Author Topic: Anyone (like me) not give a damn about new systems?  (Read 888 times)

rainbow_bright

Anyone (like me) not give a damn about new systems?
« on: January 06, 2008, 01:40:29 AM »
 I'm really not interested in anything that came after the 16 bit era (make that, not interested in the slightest). I played an x box once lol. I have never played a ps3, wii or 360 and don't plan too! Gaming for me, went totally downhill after the 16 bit era. I just don't like 3d games.

Anyone share my feelings for what came after 16 bit? It seems , that 2d gaming is very much a thing of the past. But, what do I know? I never go into gaming shops, never pick up any games magazines..I'm totally out of the loop , with regards to anything that came after the Playstation.

guyjin

Re: Anyone (like me) not give a damn about new systems?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 02:12:00 AM »
Well, I did go through a phase where I thought the new consoles were crap, but I got over it.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

rainbow_bright

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:41:13 AM »
Don't mind me,  I'm just stuck in the past :)
How much are games these days? like an average title for a new generation system?

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 02:54:15 AM »
dito. but i don't think the later consoles are crap, just i'm not that interessted in :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

rainbow_bright

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 03:31:32 AM »
I don't think they are crap either. :) It's just, I prefer 2d gaming :)

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 03:45:13 AM »
Not right now cause I can't afford them, but I understand alot of new shmups are on deck so something's getting my attention and something to look ahead to

EDIT: Yeah and I'm definitely looking forward to playing the new Ghostbusters game as well!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 07:35:40 AM by Ninja Spirit »

MissaFX

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 03:47:44 AM »
My main gripe with the current generation of consoles is that they seem to offer nothing new in terms of gameplay.  I feel much about them like I did with the dreamcast when it came out, consoles stuck in between generations.  Sure it was nice (DC), but it just didn't seem to be a clear cut above the consoles that came right before it.  If the current generation of consoles were still exactly as they are now but they only cost 150 dollars or less they would be more appealing to me.  I'm not going to spend 500 dollars though on a PS3 or a 360 when the origional playstation still gives me basically the same gaming experience as either of those consoles would.  I don't play consoles online so the fact the PSX lacks this feature does not hinder my enjoyment.  The DC was the last console I really played online, since it was free.  The way online gaming should be.

The PSP however does offer something new in the sense that it is a portable emulation monster with online and multiplayer games.  Never has so much fun been packed into something so small.  I consider the PSP a clear step above the Game Boy Advance.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

rainbow_bright

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 03:59:29 AM »
Missa, you are a True gaming girl :)
The psp does seem interesting, with all these emulators. But, I think I will buy a Gt instead :)

MissaFX

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 04:10:49 AM »
Quote from: rainbow_bright
Missa, you are a True gaming girl :)

Yes I am. :mrgreen:

I'll tell ya something though, those groups of gaming girls who play FPS games and at the same time glam out make me wanna break something.  They belong in the 9th level of hell with a throng of Neo Pets chewing at their toes.  It's some kind of evil incarnation brough on by a hot night in a small closet between a snooty cheerleader and a whole LAN party of Halo-heads.

My idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

rainbow_bright

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 04:15:29 AM »
I don't know any of these glamorama fps girls, but the thought scares me :(
Don't let them get me!!!!!!!

Turbo D

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 05:09:50 AM »
My idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.

8) 8) 8)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 05:12:31 AM »
I'm really not interested in anything that came after the 16 bit era (make that, not interested in the slightest). I played an x box once lol. I have never played a ps3, wii or 360 and don't plan too! Gaming for me, went totally downhill after the 16 bit era. I just don't like 3d games.

Anyone share my feelings for what came after 16 bit? It seems , that 2d gaming is very much a thing of the past. But, what do I know? I never go into gaming shops, never pick up any games magazines..I'm totally out of the loop , with regards to anything that came after the Playstation.

I only know what's new because of what my friends buy. My newest system is a DS, then GC, then GBA, DC, NGP, WS, SS, PS, DUO R...

What doesn't make any sense though is that you seem to say you love 2D, yet don't go past 16-bit. Without question some of the best 2D games are from the "3D era" on Playstation and Saturn. Also, the GBA and DS are *stuffed* with good 2D games.

I play almost nothing 3D, but I certainly play stuff post 16-bit.

Jump Super Stars (DS)
Jump Ultimate Stars (DS)
Super Robot Wars D and J (GBA)
Super Robot Wars W (DS)
Hokoto no Ken, Firepro Returns, KOF 2001-2003, and XI (PS2)

The DC has Street Fighter 3, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, MvC2, Mars Matrix, and a bunch of polygonal yet 2D gameplay shooters like Ikaruga, Border Down, etc.

Then there are the Saturn and PS era 2D titles like Guardian Heroes, a ton of Capcom and SNK fighting stuff, Princess Crown, DoDanPatchi, Soukyugurentai, Death Tank Zwei, Gundam: The Battle Master, Super Robot Wars Alpha...

For me, personally, I'd say that most of the best 2D stuff is, in fact, from the 32-bit era. You just have to look a little harder.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 05:47:52 AM »
The only modern systems I care for are PS2, GC, Dreamcast and Xbox 360. Everything else modern can blow me.

rainbow_bright

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 06:04:09 AM »

I only know what's new because of what my friends buy. My newest system is a DS, then GC, then GBA, DC, NGP, WS, SS, PS, DUO R...

What doesn't make any sense though is that you seem to say you love 2D, yet don't go past 16-bit. Without question some of the best 2D games are from the "3D era" on Playstation and Saturn. Also, the GBA and DS are *stuffed* with good 2D games.

I play almost nothing 3D, but I certainly play stuff post 16-bit.

Jump Super Stars (DS)
Jump Ultimate Stars (DS)
Super Robot Wars D and J (GBA)
Super Robot Wars W (DS)
Hokoto no Ken, Firepro Returns, KOF 2001-2003, and XI (PS2)

The DC has Street Fighter 3, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, MvC2, Mars Matrix, and a bunch of polygonal yet 2D gameplay shooters like Ikaruga, Border Down, etc.

Then there are the Saturn and PS era 2D titles like Guardian Heroes, a ton of Capcom and SNK fighting stuff, Princess Crown, DoDanPatchi, Soukyugurentai, Death Tank Zwei, Gundam: The Battle Master, Super Robot Wars Alpha...

For me, personally, I'd say that most of the best 2D stuff is, in fact, from the 32-bit era. You just have to look a little harder.

Good point about the Playstation and saturn :) Maybe one day I will get curious and have a look. Until late last year, I hadn't played games for years. Probably since I was 16. And even then, I didn't have my beloved Pc engine (an accident had killed it). Games are expensive, how much is a new title for the ds for instance? or the playstation three or wii or,whatever? When I can get so much pleasure out of Pc engine or Megadrive, why bother buying a new really expensive system.

:) I hope I didn't come across as some old school hardcore gamer or something, cause thats not who I am at all. I just wondered if anyone else liked older games better. After all, this is a pc engine site :)

termis

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 06:15:43 AM »
I'm somewhat interested in the 360, but there are tons of games that I've yet to play on the 3 systems that I have hooked up to my TV - the Duo, Saturn & the Dreamcast.  Those will keep me busy for years.... by the time I get around to the 360, it'll probably be a generation or two old.   :?