Author Topic: DARKWING DUCK  (Read 1323 times)

MurderDate

DARKWING DUCK
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:05:44 PM »

I'm kinda obsessed with this game for the night..  I saw some screenshots that look nice - much better than I thought they were.  I wish there was some youtube footage.. not much at all to read about this game on the net, actually.  Does anybody out there actually like it?  Any thoughts?   I like my share of "bad" games if the ambiance is right.   
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Michael Helgeson

Re: DARKWING DUCK
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:15:59 PM »
The graphics were great for a Disney title,but the gameplay was bad,and the audio was not impressive.

vestcoat

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »
It's weird, I like it.  Better than Impossamole, not quite as good as Tailspin.
They actually recycled at least one of the tunes from Tailspin and used it as boss music in DD, which is pretty weak IMO.

ceti alpha

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 03:24:27 PM »
I'm kinda obsessed with this game for the night..  I saw some screenshots that look nice - much better than I thought they were.  I wish there was some youtube footage.. not much at all to read about this game on the net, actually.  Does anybody out there actually like it?  Any thoughts?   I like my share of "bad" games if the ambiance is right.   

I think I played that at the Radio Shack demo machine back in the day. lol. I remember that the graphics were quite good for the time, though I'm sketchy in terms of what the gameplay was like.  :-k But yeah, it's rarely mentioned. There's a factory sealed Darkwing Duck on eBay for 15.60 CAN. Considering the other sales are over 30 bucks for a factory sealed game, it seems like a good deal. Though makes me wonder why there's so many factory sealed Darkwing Duck games. No one wants to play it?  :-s At least the box art isn't the usual Turbografx ugly. That game definitely stood out on the racks at Radio Shack. heh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DARKWING-DUCK-TURBO-GRAFX-16-DUO-HuCard-factory-SEALED_W0QQitemZ140200483139QQihZ004QQcategoryZ72501QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122#ebayphotohosting

Here's some screen shots:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/turbo-grafx/disneys-darkwing-duck/screenshots

Here's some other shots (ending spoilers!  :P):

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/tg16/a/dark.htm

...on a side note - How do you rename links so they aren't so long? I think Trekweb spoiled me. They have a function that does it automatically for you.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Odonadon

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »
It's weird, I like it.  Better than Impossamole, not quite as good as Tailspin.

I disagree, I think Impossamole is way better than Darkwing Duck (and Tailspin).  I find Darkwing Duck very painful to play - the controls are horrible.  The only thing this game has going for it are the great Disney cartoon graphics.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »
LET'S GET DANGEROUS.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 06:08:40 PM »
You have to extend the Daaaaaangerous!

Anyways, Impossamole blows Darkwing out of the water, not that it's perfect, far from it, but, DD is terrible.  Good graphics, though, kind of blocky at times, love the magnifying glass, & the ridiculous amount of paralax in Moriarty's level, you'd think it was a shmup! 

BTW, is there a driving level in DD?  I've only beaten it on easy, but, I have a picture, from before the game was released, showing DD on his bike, in a 3D(Outrun) view.  Does that happen on normal difficulty?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
You have to extend the Daaaaaangerous!

No no, I wasn't doing like when Darkwing says it, I was doing like the intro.

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »
As a notorious sucker for bad and cheesy games, Darkwing Ducks was one of the few games I just never liked. Aside from the cool sequences in the lab before levels, I really never appreciated what else this game has to offer and didn't understand how to fight bosses either. Really dull levels, but graphics weren't too bad. Tailspin is the better of the two Disneys games I think.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 10:51:09 PM »
The game is an embarrassment to other Disney games on NES and Genesis. When you compare DWD to something like Castle of Illusion...its just sad. DWD's main problem is the floaty controls and *horrible* collision causing you to take damage from enemies you legitimately attacked. The graphics are OK, but its crap.

ceti alpha

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 01:00:33 AM »
The graphics are OK, but its crap.

hehehe. You can just look at the screenshots of the game to see that it would be awkward to play. And yeah, it is embarrassing when you consider what the other Disney games were like on NES and Genesis.  :oops:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Sinistron

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 01:07:24 AM »
It's a below average title for sure- but it's not in the bottom dregs of my pc-engine games.  For instance- I find it better than Alice in Wonderdream, Turrican (HATE this p.o.s.), Titan, Klax, Burning Angels (I'll get crucified for saying that), Saint Dragon, Cloud Master and Kiki Kaikai (two of the worst man-this-looks-good-but-isn't-fun-to-play carts IMO).  TaleSpin IS better- but TaleSpin is pretty average though it has a good playing variety.  Anyway- just as everyone says- the DWD gameplay is pretty shitty.  The graphics are great- and Darkwing himself is pretty sweet- pretty much what made me want to beat it- though I was only able to in easy mode because the controls really are that nerve wracking.  It isn't one of those games that I wish I never bought though- I knew it would be below average going in but I still wanted to play it and beat it- even if in easy mode- if you do get it just expect the worst and hope for something fun for a hot minute.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

MurderDate

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 01:12:31 AM »
I've noticed on EBay it is a pretty in-demand game..  Actually that sealed copy for $15 is a steal -  the game sold (twice) for like $30 and $40 last month. 

I have a copy coming my way..  totally stoked to play it.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

esteban

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 02:41:02 AM »
I just bought the copy you folks posted in this thread.

I've played this game before and it is one of those games I couldn't play for more than a few minutes, and I am a certified masochist when it comes to games.

The fact that I have zero interest in Darkwing Duck is part of my problem, as well.

But, that said, I'm going to give this game another chance.

I'm also going to give Ghost Manor another chance.

:)
  |    | 

nat

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 03:33:26 AM »
Ghost Manor is awesome. It's 10x the game DWD could ever hope to be.

It's funny this thread showed up, just last weekend I sat down and played through on Easy mode though I've had the game for some time. Like most games, the controls aren't that bad once you master them. I think the control issues in Impossamole are far worse, though I enjoy that game to some degree too.

Whoever said it was a disappointment in light of the Genesis and SNES Disney titles got it right though, look at a beauty like Alladin on the SNES, and you'll be really hating Disney/TTI for this.

It's an average platformer for me, with graphics ranging from average to good. The biggest letdown here is the music, which, staying true to the precedent set by Night Creatures, has two or three tunes that recycle throughout. The best number is the boss tune, which I just learned was stolen from Talespin anyway.

I still need to find a copy of Talespin.