Author Topic: Golden Axe CD  (Read 1502 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: Golden Axe CD
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »
rASStan 1 is pretty good.  I prefer the SMS version over the arcade as far as actual gameplay is concerned.  The arcade is a bitch.  rASStan 2 sucks doggy balls.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
rASStan 2 sucks doggy balls.

It has great music though.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2008, 09:08:38 PM »
Yeah it has some nice shit goin' on wit da audio and all that.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 09:12:48 PM »
rASStan 1 is pretty good.  I prefer the SMS version over the arcade as far as actual gameplay is concerned.  The arcade is a bitch.

The C64 version is unfinishable due to a glitch in one level with a pit you can't cross.

I also found this same kind of glitch in Rastan II arcade...  :roll:

WoodyXP

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 10:09:07 PM »
It was a bad guess to assume that having two players takes up more memory on the disc. 

Now now.. you're a not mind reader my friend.  I didn't assume that.  But yeah.. you're pretty much on point, IMO.  You notice
that the system doesn't access the CD when the SFX play.. so you know those files are getting stored somewhere in memory.  Poor
memory management more than likely lead to the game not having a second player.

Then there's the theory that the folks who put this CD together didn't have access to the final build of Golden Axe... blah blah blah...yeah..
it's hard to tell what the f*ck really happened.  But it's all good, really.. since nobody wants to play Golden Axe with me anyway... ahahahah..  :lol:

nodtveidt

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 01:44:17 AM »
The voice samples are probably stored in the ADPCM buffer.

nat

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 02:37:02 AM »
Rastan, in any incarnation, sucks. A lot. I will not have Rastan bullshit polluting my GA thread.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 04:49:45 AM »
Rastan was one of my fave arcade games (despite how bloody hard it was) and the SMS version is fantastic. Don't be dissin' Rastan.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

nat

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 05:15:56 AM »
In all fairness, I've never played the SMS version, so I'll give you a pass.

Black Tiger

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 05:32:20 AM »
rASStan 2 sucks doggy balls.

It has great music though.

Yeah, those tunes are thumpin'. 8)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 08:22:04 AM »
I got Golden Axe III today on the VC. GUTS is right, it's pretty good!

I got to the Gate of Fate then I got a Game Over. I must have been close to the end, though. Or maybe not. Who knows.

I really like the music in GA III. It's not abrasive like a lot of Genesis sound.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 11:15:10 AM »
Golden Axe 3's music is pretty quiet and mellow, but it has some really well constructed melodies in there.  I have an arrangement of one of the tunes on my hard drive somewhere.  It is great!

Black Tiger

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2008, 12:45:08 PM »
I got Golden Axe III today on the VC. GUTS is right, it's pretty good!

I got to the Gate of Fate then I got a Game Over. I must have been close to the end, though. Or maybe not. Who knows.

I really like the music in GA III. It's not abrasive like a lot of Genesis sound.

I'm no beat 'em up/hack 'n slash expert, but I've always felt that most games in the genres are centered around decent, ranging from okay to good and that there aren't too many unbelievably good or terrible titles.

Which is why I've wondered over the years how Golden Axe III MD could really be so bad, since it seems easier to make an average beat em up/hack n slasher than it is to make a real hunk of garbage.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ceti alpha

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »
Golden Axe 3's music is pretty quiet and mellow, but it has some really well constructed melodies in there.  I have an arrangement of one of the tunes on my hard drive somewhere.  It is great!

Agreed. If you find that arrangement send it over.  :mrgreen:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2008, 02:57:25 PM »
I guess a lot of people didn't like it so much because it is very different than the first two GA games. It does have a different BG style with a lot of moving parallax.  It plays really different as well from the moves, control etc.... Also, GA3 never made it to the US other than the SEGA Channel. I played it on the Genesis Collection for PS2 and enjoyed it somewhat, but not nearly as much as GA 1 and 2. I still like to play my 4-in-1 Sega CD Classics Collection with SOR 1, GA 1, Columns, and Revenge of Shinobi.