Author Topic: Golden Axe CD  (Read 1499 times)

nat

Golden Axe CD
« on: January 18, 2008, 06:30:27 AM »
So I got the CD port yesterday.

I just thought I'd post a few comments on one of the most often-panned arcade ports on the system (alongside Altered Beast) seeing as how I played through a good majority of the game on my first try. Unlike Altered Beast, which IMHO is unjustly criticized because of it's difficulty, GA doesn't fare so well.

First, the good. The music is great. Awesome. I love it. I challenge anyone to find any shortcomings in this category. The game also has cinemas and intros unique to this port. They remind me quite a bit in style of the Valis III cinemas, and it's no small wonder seeing as how they were done by the same group. They are of good quality, I don't know, maybe even better than the Valis III cinemas. The title screen. Looks really nice, pretty much like the Genesis version. Yeah I know it's a weird thing to comment on, but I'm really grapsing at anything here. Up until this point you think the game is gonna be awesome. You've seen the intro cinema, you've seen the title screen, heard the music... What could possibly be so bad?

Well, let's get into it. Let's start with the in-game graphics. I'd heard rumors the graphics in this game looked like a Master System game. Well that's an exaggeration as they are too good to be found on the SMS. Too many colors, that kind of thing. But just barely. Believe it or not the graphics in this game have fewer colors than the Genesis port which, as runinruder put it, is inexcusable. The detail level is atrocious. The backgrounds are so bland it's not even funny. Everything is in shades of brown or tan, EVERYTHING. Except the green leaves on the trees. Sprites are small and pretty ugly for the most part. Imagine the nicely detailed and superbly shaded sprites in Keith Courage. Now, imagine the opposite of that and that's what you will find in Golden Axe. Better yet, just imagine the sprites found in the sidescrolling-view (the "distant perspective") parts of Genpei Toumaden and run with that idea. While the graphics are pretty bad, the graphics in GT are worse overall, so it's not the worst that I've seen. I might even be able to give the game a pass in this regard if the scrolling and animation didn't blow donkey nuts. This game scrolls more roughly than any other game I've ever played. They would have been better off going the Energy route and just changing the scene when you reached the edge of the screen. What the f*ck happened here? The animation is also horrendous- when you jump the animation of your character flying through the air must have a framerate of about 2 FPS.

For some reason I was expecting the gameplay to suck, which it actually didn't for the most part. All negatives aside, the game is very playable. Much more so than something like Genpei. It's not "perfect" and probably not as good as the Genesis port but once you get past the jittery scrolling and framerate from Hell you get into the groove. I played through quite a bit of the game before I got a Game Over at which point I got hungry so I turned it off and made dinner. I do, however, plan to go back today and play it some more. It's probably worse than any other console port, although I've only played the Genesis one so I can't really make that statement. If a SMS port exists, this version might actually be better. If you're a fan of classic SEGA arcade games however, then GA CD is a must-buy for the cinemas and music alone. Just be prepared for the shockingly bad graphics and scrolling. Although if you're like me, you'll probably find a small piece of yourself become attached to it.

When all is said and done though, I wish NEC Avenue had handled the reprogramming of this one.

Kitsunexus

Re: Golden Axe CD
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 06:35:14 AM »
There is a Golden Axe for SMS, but it's not what you think:

GUTS

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:39:24 AM »
I was always disappointed with Golden Axe on Genesis because of how much smaller everything was (I used to play the arcade game like a mother f*cker when I was a kid), while Altered Beast seemed a lot closer to the arcade version, retaining the huge sprites.  I almost bought the PCE version more than once, thank God I never did.

Not to get off subject, but Nat did you ever play Golden Axe III?  That one gets terrible reviews from retards all the time, but I loved it and thought it was miles ahead of the first two (Genesis versions, not arcade).

Tablet

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 07:08:42 AM »
There is a Golden Axe for SMS, but it's not what you think:

That is Golden Axe Warrior.

This is the SMS port, i find it too choppy to actually play but hey it was the SMS

td741

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:12:16 AM »
It's been a while since I played the SMS port (of Golden Axe, not Golden Axe Warrior) but from what I remember:
-single player
-can only play the male warrior.  (Instead of selecting your character, you select the magic you can use.)
-controls were decent (many SMS games are plagued with lousy controls)
-graphics were very good for the SMS (magic worked okay, backgrounds were pixelly but decent, animation was fine but some moves might be missing)
-sound was relatively okay for an SMS game (music was a good approximation, no yelling.)

Aside from the Arcade, I think the VGA PC (DOS) version of Golden Axe ended up being best.  2 Player, In tact Graphics, music was okay (with sound card), yelling was done via the PC Speaker but was intact.  I was disappointed by Amiga Version (hampered mostly by single-fire-button)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:27:51 AM »
PCE Golden Axe is single player as well, isn't it?  That alone is enough to turn me off.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 08:25:31 AM »
Yea I had the Master System version. If you ignore the fact the other 2 characters are missing its not a big deal,as you get a Conan style ending on the game which is worth it.It does move  a little choppy,but visually still looks closer to the arcade then the Pc Engine one. The Pc-Engine one was obviously created from the ground up,everything looks reworked. They seem to be missing trow on Pc-Engine too,or at least I have not managed to trow anyone. I like all 3 ports though,each has something different to offer.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 08:39:07 AM »
Not to get off subject, but Nat did you ever play Golden Axe III?  That one gets terrible reviews from retards all the time, but I loved it and thought it was miles ahead of the first two (Genesis versions, not arcade).

I had that game before my Sega Classics Collection disc went bad. LOVED THAT GAME.

nat

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 08:40:36 AM »

No I avoided it because everyone hated on it all the time.

I think it's available on the VC. If it is I'll download it and give it a try.

nodtveidt

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 08:57:01 AM »
You know, nat...you posted this in the wrong forum. :D

nat

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 09:04:36 AM »
You know, nat...you posted this in the wrong forum. :D

Actually that was intentional.

It's part of my ongoing campaign that the two forums are redundant and need to be merged.

guyjin

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 09:12:35 AM »
Golden Axe 3 has some interesting features, but it's nowhere near as good as the original. an average beat-em-up.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

gekioh

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 09:26:04 AM »
I agree w/ Guts about Golden Axe III. I think its killer. Love it to death, my personal favorite GA.

WoodyXP

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »

Golden Axe CD could have kicked some major ass.  I wonder if SEGA paid the developers to
sabotage the game... it's that horrible, IMO.

And yeah.. Golden Axe III kicks ass. 

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 11:28:59 AM »
Golden Axe PCE will always be one of my favorite PCE titles, since it was the first CD game I saw and of the first I owned. The cinemas and other non-gameplay elements made me appreciate all versions of Golden Axe all the more.

Its ironic that its the textbook example of how to do a CD version of a classic arcade game right... except for the core game itself. Too many CD games are basically a cart/card port with CD music added.

Some of the background art/graphics is alright on its own(its shaded better than many other PCE games), but like Strider ACD the various flaws combine to tarnish the overall experience. The actual gameplay isn't too far off of the shallow original.

Since its cheap, its worth buying even just to watch the cinemas using the debug trick, let alone for the cool soundtrack.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum