Author Topic: DARKWING DUCK  (Read 1330 times)

MurderDate

Re: DARKWING DUCK
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 03:55:53 AM »
I have Ghost Manor..  I can't handle it.  I can't even get to level 2.   ha
(the final boss fight up on youtube looks f*ckin' sweet, that's why I bought it..  plus I'm a bit of a horror buff, so..)

esteban - glad you the got the sealed DWD.  You should take a picture of yourself holding it up & post it here.
btw how old are you, dude?  I was like 11 in 1991 and Darkwing Duck was definitely the shit back then!

I'm not really put off by lousy control issues in a game (unless it's REALLY bad..).  To me personally, the controls in Forgotten Worlds suck pretty bad but you never hear anyone complaining about that. Even the control in Bonk's..  let's just say it's got personality

hmm I want to play Tailspin.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Sinistron

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 04:02:23 AM »
Ghost Manor is awesome.  You need help getting past a certain level?  I had problems for awhile but then figured it out.  I'm thinking you're talking about the second board actually- you have to power up your shot which will then split in two- it's like the only way you can shoot that dude at the bottom in the cave/hollow whom you need to kill.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

nat

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 04:05:21 AM »
I was stuck on that one for a long time to. After you pass that level the game is busted wide open.

I could never figure out that you had to actually kill that ogre to get the key. I kept thinking it was just hidden somewhere.

Ghost Manor is a fantastic game.

Underrated, unappreciated, misunderstood.

MurderDate

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 06:33:28 AM »
GHOST MANOR :  man,  this level (2) is sooo hard !  I just now realized the bullets turn from purple to red - and that's when they're powered up.  But regarding hitting that guy who throws the knives - when can you strike ? I killed the guy up top no problem but the one on the bottom is hard. HE has the key ?

I'll check it out later tonight.   thanks men ! :P

nat

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 06:50:51 AM »
Yeah he's got the key. He's not that hard. Try to hit him in his head. If I remember right there is a stalagmite or something on the ground in front of him that blocks your shots unless you jump and shoot him in the head. He takes a few hits before he goes down.

Sinistron

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 07:23:49 AM »
I remember it being that your shot has to be powered up as much as possible so that it shoots out as two.  I thought he had to be hit low.  Murderdate- be stingy with those shots- don't use them all up.  True though- Ghost Manor is definitely the shit.  Takes some skill but you keep getting further.  I remember the second board being tricky with some jumps and hitting those snowfreaks just right.  Those flying things can be a bitch too.  If I were you I'd collect all the orbs to power your shot up so that it shoots two- then kill that guy to get the key- then get to the top - I think there's something on the top left?  Free guy?  Don't remember.  Then kill that second guy easily and exit the level.

atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

esteban

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 09:53:35 AM »
I have Ghost Manor..  I can't handle it.  I can't even get to level 2.   ha
(the final boss fight up on youtube looks f*ckin' sweet, that's why I bought it..  plus I'm a bit of a horror buff, so..)

esteban - glad you the got the sealed DWD.  You should take a picture of yourself holding it up & post it here.
btw how old are you, dude?  I was like 11 in 1991 and Darkwing Duck was definitely the shit back then!

I'm not really put off by lousy control issues in a game (unless it's REALLY bad..).  To me personally, the controls in Forgotten Worlds suck pretty bad but you never hear anyone complaining about that. Even the control in Bonk's..  let's just say it's got personality

hmm I want to play Tailspin.
Tailspin or Talespin or whatever it is called is a medicore game. It's not horrible, but it is pretty bland. I think you can raise the default difficulty, but you're still not going to be challenged... which would really help things, IMO. As someone mentioned recently, there is a variety of gameplay in TaleSpin that keeps things slightly more interesting than it would have otherwise been. One pet peeve: I've never like that Balloo throws coconuts underhanded. I should be the last one to complain about this, but for some reason it really irks me. Go figure.

As for Darkwing Duck, I'm glad you said that you were able to get used to the controls. I have never given the game a chance, but if the controls do not break the game, then I should be OK.

------------
DuckTales was the cartoon I liked when I was "too old" (6-7th grade) for Disney cartoons. By the time Darkwing Duck came out, it didn't seem compelling to me (I watched a few episodes when it first aired). It might be a good cartoon... I've just never watched it. I can't remember much from Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, either... but I think I liked Rescue Rangers more than Darkwing Duck, if that helps.

I can say that DuckTales went downhill as a series at some point (they added some new characters and the plot lines were not nearly as interesting... I remember being annoyed by Launchpad rather quickly... I might be more forgiving now, though. I haven't seen the show in a bazillion years.

Of all these Disney cartoons, though, I think I disliked TaleSpin the most.

And I think Gummi Bears was a friggin' fun show, so I think I'm all over the place when it comes to judging these shows.
------------
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 09:58:45 AM »
Ghost Manor is awesome. It's 10x the game DWD could ever hope to be.

It's funny this thread showed up, just last weekend I sat down and played through on Easy mode though I've had the game for some time. Like most games, the controls aren't that bad once you master them. I think the control issues in Impossamole are far worse, though I enjoy that game to some degree too.
Yeah, Black_Tiger got me interested in Ghost Manor... and then when all you folks started spreading the love about this game, I realized that I had to revisit it.

Of course, I've been trying to get Ghost Manor for a few years now... and it just happened to be offered by the same fellow who is selling DarkWing Duck.

I want to give Gunboat another chance as well. I read runin's (?) review recently.

I think it is fun to revisit some of the games that I didn't like when I was a kid and see if I can appreciate them now. It's fun. If only folks would do this for Blodia and China Warrior!
  |    | 

nat

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »
I just sold off my extra copy of Ghost Manor. Where were you? Oh, that's right, you took a year vacation from the forums.

Gunboat isn't bad either. See runinruder's review re: my own feelings on it.

I still have a brand new, shrinkwrapped copy of Falcon sitting here that I've never touched. Maybe one day after I have beaten every other Turbo game...

I think it is fun to revisit some of the games that I didn't like when I was a kid and see if I can appreciate them now. It's fun. If only folks would do this for Blodia and China Warrior!

Preach it, brotha.

ceti alpha

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 10:53:09 AM »
I still have a brand new, shrinkwrapped copy of Falcon sitting here that I've never touched. Maybe one day after I have beaten every other Turbo game...

Poor Falcon...gets no love. I killed that game when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I beat it, and I'm pretty sure it's just like Gunboat - no ending.  :| I kinda forget though. However, Gunboat will definitely have to be bought. In any case, Falcon had one of the best North America HuCARD designs. It was one of the only ones that actually had a picture.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »
I just bought the copy you folks posted in this thread.

I've played this game before and it is one of those games I couldn't play for more than a few minutes, and I am a certified masochist when it comes to games.

The fact that I have zero interest in Darkwing Duck is part of my problem, as well.

But, that said, I'm going to give this game another chance.

I'm also going to give Ghost Manor another chance.

:)

I came pretty close to buying it, but, it's just more money to spend, however, I was still tempted, now, you have removed temptation from me! :D

I stopped liking Disney cartoons, when Goof Troop came out, I hated that show.  I love Ducktales, Talespin, & Darkwing Duck.  Chip n Dale were....ok, & I think I remember diggin Gummi Bears, but, really haven't seen it in years to say for sure.

MurderDate

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
man I love all those shows.  You guys are bringing back some great memories for me.

Ghost Manor -   Sinistron I CANNOT figure out how to get my orbs there to double up ?? hasn't happend yet.  I don't know how much more powerful I can get them - they go from purple to red-  right ?

I finally noticed you are supposed to "search" inside doorways and stuff - but the stars go flinging across the game.  If, say, a heart or a orb power-up get flung somewhere out of sght , are they gone from there or will they be hiding some place off screen? I can't seem to find any.

So am I to believe that you basically have to reset the game if you run out of orbs while youre playing?  You have to die and start over? OMG

Enjoying the game - but it's tough ! 

nat

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 05:33:31 PM »
Ghost Manor -   Sinistron I CANNOT figure out how to get my orbs there to double up ?? hasn't happend yet.  I don't know how much more powerful I can get them - they go from purple to red-  right ?

They go from purple to red to double. Or maybe the red is double. Can't remember.

I finally noticed you are supposed to "search" inside doorways and stuff - but the stars go flinging across the game.  If, say, a heart or a orb power-up get flung somewhere out of sght , are they gone from there or will they be hiding some place off screen?

When they go flying like that it's to indicate you have effectively "collected" whatever the given powerup was. It doesn't go anywhere except into your pocket.

So am I to believe that you basically have to reset the game if you run out of orbs while youre playing? 

Yes. Be conservative. This game is 50% strategy.

Another note: it's really not necessary you have the "double shot" to defeat the ogre at the bottom hiding the key. Really. He only takes like 5-7 shots and then he's down, half that if you have the double. Just make sure you are actually hitting him. Whenever I first start the stage, I go up, then all the way to the bottom right, collect the weapon powerup, then go back left and defeat the ogre immediately before trying to f*ck with the rest of the level. It's pointless trying to putz around collecting weapon powerups, while losing life, if you don't even have the key to get into the Manor.

Black Tiger

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
I made a sort of play log/mini walkthrough for most of Ghost Manor back when I first played it during a previous discussion-

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2264.0
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nodtveidt

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 11:04:24 PM »
It's kind of disturbing that DWD is such a bad game, especially considering it was delayed several times before being released. When a game is delayed, it usually means it's getting improved so a better product will result. Bleh...see, even back then, licensed games tended to suck. Today the suckitude is simply magnified.