wii or another DS.

Spellcaster (Master System)- A great mix of digital comic, RPG, and side scrolling action.  I don't remember much about it except that it was a great quest with some seriously challenging parts, the pyramid maze in particular was grueling.  I'd love to play it again though, I really need to track it down.

There are a few PC titles like Eve Burst Error that I've been meaning to play through, but I find it impossible to play PC games since I'd rather lay on my couch.

Kitsunexus

Re: The AWESOME Digital comic/adventure game thread
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:22:44 AM »
Comix Zone :P

Seriously though, Snatcher rules, and I love the little 8-bit intro to Famicom Tantei Club 2.  :lol:

Tatsujin

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:29:52 AM »
yeah..snatcher CD-ROMantic is and will be the best D-Comic of all time!! that game is just uber amazing!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 12:22:56 PM »
I agree with GUTS 100% as usual.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Policenauts translation project to release.  It will be a happy day when that happens.

If I had a DS, I'd probably pick up Trace Memory and definitely Hotel Dusk.  Hell, I might buy a DS just for Hotel Dusk, that game looks awesome; very similar to Famicom Detective Club.

There are a few PC titles like Eve Burst Error that I've been meaning to play through, but I find it impossible to play PC games since I'd rather lay on my couch.

Sucks.  Stay far away from it.  Also stay away from any Hirameki International games.  They are either horrible games or decent games ruined by awful translations.

EDIT: I'm an idiot and still think it is 2006.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 10:57:44 AM by Xiphas Classic »

rolins

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 12:27:39 PM »
Policenauts (Saturn) - No need for introductions. I can't wait for the translation patch.
Psy-O-Blade (PC-8801) - Great point n' click game w/ an excellent soundtrack. You play through 2 separate story lines and take control of 2 different protagonists.

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »
GUTS are you sure you aren't confusing Xiphas with NASAchusetts? NASAchusetts plays Snatcher every year around Christmas time, fits perfectly.

There are only so few digital comics I can comment on since the vast majority are in Japanese, but it is a blast to play through what's available.

Snatcher - The best obviously. To spark debate here, which version? :D

Shadowgate - Not sure if others would consider this a digital comic, but I do and it's classic.

J.B. Harold Murder Club - Another game that some might find hard to consider a digital comic, but a fantastic game nonetheless thanks to the amazing mystery solving.

Famicom Detective Club 2 - I nearly completely agree with GUTS on this one.

Games that look promising:

Dead of the Brain 1 and 2 - Ever since I saw videos for it on some really weird Brazilian PCE site (no not UNIVERSO PC ENGINE), I got excited to see how cool and spooky it looked! Hopefully the translation will finish.

Cobra and Cobra II - Black_Tiger gives much praise to these games saying they're (or at least the second) better than Snatcher.

Blue Chicago Blues - Another J.B. Harold game except this case takes place in the radical city of Chicago! Me and Xiphas are eager to play this one, but the problem is that the English versions are harder to come by. What systems are the English versions for again? Laser Active is one...
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 01:19:48 PM »
I like Rise of the Dragon for sega cd. Its a little bit of a hybrid, but it doesn't matter cuz it kicks ass. You shouldn't be disappointed with this game.

Tatsujin

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 01:20:03 PM »
uruse~ yatsura! is great as well. never beat it though, but my better half did :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 01:22:25 PM »
GUTS are you sure you aren't confusing Xiphas with NASAchusetts? NASAchusetts plays Snatcher every year around Christmas time, fits perfectly.

I'm playing through it right now too, I totally stole that idea from him.  8)

Blue Chicago Blues - Another J.B. Harold game except this case takes place in the radical city of Chicago! Me and Xiphas are eager to play this one, but the problem is that the English versions are harder to come by. What systems are the English versions for again? Laser Active is one...

I want to play this one just to laugh at the northsiders the game centers on to be honest.  8)

nat

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 01:24:06 PM »
I have 3x3 Eyes (PCE) sitting here in my collection waiting to be played. I'll get around to it someday. I booted it up once just for shits and it looks f*cking awesome.

runinruder

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »
Some great PCE comics: Cobra II, Ranma 1/2 2, Private Eye Dol, Sotsugyou Shashin. 

Some good PCE comics: 3x3 Eyes, Digital Angel, Kagami no Kuni no Legend, Snatcher. 

Some decent PCE comics: Cal II, Urusei Yatsura, Nadia.

Some bad PCE comics: Miki, Cal III, Yawara.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

rag-time4

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 02:17:46 PM »
How about Sadakichi Seven: Hideyoshi-no Ougon? Does that qualify?

GUTS

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 02:27:01 PM »
I can't believe I forgot about the Policenauts translation, that's my top most anticipated game translation.

Xiphas Hotel Dusk starts out really great, but never really goes anywhere.  The mystery isn't very good unfortunately in the long run.  You've played the Eve Burst Error games?  Zig is always raving about them, I have the PC versions in English but I just haven't bothered trying to play them yet.  I was thinking of installing Linux on my PS3 and using Wine to play them.

Does anyone know of any translated digital comics or upcoming translations other than Policenauts?  I remember one for famicom called Jesus or something, it was on a space station, it seemed cool but the sound effects were horrific so I quit playing.

nat

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 02:47:26 PM »
The English patch for Bubblegum Crash (Turbo/PCE) should be out soon. I think the translation is completely done and just needs to be inserted.

Also, I think it was already mentioned but Dead of the Brain 1 & 2 are in the process of being translated.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »
I'm not sure I've ever seen anything that can compare to Snatcher and Policenauts, to be honest. Here are some I've enjoyed though:

Aim for the Top! (Gunbuster) 1 and 2: Part 2 is much more interesting than 1. I'm pissed that Vol 3 never got made since this is one of my favorite anime.

Nadia: Nice graphics and a fun trivia game if you understand Japanese and know the show.

Yuna 1 and 2: Part 1 was more interactive in the DC sense but part 2 has card battles that are more interesting and much better graphics.

3x3 Eyes: Not a very good DC gameplay-wise (most aren't) but really nice graphics.

If you count the simulation stuff in this genre then you could do worse than Tokimeki Memorial and Princess Maker. Stuff like Graduation is just creepy though, now that I'm an old man.

Avoid: Cal, Cal II, Cal III, and any other Cal's that were made.

And of course, Jesus for Famicom. I absolutely love the cover and the new art style used for the console port. The name, obviously, caught my eye as well. No, it isn't pronounced hey-soos either.