Author Topic: PCE Flash Cards  (Read 3018 times)

Paisa49

PCE Flash Cards
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:29:15 AM »
I've been researching Flash cards, and they seem to work quite well. Have any of you had difficulties utilizing these flash cards on TG-16's? Are there any drawbacks to utilizing Flash Cards?

Also, will there be a mass ordering for the 128M cards soon?

D-Lite

Re: PCE Flash Cards
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 03:34:41 AM »
I've been researching Flash cards, and they seem to work quite well. Have any of you had difficulties utilizing these flash cards on TG-16's? Are there any drawbacks to utilizing Flash Cards?

Also, will there be a mass ordering for the 128M cards soon?
I've discussed the 128M cards with some folks and will probably be doing a mass order soon.

I've been using the 64M card on my TG16 and it works fine.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 03:36:36 AM »
My 64Mb version works great in my US Duo, so I don't see why a 128Mb version wouldn't work in a TG-16.  The only difficulties that I had were getting the PC software to work properly, but that was due to a combination of user error and poor documentation, not a fault of the hardware.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Paisa49

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:40:46 AM »
Necro, what difficulties did you have in getting the software to work properly on your computer? Will this only work with a particular version of Windows? I'm thinking of emailing the Turbo List to gauge interest, I'd like to jump in on a mass order.

Also, with these flash cards, can you add and subtract to the card whenever?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 03:46:20 AM by Paisa49 »

nat

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 04:27:49 AM »
Necro, what difficulties did you have in getting the software to work properly on your computer? Will this only work with a particular version of Windows?

We're all using XP and it works fine. I can't comment on other versions of Windows.

The problems he refers to stems from the fact this package includes the absolute worst f*cking documentation/driver bundle I've ever encountered. You get the drivers on these little tiny 3" CD-Rs. If your CD drive can even read them, you are then set up with the amazing task of actually finding the driver for the USB interface. It took me like 45 minutes to get everything installed correctly. The README consists of the following:

Install the driver and software

The End

What they don't tell you is that the CD contains drivers for 639 other flash cart/USB setups so you get the fun task of trial and error. To top it all off, the driver itself is incorrectly named (at least on the CD I got). I had to rename it for it to work with the provided .INF.

It's a good thing Team Neo's ability to create a good flash cart isn't tied to their ability to create a usable driver bundle.

The cart itself is awesome. Just don't use the RESET button.

Also, with these flash cards, can you add and subtract to the card whenever?

Yes and no. You can write to the cart whenever you want. But you have to rewrite the entire memory every time. So if you want to remove just one game you just have to re-write everything that was there before except the game you don't want.

It's not a big deal since writing only takes like 20 seconds.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 04:29:21 AM by nat »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 04:52:42 AM »
Like nat said, the installation instructions blow.  I was lucky and had no problems installing the hardware (XP did it automatically), but the software kept telling me that it couldn't find the cart.  After several kagillion insertions, it finally found it, so it may have had slightly corroded contacts or maybe I just wasn't jamming it in hard enough (that's what she said).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 05:59:46 AM »
I'd be interested in this flash card business. But I know the pain of finding drivers and whatnot. I had to do that with my LG Chocolate Phone. I bought software from eBay that had NO instructions, but it allowed me to download songs without buying the official MP3 player package, which costs twice as much. What a headache.  ](*,) To top it all off I think it screwed with my phone because my MP3 player doesn't work anymore. Now the phone is sent back on warranty; hopefully they won't realize that I unlocked the phone's port. hehe  :-$

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 06:22:41 AM »
Now the phone is sent back on warranty; hopefully they won't realize that I unlocked the phone's port. hehe  :-$

the repair guy at LG is likely a rabid pcengine fan who lurks this forum constantly..... #-o
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

ceti alpha

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 07:11:39 AM »
the repair guy at LG is likely a rabid pcengine fan who lurks this forum constantly..... d'oh!

Haha!! That would be just my luck too.  :-#

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

spenoza

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 08:21:29 AM »
So, how do I get in on an order for one (via a group rather than individually) and what's the cost?
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

D-Lite

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »
So, how do I get in on an order for one (via a group rather than individually) and what's the cost?
The cost per unit at 10+ is $119 each before any shipping or fees.  What's likely to happen is I'll just flat out buy 10 of the beasts and then make them available.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

Bonknuts

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 09:43:38 AM »
I heard a rumor that tototek is coming out with USB only versions of some of their cards.

rainbow_bright

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 11:59:06 AM »
Excuse my ignorance, but is a Flash card just a card that stores roms? So you can download them , and then play them on your Tg16 or Pc engine?

nat

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 12:00:48 PM »
Yes.

Great for playing JP->Eng game translations that you would otherwise be restricted to playing via an emulator (eww).

rainbow_bright

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 12:03:11 PM »
Oh cool :) I should get my hands on one of these suckers!