Author Topic: North America Turbo Duo or Japanese Duo R/RX?  (Read 640 times)

ceti alpha

North America Turbo Duo or Japanese Duo R/RX?
« on: January 10, 2008, 03:13:30 AM »
OK, I know people have some opinions on this so I'd just like to hear them all.  :) I have a NA Turbo Duo and, of course, it has the lovely sound issue. I bought the Turbo Duo because it was THE system I always wanted; however, some people have said here that it's just better to buy the Duo RX because it doesn't seem to have the same issues as the TD.

Anyway, I was just wondering what people advise here. Should I fix my TD audio issue and soup it up with S-Video and a region mod or just invest in a Duo RX? I guess I could just own both in the end. heh. I'll be honest and just say now that I love the North American Duo, crappy game artwork and all.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:57:56 AM by ceti alpha »

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

Re: North America Turbo Duo or Japanese Duo R/RX?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:19:41 AM »
I love the American Duos too personally, since you've already got it you might as well fix the sound issue. That's what I would do.

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:33:46 AM »
I'd say fix it up and soup up the audio. American Duos rock!  8)

termis

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:43:04 AM »
If you were starting out from scratch, I'd say buy a JP system and mod it, but since you already have a US Duo, no real point in getting another R/X IMO.

Just get it modded & get the sound issue worked out at the same time, and you have no reason to plunk down more money for a Japanese system as far as playability goes. 

If you have your own anal reasons -- you really want a white Duo, or the latest Duo version (RX) with 6 button controller, or whatever -- then do what floats your boat! (though I'd say you STILL should get it modded to get the full compatibility of both regions.)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:05:46 AM »
If I were you, I'd fix what I have before buying another Duo.  It's the bestest 'cause it'll never yellow like a R/RX can, it lacks the ghey Barney coloring, and it's Turbo Powered!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:15:13 AM »
If I were you, I'd fix what I have before buying another Duo.  It's the bestest 'cause it'll never yellow like a R/RX can, it lacks the ghey Barney coloring, and it's Turbo Powered!

hehe. Turbo Power vs. Blast Processing. Are there any technical specs showing which is more powerful.  :P

I forgot about the yellowing factor. I've been looking around for an original PCE just because I would love to own one. Their so small!!  :D But so many of them have yellowed and/or also seem like they are pealing - like the owner tried to bleach out the yellowing or something...idk...just looks strange. Maybe the Coregrafx II is the way to go in that regard.

MissaFX

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 12:11:15 PM »
Quote from: ceti alpha
I forgot about the yellowing factor. I've been looking around for an original PCE just because I would love to own one. Their so small!!  :D But so many of them have yellowed and/or also seem like they are pealing - like the owner tried to bleach out the yellowing or something...idk...just looks strange. Maybe the Coregrafx II is the way to go in that regard.

The color issue is one reason I purchased a Core Grafx II over a PC-Engine.  The small size of the Core Grafx II (or any of those small box models) is the other reason I wanted one as I can easly pack it up and everything to go with it in a small case and take it to hotels or family when I stay over.  I'm also going to take it over to my ex-motherinlaw's house as she has 3 adopted children, who I sometimes help watch.  2 Years ago when the oldest girl was 6, I got her a "Gibbi".  It's a toy that looks somewhat like Pikachu and it has a video and audio out cable.  It is commanded through a voice interface and it has games and a "pet hospital" type area, a Gibbi dress-up area, etc.  Anyways, I plan on letting her try out the Core Grafx II once it arrives and if she likes it, I am going to buy her a Onestation with 99 NES games.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:33:28 PM »
Fixing the US Duo will cost about as much as buying a Duo R...but then you'd have a busted Duo laying around.

In your situation I'd go with whatever you think looks cooler.

Back in the day I *really* wanted a Duo R when they first came out, but they were $500-600 and I already had the US system (which was only $300, with games even). At the time it made no sense to buy a Duo R.

Fast forward to a few years ago...I bought a busted Duo R for $60, fixed it for free, and sold the US a year later for god knows what. Probably almost triple that. It had no sound issues though.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
hehe. Turbo Power vs. Blast Processing. Are there any technical specs showing which is more powerful. 

Well duh! Blast Processing isn't even real!  Nintendo proved that! So of course Turbo Power wins HANDS DOWN!!!   :D

As far as which to buy- Well I am in a somewhat similar situation:  I have a US Duo with some sound issues, So I just bought a PCE DuoR because it was the least expensive.

With your US Duo you can play US Turbo Chips
And with your Japanese Duo you can play US CD/ US SCD/ JP HuCard/ JP CD/ JP SCD

So your pretty much covered.

If you go the US Duo rout again, you would need to pick up an adapter to play JP HuCards, assuming you do NOT have a HuCard converter to play JP games =)

Get the Duo R, it looks super awesome!!

nat

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 12:58:30 PM »
It had no sound issues though.

Still doesn't.  :D

WoodyXP

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 03:11:19 PM »
Stick with what you have.  Having a NA DUO all modded out will be uber pimp and you'll still have
your phone jack and drive lock.  8)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 03:26:10 PM »
It had no sound issues though.

Still doesn't.  :D

Cool! I was worried it would crap out the day after you got it.

TR0N

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 04:46:32 PM »
Stick with turbo-duo since you have gone through all that trouble own one.

Then send it to d-lite to have it modded etc.

If he can't fix it then i'd replace it with a duo-r or rx.

Still it never hurts to own an extra pce just for any kind of situation  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 04:48:22 PM by TRON »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ceti alpha

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 01:53:02 AM »
Stick with turbo-duo since you have gone through all that trouble own one.

Then send it to d-lite to have it modded etc.

If he can't fix it then i'd replace it with a duo-r or rx.

Still it never hurts to own an extra pce just for any kind of situation  Wink

Yeah, I should really take a number for D-Lite's Pimp My Turbo lineup.   :) And having another PCE around for emergencies sounds like a good idea as well.

D-Lite

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 04:05:25 AM »
I love the sleekness of the US Duo, but honestly you put a couple of purple LEDs in the DuoR and it looks like teh sex.

Also, as far as I can tell, the RX shell doesn't yellow.  It's different in shade and composition compared to the R.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
http://www.multimods.com