Author Topic: Golden Axe CD  (Read 1517 times)

nat

Re: Golden Axe CD
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 11:43:48 AM »
The actual gameplay isn't too far off of the shallow original.

That's right, I found the gameplay mostly intact.

While I don't hold the same nostalgic feelings for it like you do, it sounds like you have similar feelings about it overall.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 12:06:08 PM »
I wonder if it is against some law to have a two-player version of Golden Axe on CD.  When they took the two player Genesis version and put it on the Sega Classics disc, they purposely made it single player only, probably to obey the laws at the time.  Damn Republocrats!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »
The problem is, that this game was done by Renovation(not Laser Soft, who were resposible for the Turbo CD version of Valis 3, Reno did the Gen Valis 3).  More often then not, atleast on the Turbo, Renovation games tend to suck.  Exile is probably their best game, as it's pretty damn clean, & nice to look at(note, that Exile 2 was by Riot).  Final Zone 2 was also done by Reno, & it's ok, nothing spectacular.  There are others that aren't even worth mentioning, like Death Bringer.

Keranu

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 02:54:35 PM »
I wonder if it is against some law to have a two-player version of Golden Axe on CD.  When they took the two player Genesis version and put it on the Sega Classics disc, they purposely made it single player only, probably to obey the laws at the time.  Damn Republocrats!
Whoa, what the hell? I never realized that, what's the point?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

WoodyXP

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 04:38:08 PM »
Whoa, what the hell? I never realized that, what's the point?

My only guess is they cut out the second player to make room for ghey-ass, CD-Quality SFX.  "OUCH!!"  :lol:

nat

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »
I actually don't have a problem with no 2 player option in the Turbo version. 95% of the time I play games I play by myself, the other 5% of the time is with my wife and she wouldn't be into something like Golden Axe. It's usually Bubble Bobble, Mario Party, Bomberman, that sort of thing.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 04:43:39 PM »
Multiplayer was removed because due to system limitations at the time, the system could only hold one player. The second player would have to stream directly from disc, and considering 90's console CD access times, it would be unplayable and thus was scrapped.

This of course is 100% bullshit but sounds more logical than anything anyone else has put out so far.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »
Quote from: WoodyXP

My only guess is they cut out the second player to make room for ghey-ass, CD-Quality SFX.  "OUCH!!"  :lol:

Bad guess.

WoodyXP

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 05:18:38 PM »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »
Bad guess.

Let's hear yours.

My only initial guess is they were not sure how to manage the systems ram well.This disc is after all one of the first.

WoodyXP

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »
My only initial guess is they were not sure how to manage the systems ram well.This disc is after all one of the first.

I want to hear what Mr. Redifer has to say, unless you're the same person of course.  So, Joe Redifer.. bring your bitch
ass out here and let's hear it.  8)

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 06:29:28 PM »
Surely more then Joe are allowed to guess though ? :( I'm sure Joe's will be the most awesome though,it usually is.

WoodyXP

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »
Surely more then Joe are allowed to guess though ?

Of course, your guess was appreciated.

I'm sure Joe's will be the most awesome though,it usually is.

I hope so... I'm rolling out the red carpet and handing an invitation to this little cunt.  It better be good.  8)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 08:03:49 PM »
It was a bad guess to assume that having two players takes up more memory on the disc.  The only other things that were changed about the game were the redbook music (which would actually free up memory since chip music wouldn't need to be loaded into RAM) and some better sound effects that were taken from the arcade.  Streets of Rage (also on the same disc) had this same treatment with the voices but remained two players.  So I really don't think the sound had anything at all to do with it.

Michael's guess is a little bit better (about not knowing how to mess with the RAM properly, etc)... but then again Streets of Rage has two players intact.  I don't think it was a technical issue.  Either someone f*cked up when porting over the game to the CD (they had to slice it up for the RAM banks) and forgot to set it right or they turned it off due to the "No two player Golden Axe on a CD" law.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 08:05:44 PM by Joe Redifer »

Kitsunexus

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »
I think it's because Golden Axe f*cking sucks, and they KNEW it f*cking sucks, so they made the obvious choice of doing a half-ass port and still making enough for drinks and pizza.

And in the end, that's what counts right?

Rastan > Golden Axe.