Author Topic: BANG FOR THE BUCK  (Read 901 times)

Keranu

Re: BANG FOR THE BUCK
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »
J.J. and Jeff, Shape Shifter, Sapphire.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »
Lords of Thunder
Tengai Makyou Manjimaru & Kabukiden
Ys I & II + III PCE
SFIICE
Dungeon Explorer
Dungeon Explorer II PCE
Monster Lair
Devil's & Alien Crush
Neo Metal Fantasy
Dragon's Curse
Dynastic Hero PCE
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 05:04:50 PM »

I hope that you're joking, since Sapphire will cost more than the combined cost of every other good PCE shmup.  Even one of the bootleg copies is much less of a bargain than Lords of Thunder, Gunhed, Super Star Soldier, Final Soldier, etc.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sinistron

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 01:34:05 AM »
I've always wanted Shape Shifter- but I've read such conflicting reports.  Graphics look great- and I love that kind of Dragon's Cursey quest game- but I've heard so much about horrible controls.  What say the posters on this thread?

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

runinruder

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 01:51:41 AM »

I've always wanted Shape Shifter- but I've read such conflicting reports.  Graphics look great- and I love that kind of Dragon's Cursey quest game- but I've heard so much about horrible controls.  What say the posters on this thread?

Excellent game.  Here's my review.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

nat

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 02:44:06 AM »
Oh, the controls aren't that bad. There is a definite "learning" process figuring out how to control the cat but it's really quite smooth once you've got it down.

I pretty much concur completely with runinruder.

Although if you get the game, beware. It totally wiped out my save memory without asking. I had a decade's worth of high scores that just disappeared into oblivion. Shortly after another member here complained the same thing happened to him.

The best thing to do is use a Ten No Koe bank memory card and isolate Shape Shifter's save file to it's own bank. That way, the only damage it can do is to it's own.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 06:51:33 AM »

I agree with runinruder's review - it's a pretty darn good platformer, once you get used to the controls.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sinistron

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 07:24:42 AM »
Moving that puppy high up on the wish list.  Just ordered two cheap hucards- mostly to complete my Taito platformers section- Rastan Saga II and Ninja Warriors.  I'm not expecting much- though I've seen on other threads that Esteban is loving that Rastan.

King_Vidiot

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 07:36:17 AM »
Is Rastan Saga II a port of Nastar Warrior?

spenoza

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 08:01:27 AM »
Rastan Saga II, IMO, is crap in all forms. It just feels... I dunno... crappy.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Sinistron

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 08:15:14 AM »
I'm expecting total crap on a stick so that I won't feel disappointed.  Ninja Warriors looks rather shitty as well.

nat

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 08:55:26 AM »
I remember the Turbo version of Rastan Saga II to look unbelievably bad. I just remember not being able to believe my eyes the one time I played it.

That was many years ago though.

D-Lite

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 09:37:48 AM »
I'm expecting total crap on a stick so that I won't feel disappointed.  Ninja Warriors looks rather shitty as well.
Ninja Warriors is decent.  Haven't spent too much time with it yet, but it's playable.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com

esteban

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 10:17:06 AM »
I'm not expecting much- though I've seen on other threads that Esteban is loving that Rastan.
Yeah, it's a stinky game, but, you know what? I've had a lot a fun with it. I don't know... each time I play it I want to get farther and farther.

A long time ago I wrote about how "special" Rastan Saga II was. I forget most of the things I said, but I'll never forget how satisfying it felt to kill opponents and have them POP! like balloons. Truly.

This is the sort of game that I'd actually watch a video of (like Athena for NES), because I am so curious about what the final stage(s) look like.

And I didn't bring up Athena randomly -- for it is yet another game in which your opponents POP! like balloons.

|    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 12:17:13 PM »
Just ordered two cheap hucards- mostly to complete my Taito platformers section...

You have a "Taito platformers section"?  :-s
I don't know why I find it so funny, but I just got a really strange mental picture of your organizational method:

"Last Alert?  No, you nincompoop! That's under 'B' for 'Bad Voice Acting.'"

"Icom Simulations?  They're over in the West Wing."

"Of course Cosmic Fantasy isn't with the RPGs!  It's in the Bankrupt Game Company section under Working Designs!"
 :)