Author Topic: what was EGM's 1989 Game of the Year: Legendary Axe or Ghouls 'n Ghosts ?  (Read 3285 times)

nat

Re: what was EGM's 1989 Game of the Year: Legendary Axe or Ghouls 'n Ghosts ?
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2008, 05:46:07 AM »
As for TVH, it really was a great movie. It was the only ST film that didn't require the viewer to be a fan. Even though it was the third installment of the "Genesis Trilogy" you didn't need to have seen any of those other films or the television series episodes for that matter.

But I am a fan, so that point is lost on me.

I couldn't help but post that article on Trekweb to see what people had to say about EGM's opinion.  :mrgreen:

I was on other earlier today but didn't catch that. I'll have to go check it out and see what the verdict is.

ceti alpha

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2008, 06:07:09 AM »
But I am a fan, so that point is lost on me.

Oh, I was just saying that it was really the only film that appealed to fans and non-fans alike. Consequently, it was the highest grossing Trek movie, though I forget if First Contact surpassed TVH.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »
The Motion Picture was the highest-grossing film at $139,000,000 worldwide.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 06:16:09 AM by nat »

spenoza

« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2008, 06:22:46 AM »
"The death of Gorkon is slow and boring. No, wait, it picks up a bit."

Somehow this comment fell out of my mouth while introducing a Norwegian friend to the soundtrack to Star Trek VI. The name of the track in question was... The Death of Gorkon.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

ceti alpha

« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2008, 06:55:50 AM »
The Motion Picture was the highest-grossing film at $139,000,000 worldwide.

Cool. I have a warm place in my heart for that film. I know it has flaws (i.e. what seems like hours and hours of shots of Sulu gazing at the view screen as the Enterprise cruises through V'ger.), but it's a neat take on the Trek universe. nonetheless.

I guess TVH was the highest grossing Trek film for just the USA Box Office.

nat

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2008, 07:12:25 AM »
TMP is my favorite picture in the series. It's a timeless classic.

Sinistron

« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2008, 08:21:42 AM »
Not to sway this ebbing thread back on topic so sternly- but how many here actually agree with EGM's assessment that Genesis Ghouls 'n Ghosts is stronger than Legendary Axe?

Taking into consideration that Legendary Axe is a pc-engine original, and that it's a 2-meg cart on what is arguably an 8-bit machine- I'd have to disagree with EGM.  Plus Ghouls 'n Ghosts is heavily diluted from it's arcade father.  I think Axe has better gameplay, better music, and a more colorful, lush, and original looking graphic design.  It's also stood the test of time better than most games of the era.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

handygrafx

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2008, 09:12:20 AM »
yes indeed, I am AirRaid.

HandyGrafx was a more suitable name. I choose it because it was one of the rumored codenames for TurboExpress
along with GameTank.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 09:32:06 AM by handygrafx »

guyjin

« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »
Not to sway this ebbing thread back on topic so sternly- but how many here actually agree with EGM's assessment that Genesis Ghouls 'n Ghosts is stronger than Legendary Axe?

Sort of. I think something like a 'game of the year' should go to something new and original, not a port of an arcade game that's a year old. (regardless of how accurate it is)
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

handygrafx

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2008, 09:35:10 AM »

Sort of. I think something like a 'game of the year' should go to something new and original, not a port of an arcade game that's a year old. (regardless of how accurate it is)

I agree.  although in 1989 there weren't many great games besides Ghouls n Ghosts (an arcade translation) and Legendary Axe (an original game)  that weren't arcade games.    I think the next games in line should've been TurboGrafx R-Type or Genesis Golden Axe, which again, were both arcade translations.  it's pretty hard to get away from arcade games back then.  Legendary Axe was the highest-honored game that wasn't an arcade game. it won VG&CE best game of the year.

runinruder

« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2008, 10:20:27 AM »
I think VG&CE made the right call when they gave Axe Game of the Year.  IIRC, they gave Honorable Mentions to Thunder Force II and Blazing Lazers, which are two other fantastic games that I'd also rank above GNG. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »
Arrggg!!  I missed the Star Trek conversation.  Oh well.  I like how the evil butler/manservant from Titanic is the Abraham Lincoln-esque Klingon in ST6.

esteban

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2008, 12:10:47 PM »
You guys do know that handygrafx is AirRaidX, right? :-s

Are you serious?

If you are then that explains multitudes of things.
Holy crap, no way!

Handygrafx, I sent you a PM a day or two ago...
  |    | 

ceti alpha

« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »
I like how the evil butler/manservant from Titanic is the Abraham Lincoln-esque Klingon in ST6.

Cool. David Warner is his name. He was also in STV as the human ambassador on Nimbus III. He's quite a good actor. I haven't seen Titanic yet, so I can't comment on his performance. heh.

spenoza

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »
A Japanese friend made me sit through Titanic while she, among other things, showered. I swore I would never see the movie. In retrospect, everything about the movie was cool except the two lead characters.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c