Author Topic: what was EGM's 1989 Game of the Year: Legendary Axe or Ghouls 'n Ghosts ?  (Read 3309 times)

handygrafx

Re: what was EGM's 1989 Game of the Year: Legendary Axe or Ghouls 'n Ghosts ?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 02:22:41 PM »
there was an 11 month gap between the release on MD/Genesis and SGX.
August 1989 ---> July 1990

Tatsujin

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »
yeah..7 month too late for the goty 1989.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Tatsujin

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 02:44:41 PM »
i'm a huge makaimura fan (probably my most loved game-serie ever) and i own any japanese console releases of that serie (inc. any gaiden & spin offs etc.) up to now (beside the x68k version, which i'm still looking for in a good shape).

the MD daimakaimura is obviously the most weak console-port (if not counting the SMS G'n'G, but which wasn't that bad, regarded to its hardware) exept of the control (as joe described it) and the audio which is probably the best of all releases (beside of the c64 home computer tim follin SIDs).

the SGFX version is superior to the MD version, no doubts, but still about a half light year behind the arcade original. it shows a lot of details which wheren't included in the MD version, but never in the brilliance as the arcade did.

still i like to play both of the ports about the same, the one for the better audio/control the other for the amaizing grafx at that time.
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Joe Redifer

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 03:16:01 PM »
There are spots where the SG version definitely looks better than the Genesis version, but there are also a few spots where it looks worse (stage 3-1 for example).  I'm not sure why the far background layer in the Genesis version is cropped, or letterboxed below and above a certain point.  That's just weird.  I wish the Sega version was 8 meg.

The Genesis version is super easy on the hardest mode, but super fun as well!

handygrafx

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »
i'm a huge makaimura fan (probably my most loved game-serie ever) and i own any japanese console releases of that serie (inc. any gaiden & spin offs etc.) up to now (beside the x68k version, which i'm still looking for in a good shape).

the MD daimakaimura is obviously the most weak console-port (if not counting the SMS G'n'G, but which wasn't that bad, regarded to its hardware) exept of the control (as joe described it) and the audio which is probably the best of all releases (beside of the c64 home computer tim follin SIDs).

the SGFX version is superior to the MD version, no doubts, but still about a half light year behind the arcade original. it shows a lot of details which wheren't included in the MD version, but never in the brilliance as the arcade did.

still i like to play both of the ports about the same, the one for the better audio/control the other for the amaizing grafx at that time.

I shall add you to the list of people that think the MD/Genesis audio is better than that of the SGX  ^__^

There are spots where the SG version definitely looks better than the Genesis version, but there are also a few spots where it looks worse (stage 3-1 for example).  I'm not sure why the far background layer in the Genesis version is cropped, or letterboxed below and above a certain point.  That's just weird.  I wish the Sega version was 8 meg.

The Genesis version is super easy on the hardest mode, but super fun as well!

true, there are spots were even the Genesis version's graphics look better than the SGX version.  Those spots are few and far between however.

stage 3-1 is one example.   the way the background layers / parallax scrolling is done,  is different in the SGX version.   there's no seperation between the broken bridges and the distant blue towers.    in arcade and genesis these are seperated into different layers.

Arcade:
Genesis:
SuperGrafx:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 03:33:11 PM by handygrafx »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 03:32:20 PM »
Add me to that list as well.  The SG version sounds great on stage 1, but I think it loses it a little in the subsequent stages.

Tatsujin

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »
the biggest prob was, that sega did such a huge amount of inhouse ports of any arcade games at that time, so they couldn't go deep into each game details due to manpower weakness i guess. but everbody knows, the MD was much more capable of what it shows in the daimakaimura port.

@handy: feel free to do that ^__^
www.pcedaisakusen.net

handygrafx

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »
just think if Sega or Capcom did a 16-meg port in 1991, they could've come much closer to the arcade, even more so than the SuperGrafx.  since the SuperGrafx version didn't really take advantage of its color capabilities, a stronger Genesis port could've rivaled it in color.  also, the distant background in the SGX ver didnt have many colors at all, maybe just 8.  Genesis could've done more.

The X68000 version is a masterpiece though.  pixel for pixel the same as the arcade.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 05:01:23 PM »
just think if Sega or Capcom did a 16-meg port in 1991, they could've come much closer to the arcade, even more so than the SuperGrafx.  since the SuperGrafx version didn't really take advantage of its color capabilities, a stronger Genesis port could've rivaled it in color.  also, the distant background in the SGX ver didnt have many colors at all, maybe just 8.  Genesis could've done more.

Sounds pointless to me - of course the Genesis port could be better, but so could the SuperGrafx version.  Neither game pushed the hardware to the absolute limits.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »
I think if Capcom programmed a Genesis version, the audio would be ass.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »

Sounds pointless to me - of course the Genesis port could be better, but so could the SuperGrafx version.  Neither game pushed the hardware to the absolute limits.

This is the best post so far here. We never did see the Supergrafx pushed to the edge.We all know the Genesis port could have been better,given we have seen that system pushed to the extreme with  a few titles,but we can only speculate how awesome the game could be done on a 16-20 meg Hucard for Supergrafx again with a better understanding and know how of the system implemented.

awack

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
                 super grafx                             genesis                         

super grafx                              genesis

First part of level 3, this is one of the few areas in the genesis version that hold up well against the super grafx but still not on the same level in my opinion.

Through out the game game the super grafx version shows more color, more detail, better drawn tiles/background objects, and better effects such as your special attack, enemy deaths and the tree animation on the first level.

What i like about the genesis version is the level of difficulty, the super grafx GnG kicks my ass and you only have 3 continues, i also like sound better.

Turbo D

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2008, 06:20:12 PM »
The supergrafx version pwns the genny, period! Everyone knows it.

What i like about the genesis version is the level of difficulty, the super grafx GnG kicks my ass and you only have 3 continues

More continues are unlockable. Also difficulty is able to be adjusted. Its all done in an arcade like manner; very cool.

But they didn't, haha. The genny can never compare to the awesome color capabilities of the might pcengine! everyone knows it too. 512 vs 64.

oh ya, add me to the list of people who like supergrafx version sound better. Since when has a genny game had great sound? har har har

Joe Redifer

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »
Through out the game game the super grafx version shows ... better drawn tiles/background objects...

The purple wall in level 3-1 looks much too repetitive to me.  Too tiled.  I can't say the Genesis version never does that, but I hate it whenever repetitive tiles show up in ANY game.  It looks f*ckin' ugly.

As for the pics, why are you playing the Genesis version on PRACTICE?

More continues are unlockable. Also difficulty is able to be adjusted. Its all done in an arcade like manner; very cool.

You mean by inserting more tokens?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 06:41:17 PM by Joe Redifer »

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2008, 06:42:02 PM »
When it comes to music, the Genesis, seems to have more of an arcade sound from that era.  Alot of games sound like the Genny, but, I've always hated that sound(I guess that would be the FM that makes it so scratch, tinny, whatever sounding).

Anyways, something I'm curious about, is why EGM said that Legendary Axe has dual scrolling backgrounds in their review?  Are they saying it has paralax, or that some levels scroll vertically?  I know it doesn't have paralax, & I don't recall vertical levels, & frankly can't imagine them.  I know the 2nd game has vertical levels, but, not the first one.