Author Topic: tzd, dead?  (Read 4920 times)

nat

Re: tzd, dead?
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2008, 02:35:16 AM »
No doubt.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2008, 03:08:05 AM »
Too bad TZD didn't sell to me, the only thing that I would've auctioned is the 800 copies of Power Golf.  I don't know how much stuff they had left, but I would've pulled the trigger if it wasn't more than $10,000 or so. 

Them keeping a few lone copies of a few titles doesn't bother me, since there wouldn't be a fair way to sell them anyway (outside of an auction).  What could they have done, listed a single copy for sale and then canceled the thirty orders that came after the first?  That would've pissed off a few people.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2008, 03:52:07 AM »
That's exactly what they were doing (an auction).

But it was an in-house auction, so only actual Turbo players and fans had access to it as opposed to the scoundrels on eBay.

Remember a year or so ago when they started selling off those titles? They did the A's and the B's and basically said to e-mail or call Steve with your highest offer. In many cases they had more than one copy of the games left so they were able to satisfy a couple people at least. They listed what they were letting go in the "News" section on the front page. They stopped after the A's and B's, in retrospect, I think Michael was right when he said they held that stuff back because they knew they were going to sell soon and wanted some more of the heavy-hitters to help sell the stock. The original plan from what I gather was that they were going to continue with the "mini-auctions" until all that other stuff was sold through, but it never came to be.

I was able to score a brand new copy of Blazing Lazers during that initial mini-auction deal though.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2008, 04:15:05 AM »
You guys are crazy. As much I as respect the NEC/TTI/TZD legacy, the truth is that TZD hasn't had shit worth buying in a decade except for maybe an extension cable, or during that 1/8 of its existence when it had new Expresses and Duos (with no games) so while I'll probably mention it in my podcast this doesn't really effect me in the slightest.

If you wanted any of those rare games that TZD had 5 copies of, you should have bought the f*ckers back during Clinton's first term. If some guy pays triple price for something you've been hemming and hawing over purchasing for over TWELVE f*ckING YEARS that just means you missed your boat.

I swear man...seriously...

spenoza

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2008, 04:17:17 AM »
Truth of the matter is, the model of the old TZD was unsustainable. There was certainly little business value in the venture. It was probably more like a hobby for someone. It was inevitable it would peter out. And now that TZD has been sold, going the eBay auction route is probably really the only way to make it worth the time or the money.

I don't like these changes, but they couldn't be said to be unexpected or unreasonable. They get a wider audience and eBay inflated prices and shipping. For them it's a win-win. There's no way it could be a win-win for us, really.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

nat

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2008, 04:21:23 AM »
You guys are crazy.

Calm down, dude.

I already own all that shit. I'm thinking of people other than myself here. People who maybe didn't get into the console back when TZD was first around.

I'm also thinking of them supporting the price inflation happening on eBay surrounding Turbo stuff. TZD was like the one sanctuary that didn't fall victim to that stupid shit. And now they're just another a$$hole eBay store seller.

My ranting has nothing to do with me, or the fact that I need games from them (I don't), I'm thinking of other people and the community in general here.

spenoza brings up a good point-- it was inevitable. But that doesn't mean I can't be upset about it. It's sad.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2008, 04:34:59 AM »
If you wanted any of those rare games that TZD had 5 copies of, you should have bought the f*ckers back during Clinton's first term. If some guy pays triple price for something you've been hemming and hawing over purchasing for over TWELVE f*ckING YEARS that just means you missed your boat.

What was I thinking?  If only I had access to your genius back in the early 90s, I could have bought the entire Turbo library soon after everything was originally released.  I think I'll go out today and buy a dozen Wiis, every accessory, and a copy of every game - just in case I ever want to play one of 'em.  It's absolutely retarded to buy something later when you can just buy it now.

Truth of the matter is, the model of the old TZD was unsustainable.

True, it couldn't last forever.  I don't have a problem with the ebay route, as long as the descriptions are honest, there's no fraudulent combined shipping charges (a high price is irrelevant if it's known pre-bid), and they don't end the auctions early or bid the price up dishonestly.

Sinistron

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2008, 04:46:25 AM »
If only I had access to your genius back in the early 90s, I could have bought the entire Turbo library soon after everything was originally released.
Right?  Especially with all that cash I was flaunting when I was sixteen...  :-s

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

SignOfZeta

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2008, 04:48:14 AM »
What was I thinking?  If only I had access to your genius back in the early 90s, I could have bought the entire Turbo library soon after everything was originally released.  I think I'll go out today and buy a dozen Wiis, every accessory, and a copy of every game - just in case I ever want to play one of 'em.  It's absolutely retarded to buy something later when you can just buy it now.

You know when the ad says, "Collect them all!". Did you know that you don't have to do that? You don't need Deep Blue or crappy ports of arcade games that have since been greatly surpassed.

The TG-16 is the only system in history to provide an official channel for software well over a decade after its death. They certainly didn't do this with the SNES, or the Genesis or even the PC Engine. Shit, nobody at NEC even knows what a PC Engine is anymore.

You had your chance. If you absolutely have to have a complete collection of TG-16 games, even the horrible ones, crappy covers and useless cardboard boxes and all, you'll just have to be richer. Rob a bank or something. TZD provided far more than anyone could ever ask...well, except you guys, I guess.

Sinistron

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2008, 04:51:46 AM »
TZD provided far more than anyone could ever ask...

They never massaged my balls...   :cry:

atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Carbon Tiger

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2008, 05:17:24 AM »
I feel sympathy for anyone trying to buy American games for this system on ebay. I managed not to get gouged too bad on the 4 USA games I own but for anyone trying to build a collection off of the USA only releases. I've done the math and its probably anywhere for 2x to 3x as much as their Japanese counter parts.

That's supply and demand I guess. Doesn't mean its fair or even a good reflection of true market value. Still I think I'm going to watch the ebay sales just to see how crazy it gets. If it doesn't get too nutty I might snag something but I doubt the prices will even stay sane.

I mean I consider Japangamestock.com to be a bit pricey vs. the three ebay stores I use for PCE stuff and even they have Exile going for $13.51.........so I'll guess we'll see.   
My game collection at PCE Daisakusen
http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/33/147/show-user.htm

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2008, 05:29:06 AM »
You know when the ad says, "Collect them all!". Did you know that you don't have to do that? You don't need Deep Blue or crappy ports of arcade games that have since been greatly surpassed.

Sit up straighter - you're missing the point.  Haven't you ever had a game grow on you that you previously disliked or ever wanted to replace a worn out or damaged game or accessory?  I liked knowing that TZD was there to supply a new A/V cable, controller, tap, etc. should the need arise.

TZD provided far more than anyone could ever ask...well, except you guys, I guess.

How long TZD was in business and how long these games have been available is irrelevant.  They provided desirable goods in a professional manner (for the most part), which is why many of us will miss them.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2008, 05:34:42 AM »
Question, is Power Golf really that bad? I understand that it's no Links or Wicked 13 or Hot Shots Golf, but still...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2008, 05:43:12 AM »
Question, is Power Golf really that bad? I understand that it's no Links or Wicked 13 or Hot Shots Golf, but still...

See runinruder's review.  My feelings towards it are about the same, except I don't really care for any golf games.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2008, 05:48:11 AM »
Hmm so it's just meh. I kinda wanted to buy one, until it was revealed the new TZD were a$$holes.

Technically the old TZD weren't a$$holes for sitting on all that rare stuff though...they probably just didn't have enough of the games to actually list the items on their site.