Author Topic: DARKWING DUCK  (Read 1318 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: DARKWING DUCK
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 11:10:51 PM »
It's kind of disturbing that DWD is such a bad game, especially considering it was delayed several times before being released. When a game is delayed, it usually means it's getting improved so a better product will result.

Yeah, I don't know about that.
Bleh...see, even back then, licensed games tended to suck. Today the suckitude is simply magnified.

Yeah, I don't know about that either. There was a time when licensed games were almost always bad, and often unplayable. For every Super Star Wars there is a Shaq Fu, a Home Improvement, and a Home Alone.

Anime games in particular are very good on a regular basis. It used to be that 9/10 games from Bandai were so bad you'd only play them once, now they release great titles every year.

Sinistron

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 01:05:18 AM »
Can you really beat that guy without the double shot?  I remember trying a gazillion times and I'd hit him like once or twice as if by a glitch and I'd try standing everywhere and jumping.  Murderdate- with the double shot- if you're standing right in front of an enemy it doesn't look like a double shot- the shot spreads out into two over a distance.  As for the doors- I think on that level they just shoot you around the board to different doors that you can already reach? I know later on in the game you need to go in some but there's another real bitch- some doors take you back to the beginning of the forking game!  From the later levels!  When that happens you just have to curse in crazed frustration and make a note to not revisit the same door.  Yes the game is challenging- but something kept drawing me into it.  Someday I've got to get back to the end boss so I can whup his ass...  But memorizing all the doors from scratch again will be a chore.  Guess I'll be using that walkthrough just posted.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Sinistron

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 01:08:39 AM »
ahhhhhh jump and shoot while he's throwing daggers is it?  OK Murderdate scratch what I said lol.  My bad.  These fine folk are right and I'm wrong- of course if you double the shot you can kill him easier- but I see now it's not necessary.

MurderDate

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 02:04:25 AM »

man I LOVE Ghost Manor.   Played that bitch for hours last night.   I can't wait until the sun goes down so I can play some more tonight.

THANKS GUYS !! (especially nat, sinistron, black tiger & esteban)

Huge amount of love & info here!

I can't wait for DARKWING DUCK to arrive !!     Coming in the same box with Gate of Thunder (!!)   SWEET !
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

nat

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 03:08:17 AM »

man I LOVE Ghost Manor.   Played that bitch for hours last night.   I can't wait until the sun goes down so I can play some more tonight.

Yeah, the music is nice, especially if you turn it down a little bit, but still audible. At night, alone, very atmospheric.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 03:44:40 AM »
It's kind of disturbing that DWD is such a bad game, especially considering it was delayed several times before being released. When a game is delayed, it usually means it's getting improved so a better product will result.

I'd hate to see it before it was delayed and improved; I'm betting that it looked a bit like Drop Rock with Darkwing Duck characters instead of fruit.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MurderDate

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 05:00:10 AM »
I went through a whole round of ammo trying to shoot that guy on the bottom throwing the daggers - I only got like 2 shots in.  It's impossible to time it.  I am thinking I should collect most of the power ups and get the double shot -  the problem then is that if you die you have to reset the entire game over (not a huge deal, but annoying) because if you collect all the power ups the first time around you won't be able to collect any this time.   I love the game and I'm not one to consider such eccentricities as flaws but that's .. pretty harsh  pushin' pretty hard

Sinistron

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 05:09:05 AM »
Just master the board til it's like breathing- then do it my way.  Double shot kill that forking clown.   :-"

nat

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 06:01:44 AM »
I played all the way through Darkwing Duck last night, for the first time.

It's not a horrible game, really. The worst part about it is the controls, which you can get used to. The bosses are all easier than the levels that precede them. The visuals are pretty nice all the way through with plenty of parallax.

My biggest complaint is the game is too short, a mere four levels.

MurderDate

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »
cool, nat.  I can't wait for my copy to show up in the mail.    I don't mind at all if the boss is easy at the end of a particularly tricky level - especially if he looks good.

I have only beaten a handful TG16 games so far but it seems to me like a lot of them might be on the short side.

I was playing Pac Land today - despite not being able to figure out how to jump off of those springboards properly I did pretty well !

nat

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 12:21:04 PM »
It's funny you mention Pac-Land and short games in the same message.

Pac-Land is extremely long. After you beat the game (32 levels), it unlocks a second secret game on the cartridge called "Pac-Land PRO" which is yet another 32 levels.

ceti alpha

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 01:27:03 PM »
Pac-Land is extremely long. After you beat the game (32 levels), it unlocks a second secret game on the cartridge called "Pac-Land PRO" which is yet another 32 levels.
'

Woa! Seriously? How much Pac-Land can one person take? lol  :shock:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Sinistron

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 01:03:13 AM »
Yeah that Pac-land pro is ridiculous. 
Fianlly got to the last guy of Soldier Blade last night- that "I'll be back/I'll kill you" bastard- I would have stayed up and whipped him but it was already 12:30.  He's a joke until his you take off his shield and gun, eh?  That whole short last level is jokey- Mission 6 is the one I was stuck on forever.

esteban

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »
I played all the way through Darkwing Duck last night, for the first time.

It's not a horrible game, really. The worst part about it is the controls, which you can get used to. The bosses are all easier than the levels that precede them. The visuals are pretty nice all the way through with plenty of parallax.

My biggest complaint is the game is too short, a mere four levels.
All I remember, from many moons ago, is jumping around the first level. Even those vague memories are making me cringe right now as I type this.

And, you folks who beat Ghost Manor: what is the flying stage like (you fly around in a skull, or something)? I always thought that stage looked really neat, but I've never gotten there.
  |    | 

MurderDate

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2008, 12:13:56 AM »
D-WingDuck :

so I played through the game on easy mode last night.   I'm gonna paint myself into a corner here with this one , but :  LOVED IT !
BETTER THAN GHOST MANOR !  As soon as you get the controls down the game actually plays really great.  You are bottom-heavy, like a duck , sure.  But all the jumping feels GREAT !   I didn't like the music at first until I put together that it's supposed to be a film noir spin off and then overall I'd say I changed my mind.  Graphics are great all around - if you like the late era hu-cards vibe as much as I do you won't have any complaints there.   Now the main thing that gets me about this game is how much more difficult the bosses are once you switch from easy mode to "normal" mode.  I only played one (and this was preeeeety late last night), but I'd say it was ALMOST unreasonable.  Definitely will take some practice.    so overall I'd give it a 6 (Ghost Manor gets a 5 from me).

and I was waiting to hear "LET'S GET DANGEROUS!" the whole session but it never came  !!??