Author Topic: what was EGM's 1989 Game of the Year: Legendary Axe or Ghouls 'n Ghosts ?  (Read 3303 times)

handygrafx

Re: what was EGM's 1989 Game of the Year: Legendary Axe or Ghouls 'n Ghosts ?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 09:42:24 AM »
If those dudes played the supergrafx version of ghouls n' ghosts, they would flip. It totally owns the genny!

in most areas of graphics, yes, but not in music/audio, where Genesis had a big advantage.

Are you serious? The Genesis GnG sounds f*cking awful.

yes I am serious.

Anyone that knows Genesis Ghouls 'n Ghosts well, knows the music was outstanding.  read the EGM review of it I posted.

Like many of the other early (1988, 1989, 1990) Japanese-developed MD/Genesis games, GnG had exellent sound, especially considering the Genesis audio hardware, while decent, wasn't as good as that of the SNES or later systems.   Genesis audio was however without a doubt, better than that of the PC-Engine (without CD-ROM of course) and better than that of the SuperGrafx which had the same 6-channel sound chip as the PCE.

if you listen to SuperGrafx Ghouls 'N Ghosts music, it indeed sounds worse than the Genesis version.

you can disagree with me all you want and say you 'prefer' the SuperGrafx music/audio more, which is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but technically, the Genesis 10-channel audio hardware allowed for higher-quality music/audio than PCE or SGX.   To me, this is very apparent when comparing GnG on Gen vs SGX.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:45:14 AM by handygrafx »

MissaFX

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 09:44:17 AM »
If those dudes played the supergrafx version of ghouls n' ghosts, they would flip. It totally owns the genny!

Yeah, I was about to say something about that.  I was reading the review going, wow I never thought they would give a super grafx title such an award...oh genesis...

The super grafx version totally pwns.  It feels just like the arcade and sounds like it too.  Kicks my bum like the arcade version too.  I was never good at that game.  I usually die because some enemy spawns right where I am standing and I am already throwing weapons to kill another enemy or three.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

handygrafx

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »
just to show you how much the graphics of SUPERGRAFX Ghouls 'n Ghosts was downgraded from the arcade:

ARC - 1988

video:

SGX - 1990

video:

GEN - 1989

video:

note all the missing detail -  I could show you many more comparisons

also, the back-cover of X68000 version

snippet of a short review

The x68000 version of Ghouls'n'Ghosts is supposed to be so good as to literally eclipse the Mega Drive and the SuperGrafx versions. Everything apparently looks and feels arcade perfect from the color palette to the graphical definition of the sprites and the backgrounds.

http://www.illusionware.it/x68000/gng-x68.htm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:27:53 PM by handygrafx »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 10:22:06 AM »
Genesis audio was however without a doubt, better than that of the PC-Engine (without CD-ROM of course) and better than that of the SuperGrafx which had the same 6-channel sound chip as the PCE.

This is highly subjective, as not everyone thinks that FM is superior (there's also more to channels than highest number wins).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 10:29:16 AM »
Genesis audio was however without a doubt, better than that of the PC-Engine (without CD-ROM of course) and better than that of the SuperGrafx which had the same 6-channel sound chip as the PCE.

This is highly subjective, as not everyone thinks that FM is superior (there's also more to channels than highest number wins).

Yea,I was about to say,I don't really like the Genesis versions audio as much as the Supergrafx either. It sounds more tiny and busted. Graphically,I'm fine with both,but do like the Supergrafx more. It obviously had the edge there.
Yea,not arcade perfect,but really close at the time,and esp for the price of admission to get to play such a close port.

spenoza

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 10:31:29 AM »
The two sound systems use different means of representing audio. They cannot be directly compared easily and, ultimately, what sounds better ALWAYS comes down to opinion. In listening tests "lesser quality" audio often rates better to untrained ears because it's louder. People equate loudness with better. So really, opinion is everything. The Genesis isn't so much better as different.

And let me tell you, as the owner of a Genesis 2 model (VA 1.8), not all Genesis units sound the same. Mine happens to sound a lot like ass, whereas Joe Redifer's recordings from his unit at home sound great.

As usual, this is all a moot point.

you can disagree with me all you want and say you 'prefer' the SuperGrafx music/audio more, which is fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but technically, the Genesis 10-channel audio hardware allowed for higher-quality music/audio than PCE or SGX.   To me, this is very apparent when comparing GnG on Gen vs SGX.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

handygrafx

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 10:40:03 AM »
to me, the SuperGrafx GnG music sounded tinnier, even though it was clear. the Genesis audio sounded richer because of the FM Synth.    most people's opinions tend to favor the Genesis version's music.

the graphics of the SGX version were much better in most areas  (resolution, color, sprite size/detail, background detail). Although I've seen many regular PCE games with better use of color / more color, than SGX GnG.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 10:50:02 AM »
to me, the SuperGrafx GnG music sounded tinnier, even though it was clear. the Genesis audio sounded richer because of the FM Synth.    most people's opinions tend to favor the Genesis version's music.

the graphics of the SGX version were much better in most areas  (resolution, color, sprite size/detail, background detail). Although I've seen many regular PCE games with better use of color / more color, than SGX GnG.

You'll have to point these people out. I don't know anyone who likes the Genesis version audio more...

handygrafx

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »
okay, give me awhile, I'll dig up some opinions.

1.) 
The sound on this game was inferior to the Genesis version.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/turbo16/review/R78408.html

2.)
Superb conversion that out-does the much hailed Megadrive version. Lovely graphics are let down only a little by the sound

http://pcenginebible.roarvgm.com/HTML_Games/Ghouls_n_Ghosts.htm

3.)
E.Phoenix
Hey, everyone and there pet fish has played this game, so just know that this version is graphically slightly better than the Genesis version. The sound is not as good as the Genesis

http://www.gamezero.com/team-0/final_word/super_grafx/dai_makaimura.html

4.)
But there is definitely a jarring effect to see those awesome Daimakaimura graphics while jangly PC Engine tunes play in the background.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/showpost.php?s=963d6f4a61f52fe24258fb26e9e90cf9&p=946042&postcount=8

5.)
the MD daimakaimura is obviously the most weak console-port (if not counting the SMS G'n'G, but which wasn't that bad, regarded to its hardware) exept of the control (as joe described it) and the audio which is probably the best of all releases

6.)
The SG version sounds great on stage 1, but I think it loses it a little in the subsequent stages.

7.)
There was also a port to the Japan-only NEC Supergrafx, which plays pretty well, and looks pretty decent. But the colors are off, even compared to the Genesis version, and the music isn't too hot either.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/gng/gng2.htm

8.) 
Superb conversion that out-does the much hailed Megadrive version. Lovely graphics are let down only a little by the sound, but it’s a top game nonetheless.

SOUND: Great tunes, but sound could have been better.

http://pcenginebible.roarvgm.com/HTML_Games/Ghouls_n_Ghosts.htm

that for starters, I will find more.

p.s. I shall not start a war either, it's just that I was always under the impression it was widely accepted that the SuperGrafx version had better graphics but the Genesis version had better sound.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:12:07 PM by handygrafx »

nat

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »

You'll have to point these people out. I don't know anyone who likes the Genesis version audio more...

Yeah no kidding. Not to start a war or anything.... But I always thought, until this thread, it was the SGX version that had the widely accepted better sound.

Although I guess I'm fairly biased since I'm not a fan of the Genesis "sound" to begin with. That said, however, there are a few select Genesis soundtracks out there that are friggin' rule. Virtually all the Sonic games, for example.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
For me its stuff like Thunderforce 4,Streets of Rage 2,Shinobi 3,and Castlevania Bloodlines. To me those are great examples of the audio ability. Ghouls and Ghost on it however sounded like ass.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »
Blah blah blah.

Did the SuperGrafx version of GnG allow diagonals like the Genesis version does?  What I mean by that is if you are running in one direction or the other in the arcade and suddenly you press a diagonal motion, your character comes to a dead stop.  Very annoying.  This does not happen on the Genesis (though you can make it control like that if you want).  I much prefer the diagonals being on, makes the game MUCH more playable to me.  I recently went through the Genesis version on Professional a week or two ago, twice!  No cheats.  Beat Loki's ass.  Fantastic game that holds up great (and yes, I like the audio).

spenoza

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »
I would like to declare that I don't even like the arcade original music. The whole game is kinda fun, but mostly just too hard. Graphically, sure, it's fine. Musically, the tunes are just "meh".
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

handygrafx

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 01:52:57 PM »
Although the arcade audio is technically superior,  I perfer how the Genesis version sounds.   not unlike how the Genesis audio is technically superior to that of the SuperGrafx, some people prefer how the SuperGrafx sounds.

Tatsujin

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 02:07:53 PM »
beside the SGFX daimakaimura wasn't released at that time, you can't compare those two really. but it's a joke anyway, since the MD Daimakai could look such a lot better than it did. just watch the 2nd level, it's a sheer cheek what they did to the BGs. best grafx of the year my ass!
but in one thing i have to agree, the MD version brings the best BGM with.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^