Author Topic: PCE Flash Cards  (Read 3036 times)

nat

Re: PCE Flash Cards
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 03:34:42 PM »
It seems like a pretty good product. I guess what baffles me is that it works great on my Duo 100% of the time but it won't work on a regular TurboGrafx.

Keranu

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 05:56:26 PM »
Well I guess you shouldn't be too tremendously surprised, as most flash card type things are usually cheaply made "hacker quality" products that rely on ancient technology like parallel ports.
Hey I wish more products these days used parallel ports! I'm sick of everything using USB now!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2008, 06:45:03 PM »
What possible reason could you have to want to use a parallel port?  That is just insane.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 08:59:17 PM »
Quote from: Keranu

I'm sick of everything using USB now!

I KNOW!!!  Convenience sucks ASS!

MissaFX

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 10:04:59 PM »
If only the flash card required a VLB slot, that would just be super! :clap:
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

ceti alpha

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2008, 01:39:43 AM »
I KNOW!!!  Convenience sucks ASS!

teehee

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

spenoza

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2008, 03:30:53 AM »
I vote for the next flash card supporting a NuBus card interface only.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Joe Redifer

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2008, 11:50:42 AM »
Or better yet, ADB which is only available on ancient Macs.

spenoza

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2008, 01:18:36 PM »
NuBus slots are available on fewer Macs (and computers in general) than ADB. ADB survived until Apple's blue G3 towers and NuBus died off shortly after the original PPC revolution.

Wow, I just ranted to try and win an obscurity pissing contest. That's kinda embarrassing.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

agranger5

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2008, 03:04:07 PM »
I've got the Neo Power 64 meg version and have had it for over a year now.  It works great.  All of the games both US and Japanese have worked great on it except for one.  I have trouble with TwinBee having trash in the graphics while it is playing.  It boots up great but plays with distorted graphics.  It's the only game that does this for me.  I'm playing on an American Duo with a Region Switch.  Ive programed the card for both regions and I have even used the numerous hacked versions of the rom and they have all had the same trash in the graphics.  Has anyone else experienced this?

BigT

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2008, 05:08:37 PM »
What possible reason could you have to want to use a parallel port?  That is just insane.

Parallel ports (and RS232 serial ports) are rather simple designs that are well documented and easy to program for... great for homebrew projects.

As long as we're on the subject of obscure computer buses, I feel compelled to suggest IBM's MCA and Amiga's Zorro...

And come on, ADB was never really designed for data transfer  [-X  :wink: It was originally introduced on the Apple IIgs for mice and keyboards and then was adapted for the Mac line. It only transfers a few kilobits/second, so it would take quite a while to transfer the contents of a Hucard.

Keranu

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »
I was somewhat joking. It does piss me off though when stuff like printers use USB ports because then you just have a parellel port available for no reason. I want to use my USB ports for other things, not printers! Not to mention parallel ports are way cooler. It's not like there is anything wrong with using a parrellel port, it's just not hip like you anymore.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2008, 05:44:46 PM »
I was somewhat joking. It does piss me off though when stuff like printers use USB ports because then you just have a parellel port available for no reason.

Computers still come with parallel ports? I had no idea.

MissaFX

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »
It's not like there is anything wrong with using a parallel port, it's just not hip like you anymore.

If a USB device is like putting glue on your CPU, using a parallel port is like burying it in cement and dropping it in the ocean.  They are very system intensive to use, I have 4 use ports, 1 of which has a hub and card reader on it.  I have plenty of usb slots to use so my parallel port goes unused and dusty.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Turbo D

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
I've never used my parallel port. I'm assuming that it is that big ugly oblong pink think on the back of my pc, right? All of my 2 printers have been usb. All of my accessories are usb too! I have always wanted to use that parallel port for something though. Seeing it there taking up space with no use makes me angry, haha.