Author Topic: what was EGM's 1989 Game of the Year: Legendary Axe or Ghouls 'n Ghosts ?  (Read 3295 times)

Tatsujin

Re: what was EGM's 1989 Game of the Year: Legendary Axe or Ghouls 'n Ghosts ?
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2008, 02:56:41 PM »
sorry, but pure classec!

@11.04

:-" ~♪
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Turbo D

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2008, 12:10:43 AM »
yes, its a true classic. I love everything about it, even the drums!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »
Order of the Griffon or Shockman has the best Turbo Music ever!

Air Zonk is excellent as well!!

Joe Redifer?  What would you consider the best Turbo Chip music ever?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2008, 01:40:12 PM »
I really don't think I could pick an absolute favorite (on any system, for that matter), but I just know that Air Zonk ranks below the others I mentioned above for me.

Turbo D

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2008, 02:42:41 PM »
Have you dudes seen airRaids ghouls n ghosts comparison?

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140907

Black Tiger

« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »
From what I've read of various people's Ghouls 'N Ghosts MD/SGX/Arcade comments online, it seems that (as in other PCE vs MD audio discussions/debates) people who trash the SGX Daimakaimura sound either never played it, never really listened/compared or just outright made up their mind beforehand based on preconceived notions about PCE sound in general.

AirRaidX summed up this kind of thinking best with this comment-

the CPS arcade version is unquestionably TECHNICALLY the best.

I personally PREFER / LIKE / ENJOY the Genesis music the most, even though it's technically inferior to the arcade.

the Super Grafx music is shit because the audio chip is the same as in the original PC-Engine/TurboGrafx, and therefore worse than the Arcade and Genesis.

But if you actually listen to the music of each version together, it turns out that the SuperGrafx version's sound, as well as the actual music, is very similar to the CPS FM sound/music(especially when compared to the Genesis sound/music).

So those who think that the SGX port's sound is garbage should also hate the arcade sound too.

I think that all 3 are well done and ranking them all depends on personal taste, but that none are extremely superior to any other. Personally, some of the sounds of the Genesis version literally hurt my ears, even on a model 1 system.

As for the visuals, I believe that the Genesis version, like its Strider port, had (almost?)all of the graphics completely redrawn. The SuperGrafx version looks more like the arcade because it actually uses a fair bit of the arcade artwork(mainly the sprites?).

I think that the SuperGrafx version, although still a decent game, is a pretty sloppy port visually. Not simply because 'it could always be done better', but because it actually looks like the developer didn't put much effort into it.

Much of the SGX port's graphics look like they were transfered over without being touched up and overall, some very poor choices in color were used. Its actually very similar to the Arcade CD Strider in this way. But its more of a mixed bag with the SGX GnG visuals, which are randomly great and not-so-good/peculiar looking in places, often hit and miss within the same screen.

Malducci is probably right about the 8 color thing, because the SuperGrafx version looks like its running on palette and/or colors-on-screen challenged hardware, which the SuperGrafx/PC Engine is not.

Although the Genesis version's visuals have been simplified, like the Genesis Strider port the colors are either more arcade faithful or simply better/more complimentary overall. I would have preferred more consistant visuals with the SGX version.

I prefer the overall gameplay of the Genesis version simply because of the less cheap (or more arcade-unfaithful to the AirRaidX level of obsessors :wink:) difficulty(even the japanese version).

I also like being able to play GnG in my Nomad and the more reasonable "difficulty" level increases it's value here.

I seem to have the opposite view of the game than the reputation its carried over the years, since I find the visuals overrated and the sound underrated. :P

As for Air Zonk's music, I think that many people get hooked by the unique sound and the tecnical level of the music using so many samples so well. The actual music itself certainly isn't the best on Turbo/PCE, but its still very good overall and has quantity in its favor too.

I also hate picking favorites, but I'd probably rate Dungeon Explorer as either the best or my favorite chip tunes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:55:34 PM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Turbo D

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2008, 02:59:44 PM »
so thats where you got your signature!  :)

nat

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »
Gotta love good ol' AirRaidX.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »
I think AirRaidX has made a career out of comparing different versions of Ghouls 'n Ghosts.  I notice that whenever he has footage of the SG version, it's always running in Magic Engine.  I think since he owns the PCB he is trying to defend/justify his purchase or something.  There certainly isn't anything wrong with owning an arcade, and it doesn't need to be justified as the best!

As for the audio, since I am mostly used to the Genesis version, the arcade does sound a little goofy to me, especially in level 2.  God I hate that music, but it is *almost* bearable on the Genesis.  Many of the other levels sound really close to the Genesis with a few changes in percussion and/or background instruments.  Level 1 is really different, though.  Though certainly not a deal breaker on any system, I think the Genesis has the best sound effects.  Not really an issue, though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:24:13 PM by Joe Redifer »

malducci

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2008, 01:19:27 AM »
You guys do know that handygrafx is AirRaidX, right? :-s

nat

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2008, 01:47:30 AM »
You guys do know that handygrafx is AirRaidX, right? :-s

Are you serious?

If you are then that explains multitudes of things.

ceti alpha

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2008, 04:34:02 AM »
I love how ST:V got Worst Film of the Year Award.  :clap: It was pretty bad. I remember seeing it in the theater when it came out and being quite puzzled afterwards at what I just witnessed. Though it's not as bad a the last couple of TNG movies.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2008, 04:43:12 AM »
I thought Star Trek V was the worst of the Trek movies for a long time.

I revisited it again ten years after it's release and realized it really wasn't so bad. It's just a good ol' fashioned Star Trek adventure, much like any of the episodes in the TV series. I still watch it today and feel the same way and I can't really remember why I didn't like it to begin with. Retrospect has a way of changing things.

For me, the most unenjoyable of all the movies is The Voyage Home. It's just so un-Star Trek-like. I think that's why it was the most popular. I watch Star Trek to see these guys (excuse the cliche) "explore brave new worlds" not putz around on present-day Earth. If I wanted to see that I could just go watch a Priceline commercial. The best part of TVH was the last segment where Kirk & Co. is on trial and he gets demoted, then gets another ship. If only the rest of the movie had been that epic.

Odonadon

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2008, 04:45:55 AM »
I love how ST:V got Worst Film of the Year Award.  :clap: It was pretty bad. I remember seeing it in the theater when it came out and being quite puzzled afterwards at what I just witnessed. Though it's not as bad a the last couple of TNG movies.

Agreed, I used to hate ST:V, but when compared to the latest couple movies, it ain't bad :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

ceti alpha

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2008, 05:10:47 AM »
I thought Star Trek V was the worst of the Trek movies for a long time.

I revisited it again ten years after it's release and realized it really wasn't so bad. It's just a good ol' fashioned Star Trek adventure, much like any of the episodes in the TV series. I still watch it today and feel the same way and I can't really remember why I didn't like it to begin with. Retrospect has a way of changing things.

For me, the most unenjoyable of all the movies is The Voyage Home. It's just so un-Star Trek-like. I think that's why it was the most popular. I watch Star Trek to see these guys (excuse the cliche) "explore brave new worlds" not putz around on present-day Earth. If I wanted to see that I could just go watch a Priceline commercial. The best part of TVH was the last segment where Kirk & Co. is on trial and he gets demoted, then gets another ship. If only the rest of the movie had been that epic.

Yeah, STV reminds me of a comic book rendition of Star Trek. While watching it I can almost imagine turning the pages of the comic as the scenes change.  :)

As for TVH, it really was a great movie. It was the only ST film that didn't require the viewer to be a fan. Even though it was the third installment of the "Genesis Trilogy" you didn't need to have seen any of those other films or the television series episodes for that matter. The scene where they are in the shuttle on their way to their new ship was awesome. I remember being on the edge of my seat as they approached the Excelsior. Though I loved that the crew got another Constitution Refit, it would have been neat if the Excelsior was renamed as the Enterprise. The comics of the day (in between the release of STIII and IV) had the crew serving on the Excelsior.

I couldn't help but post that article on Trekweb to see what people had to say about EGM's opinion.  :mrgreen:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"