Author Topic: what was EGM's 1989 Game of the Year: Legendary Axe or Ghouls 'n Ghosts ?  (Read 3294 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: what was EGM's 1989 Game of the Year: Legendary Axe or Ghouls 'n Ghosts ?
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »
Legendary Axe does scroll up and down, not just horizontally.  But I think that's a pretty lame excuse to say "dual scrolling"".  You'll find that quite often EGM (as well as ALL of the other mags) didn't know what the hell they were talking about (only when they said something that I personally disagreed with, of course).

Turbo D

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2008, 06:47:03 PM »
More continues are unlockable. Also difficulty is able to be adjusted. Its all done in an arcade like manner; very cool.

You mean by inserting more tokens?

It looks like an arcade boot menu or something dude. Definitely check it out. You can find all the cheats at t2k ( thanks OD  8) )

Joe Redifer

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2008, 06:49:10 PM »
Well f*ck yeah!  An arcade-like boot menu makes ANY game 1000x better!  I am setting my Genesis on fire now and buying every SuperGrafx copy in the world!  ;)

Kitsunexus

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »
f*ck this audio debate shit. I will lay it down for you.

TG-16: Sounds like a Sega Master System with better drums.

Genesis: Sounds like a DX7 and a telephone having sex.

They both suck on the audio front. THE END.

awack

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2008, 06:50:32 PM »
More continues are unlockable. Also difficulty is able to be adjusted. Its all done in an arcade like manner; very cool.

True, I'm going mostly by memories of 1991 when i had a super grafx with GnG, grandzort, 1941 and aldynes, i didn't know of any codes back then for GnG, i could never beat grandzort or GnG, i no longer own the super grafx or any of the games because my brother took them and sold them to a used video game store many years ago....MOTHA.....f*ckA!

Turbo D

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »
Well f*ck yeah!  An arcade-like boot menu makes ANY game 1000x better!  I am setting my Genesis on fire now and buying every SuperGrafx copy in the world!  ;)

Now yer talkin'  :dance:  :lol:

f*ck this audio debate shit. I will lay it down for you.

TG-16: Sounds like a Sega Master System with better drums.

Genesis: Sounds like a DX7 and a telephone having sex.

They both suck on the audio front. THE END.

TurboGrafx has bad-ass sound. I could listen to the airzonk soundtrack all day!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2008, 06:54:02 PM »
Air Zonk?  It's alright I guess, but I much prefer how Legendary Axe 2 sounds.  I find the drums in Air Zonk very "fatiguing" for lack of better term, plus the melodies aren't that great.  Oh, Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu kicks its ass as well, as does Dragon's Curse and Devil's Crush!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2008, 06:59:06 PM »
Ehh both systems could do great audio,depending on who was doing the actual programming. Its a game by game basis really.

awack

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2008, 07:00:58 PM »
         Joe Redifer
As for the pics, why are you playing the Genesis version on PRACTICE?

Damnit you got me, i forgot to cut that out of the picture :oops:

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2008, 07:02:56 PM »
Well,he was only going for pics it would seem,might as well make it easy going.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »
I wish the Genesis version didn't default to PRACTICE like that.  It's easy enough as it is.

handygrafx

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2008, 07:10:15 PM »
I don't recall any parallax scrolling in Legendary Axe, though it's been about 5-6 years since I've played it.

alot of nonsense got printed in EGM even during their 'glory days'.

awack

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »
Yea, I'm pretty sure there is no parallax scrolling in Legendary Axe.

handygrafx

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »
                 super grafx                             genesis                         

super grafx                              genesis

First part of level 3, this is one of the few areas in the genesis version that hold up well against the super grafx but still not on the same level in my opinion.

Through out the game game the super grafx version shows more color, more detail, better drawn tiles/background objects, and better effects such as your special attack, enemy deaths and the tree animation on the first level.

What i like about the genesis version is the level of difficulty, the super grafx GnG kicks my ass and you only have 3 continues, i also like sound better.

ramble time ^__^  (blah blah blah blah)

SuperGrafx indeed has better detail in almost every place.   the tiles are better. there's around twice the number of colors on screen (although still only about 1/3 of the arcade).   I know for certain that SuperGrafx isn't using anywhere near the full amount of colors it can display. around 74 or so, compared to the just under 600 that it can do (like the PCE).    the Genesis version uses about ~34 colors. about half what it can do.  The arcade uses 200 or more colors on screen.  where am I getting those figures?
http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/16bitArcadeComp.htm   if the arcade only uses 200 colors (even slightly more) that's still a small fraction of  the max CPS1 can do: 2048 (maybe 4096) from a palette of 65,536.

The SuperGrafx uses most of the original arcade artwork, although significantly downgraded, at least most of its there. unlike the Genesis version which is missing most of the background details.  I love the SuperGrafx version, it was certainly the closest home port from 1990 until 1994 when the arcade-exact X68000 version came along. but 99.999% of us didnt get to play that. so we had to wait another 4 years until the PS1 and Saturn versions came out in 1998. even then, a tiny percentage of gamers would've imported Capcom Generation 2.  so, we' have to wait another 5-6 years until Capcom Classics Collection came out on PS2 and Xbox.  by then, many of us had played it on MAME. but it was still great to have a legit port to play at home.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2008, 07:49:27 PM »
I just played through the "arcade" version on my Saturn.  According to those screenshots posted above, the Genesis version looks MUCH closer to the arcade than the SuperGrafx for level 3-1.  The only exception are the red lines on the wall in the second pic.  But the arcade had black for the BG on the second pic, just like the Genesis version, as well as the blue/grey BG (not purple) in the first pic.  The SG version seems to have the wrong colors throughout.  It seems too dark.  Usually that's the problem with the Genesis.  Maybe Sega made the SG version?   :D